Land navigation the old fashioned way

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 23, 2016 3:49 am

My boys and I are starting to learn geology. But first, they need to know how to read topographic maps, and locate themselves on the map.

Now, any fool can switch on a GPS receiver and find their location within about 10 meters in a few seconds. That's just fine, until your batteries are dead, etc, etc. My GPS receiver is an older Garmin GPS 12XL, which still works just fine. It's Mr. Backup.

I have an old Brunton pocket transit I picked up when I was in a tactical comms unit in Korea in the 1980s. I replaced the glass on it, and used a piece of toothpick as the needle locking pin actuator. I have a plastic Brunton Classic orienteering compass for each of the boys.

The US Geological Survey has 7.5 minute, 1:24000 topographic maps for free download. With some careful printing, trimming, aligning, and pasting, you can put together one of these maps. I have a plastic map cover I also got in Korea to protect the paper map. If anyone knows where, I'd like to get a couple more of those map covers.

That's the bearings we shot from features we could see. They don't converge very well:

I suspect we misidentified the two landmarks I marked on that image with pink arrows on the map. By using other sources of information available to us, namely, relative positions to known features (roads, trail intersection), we were able to eliminate the two erroneous sightings.

That positioned us within a 100 meter square at UTM coordinates DF 13T 72305730. Mr. Backup confirmed our triangulated location within 50 meters. Not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 23, 2016 4:02 am

Here we are, working the map and compasses in the field:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Land navigation the old fashioned way

#3  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 23, 2016 7:33 am

Nice choice in hats! But seriously, this is a great thing to do with kids - getting your bearings and reading a map are two essential lifeskills.
Last edited by Made of Stars on Oct 23, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Oct 23, 2016 8:04 am

like long division ? :)
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 23, 2016 8:18 am

More important. Not knowing long division won't get you killed. Unless you've got helicopter parents.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 23, 2016 8:48 am

Very cool. That's a nice bit of rock, too, if you don't mind me saying. I'm going to guess... sedimentary, with clear iron deposits, possibly part of a river bed during the late Devonian-Mississippian— aaaaand I have no idea what I'm talking about. I would like to know more about geology so that I could describe such a rock. Alas, I cannot.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Margaery Tyrell
Female

Print view this post

#7  Postby Macdoc » Oct 23, 2016 8:55 am

Just teasing but it reminded me of the "I dont need no stinkin' GPS " motorcycle crowd.

We keep having to remind them that a map is useless unless you actually know where you are.

That said - doing map and compass races through the muskeg to check points at summer camp was fun.

These days its a decent backup ....sometimes wish mcycles had compasses.

BTW a facinating read is The Map That Changed the World. The first geological map of Great Britain ...cracking good tale.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 23, 2016 10:05 am

Great idea. Brings back memories from learning to navigate with the Scouts.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 23, 2016 10:53 am

I did orienteering as a sport for year but charging around dark dingy forests does get boring.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Oct 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Add sun and star shots to the mix and you're good to go on land and sea. And an ephemeris, sextant, and chronometer, of course. A calculator is also good, but not necessary. I've got two sextants, but they're both on the boat. I'll post pics at some point if I remember to remember.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Nice choice in hats! But seriously, this is a great thing to do with kids - getting your bearings and reading a map are two essential lifeskills.

Big brimmed hats, to keep some of the sun off of us. There's less air up in the mountains between us and the sun. Too easy to get a nasty burn.

Tertius really likes his new cowboy hat. Primus needs a new one, his fedora is getting small.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 24, 2016 6:15 pm

laklak wrote:Add sun and star shots to the mix and you're good to go on land and sea. And an ephemeris, sextant, and chronometer, of course. A calculator is also good, but not necessary. I've got two sextants, but they're both on the boat. I'll post pics at some point if I remember to remember.

I thought about that, too. I'd have to get a sextant with a good artificial horizon, though.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby lofuji » Nov 25, 2016 2:42 am

The_Metatron wrote:My boys and I are starting to learn geology. But first, they need to know how to read topographic maps, and locate themselves on the map.

...and then you will have to learn how to interpret geological maps. Like topographic maps, which contain a lot of information that is not required for navigation, geological maps don't just show what rock types are under your feet. They also reveal a lot about the underlying structure. I last worked as a geologist in 1970, but I still see structures that the untrained eye would miss when I'm out and about in the mountains.
Blog: The View from Fanling (mostly bollocks, but some posts may be of interest).
...the emperor's cavalry on parade
lofuji

Name: Dennis Hodgson

Print view this post

#14  Postby ElDiablo » Nov 25, 2016 2:54 am

Very cool!
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Earth Sciences