Dinosaur Feathers Preserved in Amber

Cretaceous theropod feathers with pictures

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dinosaur Feathers Preserved in Amber

#21  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 17, 2011 1:00 am

Merge complete. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Onyx8 » Sep 17, 2011 2:05 am

Wonderful
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby AlohaChris » Sep 17, 2011 2:35 am

Just for the record, I saw this story yesterday and intentionally left the scoop open for Thero. :smug:
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby theropod » Sep 20, 2011 6:10 pm

citation#1 wrote:

Eleven feather or protofeather specimens...These fossils have disparate morphologies that span four evolutionary stages for feathers.

So, the first thing the paper has to tell us is that this is not one big nugget of amber, but there are eleven cited in this study. There are four different types of feathers which have been documented to have emerged in this stages one after another.

citation#1 wrote:
Specimens include filamentous structures similar to the protofeathers of nonavian dinosaurs that are unknown in modern birds, as well as derived bird feathers displaying pigmentation and adaptations for flight and diving.

The specimens in question contain feathers which represent both non-avian theropod and bird feathers. This is important because it shows the difference between how feathers were expressed.

At this point the reader of this post should go back and look at the photos supplied with the OP. The morphologies of all the types of feathers preserved in this study is shown.

citation#1 wrote:
...stage I morphology characterized by a single filament:

This is particularly important in the study of amber-entombed feathers because preservation is biased toward feather subcomponents, which provide the basis for our morphological comparisons.

Stage I is represented by UALVP 52821, which contains a dense forest of regularly spaced, flexible filaments with a mean diameter of 16.4 T 4.2 mm (Fig. 1B and figs. S1 to S4).

Their closest morphological match is the filamentous covering found of nonavian dinosaurs such as the compsognathid Sinosauropteryx prima (18). The amber-entombed specimens are slightly finer than those of Sinosauropteryx, which may have been distorted by compression and permineralization.

----------------------

IMAGE SOURCE

... Dave's feathers also come in three types: simple hair-like fibers (primarily on the head and tail), sprays of fibers (apparent on the hind limbs and shoulders), and asymmetrical feathers like those of a modern bird (on the trailing edge of the arm).

* See additional citation below

IMAGE SOURCE

For example, the presence of dense filamentous feathers on Sinosauropteryx suggests these theropods were endothermic, and that heat retention was the primary function of the feathers.

* See additional citation below

citation#1 wrote:
The stage II morphotype (Figs. 1, C and D, and fig. S5) consists of tightly adpressed clusters approximately 0.2 mm in width and composed of filaments that are otherwise similar to those already discussed.

Again, please refer to the images posted in the op.

citation#1 wrote:The most morphologically comparable compression fossils are protofeathers associated with the dromaeosaurid Sinornithosaurus millenii

Specimens include filamentous structures similar to the protofeathers of nonavian dinosaurs that are unknown in modern birds, as well as derived bird feathers displaying pigmentation and adaptations for flight and diving.

Their closest morphological match is the filamentous covering found of nonavian dinosaurs such as the compsognathid Sinosauropteryx prima.

Review the above images and links * concerning the link to S. prima.

citation#1 wrote:
...additional specimens from Canadian amber have barbules specialized for discrete functions. In TMP 96.9.334 (Figs 2, A to C, and figs. S6 and S7) (10), a thickened rachis is surrounded by numerous barbules with tightly coiled bases.

Modern seedsnipes and sandgrouse possess belly feathers with similar basal barbule coiling, which allows water to be retained for transport to the nest for distribution to nestlings or for cooling incubating eggs. Grebes also have coiled barbules that absorb water into plumage, facilitating diving by modifying buoyancy, reducing hydrodynamic turbulence, and improving insulation .

On the basis of the presence of a rachis in TMP 96.9.334 and differentiated barbules in UALVP 52820, these specimens can be assigned conservatively to stages IV and V and are attributed to Late Cretaceous birds.

Here the comparative analysis of the morphological features has found structures present in temporally extant birds, and how they know these are not yet more non-avain dinosaurs. It's the same way they know the other amber nuggets do contain theropod feathers.

citation#1 wrote:
However, the discovery of endmembers of the evolutionary-developmental spectrum in this time interval, and the overlap with structures found only in nonavian dinosaur compression fossils, strongly suggests that the protofeathers described here are from dinosaurs and not birds.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. By close examination of these fossil feathers, comparing those to know lithographic fossil, having no other evidence to suggest a viable alternative the study shows that among the specimens cited there are known theropod feathers.

citation#2 wrote:
Supporting Online Material for
A Diverse Assemblage of Late Cretaceous Dinosaur and Bird Feathers from Canadian Amber

Ryan C. McKellar, Brian D. E. Chatterton, Alexander P. Wolfe, Philip J. Currie

Published 16 September 2011, Science 333, 1619 (2010)
DOI: 10.1126/science.1203344

A suite of modern bird feathers and hair samples were directly compared to the amber-entombed specimens, as were morphological atlases on the microscopic structure of mammalian hairs (30, 31) and feathers (24, 25).

