Do we really need a leap second?

Britain, China and Canada Vs USA, Germany and France.

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Do we really need a leap second?

#1  Postby trubble76 » Jan 19, 2012 9:22 am

Everyone knows what a leap year is, but did you know there are also leap seconds? At least for now, because the leap second’s very existence is being debated in Geneva today: with Britain, China and Canada fighting to keep it against the USA, Germany and France.

Introduced globally 40 years ago, the leap second was designed to keep atomic time (used by computer systems) and astronomical or solar time (the Earth’s rotation) in sync with each other.

Continues here.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Do we really need a leap second?

#2  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 19, 2012 9:28 am

If we don't need a leap second then do we need a leap year?

We can measure seconds/days/years by any standard we wish. But it's an almost universal acceptance that we should measure them by celestial movements and rotations. This made sense to our distant ancestors and will make even more sense to our descendants as they go out amongst the planets.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby trubble76 » Jan 19, 2012 9:37 am

I think the idea is that we ignore the seconds until we need to do a leap-(something bigger), otherwise if left too long we would start to see drift. In other words, save up all the leap-seconds for 360 years (or whatever) and do a leap hour.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jan 19, 2012 9:37 am

...the leap second’s very existence is being debated in Geneva today: with Britain, China and Canada fighting to keep it against the USA, Germany and France...

We own time - We win! Image

Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

trubble76 wrote:I think the idea is that we ignore the seconds until we need to do a leap-(something bigger), otherwise if left too long we would start to see drift. In other words, save up all the leap-seconds for 360 years (or whatever) and do a leap hour.

Ah. I see. I should of read the article. :oops:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Return to Earth Sciences