Miami is f**ked

says the OECD

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Miami is f**ked

#21  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Wh...what? You mean...something Scot said is bullshit? I just can't believe it...what a shocker! :shock:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 06, 2013 6:39 pm

mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
HughMcB wrote:Good luck Netherlands! :thumbup:

We will be safe Hugh. We are prepared and continue to maintain all our systems.

I think large parts of Britain will be at greater risk. Just this last period as proven that. We had no flooding.

No we're not safe. What a ridiculous thing to say.

There's a very expensive system of dams and dikes in place and it needs regular maintaining. It costs billions a year. I alone pay nearly 300 euro for it every year.

Then there's climate change, more heavy rain and periods of droughts. Both are equally hazardous and costly. Heavy rain will cause rivers to flood while drought does serious damage to dikes.

Then there's rising sea levels. It will not eat our coast line away as long as enormous amounts of sand are drops each year to prevent this. This is, again, expensive.

Then there's the inherent salinification of soil because of rising sea levels and sinking land (yes, a good chunk of land is actually sinking). The sea is poring in from below, spoiling the ground water. The Netherlands produces quite a lot of food, transforming water surpluses and fertile soil into export goods. The damage is quite costly and undermines a healthy economy.

Add to the above that our economy is sick as fuck as it stands, and will soon become much worse still, I would say we're on very thin ice.

We're far from safe.

Can I see some data on that? Your post sound like that written by a very disgruntled voter of a small minority party.

I was twenty years in engineering consultancy where you pulled this out I dont know. Of course there are always terror stories around but basically things are quite under control. Reading too much from De Telegraf. It sees danger everywhere.

If our economy is sick god help the rest of the world.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jan 06, 2013 7:39 pm

mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I think large parts of Britain will be at greater risk. Just this last period as proven that. We had no flooding.

There's a very expensive system of dams and dikes in place and it needs regular maintaining. It costs billions a year. I alone pay nearly 300 euro for it every year.

Then there's climate change, more heavy rain and periods of droughts. Both are equally hazardous and costly. Heavy rain will cause rivers to flood while drought does serious damage to dikes.

Then there's rising sea levels. It will not eat our coast line away as long as enormous amounts of sand are drops each year to prevent this. This is, again, expensive.

Then there's the inherent salinification of soil because of rising sea levels and sinking land (yes, a good chunk of land is actually sinking). The sea is poring in from below, spoiling the ground water. The Netherlands produces quite a lot of food, transforming water surpluses and fertile soil into export goods. The damage is quite costly and undermines a healthy economy.

Add to the above that our economy is sick as fuck as it stands, and will soon become much worse still, I would say we're on very thin ice.

We're far from safe.

Truth is the entire world is "far from safe," because climate change is real and it's a global deal and next to nothing is being done about it. The danger vectors are many and they are varied, but they all stem from one thing: an ever rising mean annual temperature of the earth's climate, which is driven by ongoing C02 pollution in our atmosphere.

The bad shit is just beginning to happen and it'll only become worse and more widespread as time moves on. We're in for a really bad ride over the coming few decades and if the world persists in doing nothing we'll soon reach a point where nothing can be done to prevent some rather dreadful consequences. We've nearly reached the point of no return as it is.

Hang onto your hat!
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm

mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

We're far from safe.

In fact didn't they have to evacuate people from their homes last year because one of the dams was leaking and in danger of collapsing?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

We're far from safe.

Can I see some data on that? Your post sound like that written by a very disgruntled voter of a small minority party.

I was twenty years in engineering consultancy where you pulled this out I dont know. Of course there are always terror stories around but basically things are quite under control. Reading too much from De Telegraf. It sees danger everywhere.

If our economy is sick god help the rest of the world.

In red: I'd appreciate it if you kept your insinuations private. Thanks in advance for the effort.

What data do you need? Be specific or I can't be bothered.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#26  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Fallible wrote:
mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

We're far from safe.

In fact didn't they have to evacuate people from their homes last year because one of the dams was leaking and in danger of collapsing?

Yes, 2012, Wilnis, evacuated before the dike collapsed. Caused by drought. Luckily it was a small river.

It is estimated around 30% of all dikes/dams etc is lacking proper maintenance at the moment. Severe weather can cause destruction any day. The new kabinet is seeking higher efficiency with less money. A troubling sign.
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks, mindhack. It's nice to get a contrasting view.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

:)
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Scarlett » Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

I heard the Dutch seagulls shit real icecream :coffee:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm

The "waterschappen" need to maintain circa 18.000 km of dikes/dams/dunes and more than 200.000 km of water ways, big and small. It's a huge task. It's a rather remarkable feat this living-under-the-sea-business.

I consider it something temporary. We'll lose one day. Feeling safe is silly.
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Paula wrote:I heard the Dutch seagulls shit real icecream :coffee:

That's a necessity when you have so many stoners about.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I heard you're the big bully around here

;)
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Scarlett » Jan 06, 2013 10:43 pm

mindhack wrote:

I heard you're the big bully around here

;)

Who me? :angel:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Fallible » Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm

mindhack wrote:The "waterschappen" need to maintain circa 18.000 km of dikes/dams/dunes and more than 200.000 km of water ways, big and small. It's a huge task. It's a rather remarkable feat this living-under-the-sea-business.

Sounds like the Fens over here. That's all land taken from the sea, and no doubt the sea will get it back one day.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm

MacIver wrote:

A stoner would probably kill a couple of seagulls just to get their hands on the ice cream.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby mindhack » Jan 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Fallible wrote:
mindhack wrote:The "waterschappen" need to maintain circa 18.000 km of dikes/dams/dunes and more than 200.000 km of water ways, big and small. It's a huge task. It's a rather remarkable feat this living-under-the-sea-business.

Sounds like the Fens over here. That's all land taken from the sea, and no doubt the sea will get it back one day.

Yes, the Fens pretty much is exactly the same. Not entirely surprising a Dutchmen designed it 300 years ago. :)
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Fallible » Jan 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Aha!
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby laklak » Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

LucidFlight wrote:
MacIver wrote:

A stoner would probably kill a couple of seagulls just to get their hands on the ice cream.

Dude, like, no way. Seagulls are like, really cool and stuff.

OK, so, ice cream is also like really cool and stuff. But we can, you know, share.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#39  Postby trubble76 » Jan 07, 2013 9:44 am

laklak wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:
MacIver wrote:

Dude, like, no way. Seagulls are like, really cool and stuff.

OK, so, ice cream is also like really cool and stuff. But we can, you know, share.

Get a job, hippy.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

mindhack wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Yes, the Fens pretty much is exactly the same. Not entirely surprising a Dutchmen designed it 300 years ago. :)

It is called "Little Holland".

mindhack wrote:Yes, 2012, Wilnis, evacuated before the dike collapsed. Caused by drought. Luckily it was a small river.

A very small river and town in a very wet area (normally). It is in the gemeente (town council) of the round bogs (Ronde Venen):lol:

Compared to what happened in Britain this year it was a very minor incident. The thing is the Netherlands ia as prepared as it can be. Where else can you say that?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Earth Sciences