Sinosauropteryx prima comparison In terms of compression fossils, the Stage I morphotype filaments observed in Canadian amber are most comparable to protofeathers from Sinosauropteryx prima. The integumentary structures of S. prima display a range of lengths, from ~4 mm to at least 4.0 cm, depending on the specimen and their body position . These independent filaments range in thickness from easily observed 0.2 mm filaments to those that are considerably smaller than 0.1 mm. The filaments are hollow and round in crosssection and may have been secondary branches of larger structures or isolated filaments. Although the UALVP 52821 specimen does not display filaments with diameters as large as the maximum reported from S. prima, they are consistent with the finer filaments found in this specimen, and fall within the range of observed lengths.

The UALVP 52822 clustered filaments described as a Stage II morphotype are most similar to compression fossils surrounding Sinornithosaurus millenii. In S. millenii, although there is no direct evidence of a rachis (as with the amber specimens), barbules are clearly clustered into independent tufts with compressed widths of 1–3 mm and lengths of up to 4.5 cm (12, 20). These clustered filaments appear to have been attached basally, or in one example, inferred to have arisen from a central rachis (12, 20). Although no direct measurements of the filaments that comprise each cluster have been presented by Xu et al (20) they appear to be of sub-millimeter diameter similar to the filaments observed in amber. As in the Sinosauropteryx prima protofeathers, the clusters found with Sinornithosaurus millenii are likely to have expanded diameters as a result of filament splaying during compression.

This supplement to the main paper talks about the methods and techniques used to arrive at the findings, including the pictures and much more lab information. Each specimen is given its own detailed description and that of the inclusions.

-----------------

* Additional citation

This paper deals with the compressed lithographic fossil feathers used as a direct comparison to the amber fossils above and how this supports the dino/bird link. Not only does it add support to the amber evidence it shows how color is imparted to feathers. Fascinating!

link

"Spectacular fossils from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Group1, 2 of northeastern China have greatly expanded our knowledge of the diversity and palaeobiology of dinosaurs and early birds, and contributed to our understanding of the origin of birds, of flight, and of feathers. Pennaceous (vaned) feathers and integumentary filaments are preserved in birds, and non-avian theropod dinosaurs, but little is known of their microstructure. Here we report that melanosomes (colour-bearing organelles) are not only preserved in the pennaceous feathers of early birds, but also in an identical manner in integumentary filaments of non-avian dinosaurs, thus refuting recent claims, that the filaments are partially decayed dermal collagen fibres. Examples of both eumelanosomes and phaeomelanosomes have been identified, and they are often preserved in life position within the structure of partially degraded feathers and filaments. Furthermore, the data here provide empirical evidence for reconstructing the colours and colour patterning of these extinct birds and theropod dinosaurs: for example, the dark-coloured stripes on the tail of the theropod dinosaur Sinosauropteryx can reasonably be inferred to have exhibited chestnut to reddish-brown tones".
----
Our results demonstrate conclusively that the integumentary filaments of non-avian theropod dinosaurs are epidermal structures. In birds, melanin is synthesized endogenously in specialized pigment-producing cells, melanocytes, that occur primarily in the dermis; the melanocytes migrate into the dermal pulp of the developing feather germ, where the melanin is packaged into melanosomes and then those melanosomes are transferred to keratinocytes for deposition into developing feathers. In various avian species melanin granules also form, and are apparently retained, in dermal melanocytes; melanin granules can form a discrete layer in the dermis, but below, and not as part of, the collagen layer. The occurrence of melanosomes embedded inside the filaments of Jehol non-avian dinosaurs thus confirms that these structures are unequivocally epidermal structures, not the degraded remains of dermal collagen fibres, as has been argued recently. Our work confirms that these filaments are probably the evolutionary precursors of true feathers, and it will be interesting to determine whether any fossil filaments might relate to other kinds of epidermal outgrowths in modern birds.
----
In Sinornithosaurus the filaments are locally dominated either by eumelanosomes or phaeomelanosomes, indicating significantly different colour tones. In Confuciusornis, variation in colour within a single feather is indicated by changes in the relative abundance of phaeomelanosomes and eumelanosomes over short distances. Only phaeomelanosomes have been identified so far in filaments from the tail of Sinosauropteryx, and this suggests that the dark-coloured stripes along the tail in the fossil, and possibly also the filamentous crest along the back, exhibited chestnut to rufous (reddish-brown) tones.

If there are objections to the evidence contained in either citation I'd love to read them.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby hackenslash » Sep 23, 2011 6:49 am

Incidentally, theropod, keep an eye out for a new show called Planet Dinosaur, which should be hitting a youtube near you very soon (already available on i-player, I think). This week's episode was about theropods to aves, and was excellent (lots of CGI and detail about how they discern the colours of the feathers, etc.)

Also, this week's Horizon was a guide to dinosaurs, compiled from several decades of episodes on just that. Truly excellent, both.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby theropod » Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks Hack! I'll keep an eye out for those.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Blood » Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm

This reminds me of something I've been wanting to ask your guys for a long time.

