Do we live in a de facto post scarcity economy in Europe?

You can probably guess what I think...

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do we live in a de facto post scarcity economy in Europe?

#41  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I guess food banks are a figment of the collective imagination.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Many people spend their money on fags/booze/drugs/takeaways/handbags etc ad infinitum precisely because they can acquire free food from such establishments IMO :dunno:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Crikey I remind myself of the milk thief a little in that post...how unsettling....
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#44  Postby minininja » Feb 17, 2018 8:13 pm

You can't acquire free food from food banks unless you've been referred there by a doctor/social worker etc.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm

I doubt it's difficult to secure such a referral if, indeed, that is true. Also there are many other sources of free food - in our town anyway - on friday I had a free roast (with second helpings) at a local "church" and two days before that I picked up 5 free sandwiches (smoked salmon; crayfish and avocado and chicken salad) and two salads (chicken; tuna) donated by Pret a Manger. Better in me than in the bin right? Might go get a free cooked breakfast tomorrow, and free lunches tue;wed;thu too next week...and the rest.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 9:58 pm

It is true, and actually it can be quite difficult. I'm not sure where you're going with the stuff about being able to get free food elsewhere. Why do you think these places offer it? Fun?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Many people spend their money on fags/booze/drugs/takeaways/handbags etc ad infinitum precisely because they can acquire free food from such establishments IMO :dunno:

Yeah, sure. I'd much rather show my face somewhere that's not my own home and beg for someone's arbitrary choice of what I need to eat because it's free than eat the food I decide I want in the comfort of my own home. Please...
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Fallible wrote:It is true, and actually it can be quite difficult. I'm not sure where you're going with the stuff about being able to get free food elsewhere. Why do you think these places offer it? Fun?

They're trying to be helpful toward the vulnerable. A laudable motivation no doubt. A local I know was in town when I picked up the sandwiches the other day. I'm pretty fucking certain he needed free food because he spent all his money on smack and crack again - as always. I would be being hypocritical if I didn't admit that I needed free food because I am still skint from my/our gigantic booze/fags benders....if I didn't know I could get fed for free I reckon I would have stocked up the cupboards/freezer before initiating said benders. You take my point?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Many people spend their money on fags/booze/drugs/takeaways/handbags etc ad infinitum precisely because they can acquire free food from such establishments IMO :dunno:

Yeah, sure. I'd much rather show my face somewhere that's not my own home and beg for someone's arbitrary choice of what I need to eat because it's free than eat the food I decide I want in the comfort of my own home. Please...

Well; if you don't like going out much and are a fussy eater then I see your point - I'd personally turn it on it's head however and say it's boring staying in all the time and it's fun and avoids option anxiety to be surprised/have no choice over what's put on your plate. I haven't had to "beg" yet to get free food.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:It is true, and actually it can be quite difficult. I'm not sure where you're going with the stuff about being able to get free food elsewhere. Why do you think these places offer it? Fun?

They're trying to be helpful toward the vulnerable. A laudable motivation no doubt. A local I know was in town when I picked up the sandwiches the other day. I'm pretty fucking certain he needed free food because he spent all his money on smack and crack again - as always. I would be being hypocritical if I didn't admit that I needed free food because I am still skint from my/our gigantic booze/fags benders....if I didn't know I could get fed for free I reckon I would have stocked up the cupboards/freezer before initiating said benders. You take my point?

I know what you're saying, but I disagree.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Well; if you don't like going out much and are a fussy eater then I see your point - I'd personally turn it on it's head however and say it's boring staying in all the time and it's fun and avoids option anxiety to be surprised/have no choice over what's put on your plate. I haven't had to "beg" yet to get free food.

No, you don't see my point. I live in one of the most deprived areas of the country. Food banks are a necessity. The indignity and shame people feel when having to ask for free food are not 'fun'. I'm glad you haven't had to experience this.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby laklak » Feb 18, 2018 7:47 pm

I get lots of free food. Our neighbors volunteer at a local food bank, and when the food passes it's sell by date they have to throw it out. Instead of pitching it they bring it home and pass it out to the neighbors. It's stupid - most stuff is good far past the posted date, and most of what we get is things like dried beans, rice, peanut butter, and cheese, but also perfectly good fresh veggies. Nothing wrong with it. I've no problem taking it, better it ends up in my pot than in the trash. Got some red beans and rice in the cooker as we speak, I bought some smoked sausage to go in it so the whole big pot cost me about $4. There's at least 3 full meals for the two of us.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Macdoc » Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Yep.. :thumbup:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 19, 2018 12:22 am

BACKUP!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#55  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 19, 2018 7:27 am

laklak wrote:I get lots of free food. Our neighbors volunteer at a local food bank, and when the food passes it's sell by date they have to throw it out. Instead of pitching it they bring it home and pass it out to the neighbors. It's stupid - most stuff is good far past the posted date, and most of what we get is things like dried beans, rice, peanut butter, and cheese, but also perfectly good fresh veggies. Nothing wrong with it. I've no problem taking it, better it ends up in my pot than in the trash. Got some red beans and rice in the cooker as we speak, I bought some smoked sausage to go in it so the whole big pot cost me about $4. There's at least 3 full meals for the two of us.

How do you do your red beans and rice?
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

Please don't dilute the thread SAM m8
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#57  Postby laklak » Feb 19, 2018 4:09 pm

SAM - this is my starting point, but I use a pound of Andouille sausage instead of the ham hocks. I add one or two minced fresh red chilies. When it's just about done add a good handful of finely chopped cilantro, cook for another 15 minutes and serve over hot rice.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chef-pauls-red-bean-s-and-rice-with-ham-hocks-310891

Nobody does Cajun like Fat Paul.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Sciteks wrote:What about now?....if not now then when? Should we allow free market capitalism to continue running rampant with all the dreadful consequent externalities inherent in such a system in the name of "increasing living standards" still further?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#60  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Please don't dilute the thread SAM m8

I'm not even convinced the thread is about anything.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Economics