The Curator of Birds at the Smithsonian Institute here in the USA, Storrs Olson, seems to be a big denier of the dinosaurs-to-birds paradigm. He made a big fuss about the Archaeoraptor controversy, which the anti-evolution crowd has seized upon as a proof of the duplicity of scientists.

For example, there's this:

http://www.trueorigin.org/birdevoletter.asp

The idea of feathered dinosaurs and the theropod origin of birds is being actively promulgated by a cadre of zealous scientists acting in concert with certain editors at Nature and National Geographic who themselves have become outspoken and highly biased proselytizers of the faith. Truth and careful scientific weighing of evidence have been among the first casualties in their program, which is now fast becoming one of the grander scientific hoaxes of our age---the paleontological equivalent of cold fusion.

I read some other stuff from Olson, independent of the Archaeoraptor, where he denigrates the dinosaurs-to-birds evolutionary paradigm. I thought this was essentially accepted by everyone in the natural sciences now? Is it actually "controversial"?
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby theropod » Sep 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Blood wrote:This reminds me of something I've been wanting to ask your guys for a long time.
snip...

I read some other stuff from Olson, independent of the Archaeoraptor, where he denigrates the dinosaurs-to-birds evolutionary paradigm. I thought this was essentially accepted by everyone in the natural sciences now? Is it actually "controversial"?

I don't think there's really any doubt about the link between bird sand dinosaurs. The more we recover and study from the fossil record the more the connection is established.

RS

ETA: I just read the letter supposedly written by Olson, dated 1 November 1999. I wonder if he still holds these views in light of the many feathered dinosaurs that have been recovered since then.
Last edited by theropod on Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby BlackBart » Sep 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Shrunk wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
quisquose wrote:Then I felt an enormous sadness at the thought that, whilst I was thrilled at the news, a significant percentage of the population was likely to be shaking their heads and muttering "it's all lies".
I dont think I've ever met an evolution denier in the UK. Is there a documented significant percentage?

This poll suggests the prevalence is not much different than that of the US:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... ution.html

We even have our own Creation museum... :nono:

http://crapdaysout.com/days-out/genesis-expo/
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Ironclad » Sep 23, 2011 2:56 pm

hackenslash wrote:Incidentally, theropod, keep an eye out for a new show called Planet Dinosaur, which should be hitting a youtube near you very soon (already available on i-player, I think). This week's episode was about theropods to aves, and was excellent (lots of CGI and detail about how they discern the colours of the feathers, etc.)

Also, this week's Horizon was a guide to dinosaurs, compiled from several decades of episodes on just that. Truly excellent, both.

It is excellent! John Hurt has a quality tone for the presentation. :smile:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm

hackenslash wrote:Incidentally, theropod, keep an eye out for a new show called Planet Dinosaur, which should be hitting a youtube near you very soon (already available on i-player, I think). This week's episode was about theropods to aves, and was excellent (lots of CGI and detail about how they discern the colours of the feathers, etc.)

There's also "How to Build a Dinosaur" presented by Dr Alice Roberts - which featured a small segment with Darren "Tet Zoo" Naish.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#32  Postby JoeB » Sep 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Speaking of building a dinosaur, the fun that can be had with this suit is awesome! :P (although now they have to rebuild it with feathers apparently.
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby theropod » Sep 23, 2011 6:32 pm

JoeB wrote:Speaking of building a dinosaur, the fun that can be had with this suit is awesome! :P (although now they have to rebuild it with feathers apparently.

That video is great! It does evoke a sense of realism that those kids apparently just loved.

Wishing I had one. Halloween would never be the same around these parts! Trouble is I'd probably get shot.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby james1v » Sep 23, 2011 6:53 pm

The amber specimens are brilliant. The capitalist in me has to ask...How much are they worth? A few bob i bet. :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby lobawad » Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm

ughaibu wrote:
quisquose wrote:Then I felt an enormous sadness at the thought that, whilst I was thrilled at the news, a significant percentage of the population was likely to be shaking their heads and muttering "it's all lies".
I dont think I've ever met an evolution denier in the UK. Is there a documented significant percentage?

I suspect, judging from experience, that there might be quite a few in the former socialist countries.

Oh, thanks for posting this! My son (7) has been a big dinosaur fan for a couple of years, and we've been discussing feathers on dinosaurs all along. He is upset by the idea that big bad dinosaurs might have had feathers, though. What does current evidence suggest about that?

Edit:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... _dino.html

Hm. My son says they should be small feathers, "for keeping warm".
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#36  Postby hackenslash » Sep 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:

There's also "How to Build a Dinosaur" presented by Dr Alice Roberts - which featured a small segment with Darren "Tet Zoo" Naish.

The problem with anything presented by ALice Roberts is that it's difficult to focus on the material, IYKWIMAITYD. :naughty:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Horwood Beer-Master wrote:

The problem with anything presented by ALice Roberts is that it's difficult to focus on the material, IYKWIMAITYD. :naughty:

You'll just have to watch it several times on iPlayer - to make sure you didn't miss anything...
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Earth Sciences