Four-day week trial

study finds lower stress but no cut in output

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Four-day week trial

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Four-day week trial: study finds lower stress but no cut in output

Study of trial at New Zealand firm finds staff were both happier and more productive

What amazes me they went to New Zealand to find out. If you just look at any of the top ten first world countries in the happiest league that answer would have obvious. Which is why the UK is not there. It would take a 180 degree turn in UK work place ethics to achieve this.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Four-day week trial

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 19, 2019 2:50 pm

There are companies here that do four twelve hour days with three days off for the weekend
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:What amazes me they went to New Zealand to find out.

Not sure what there is that is amazing about a New Zealand based company having research done by New Zealand universities on its working practices. I

Scot Dutchy wrote: If you just look at any of the top ten first world countries in the happiest league that answer would have obvious. Which is why the UK is not there. It would take a 180 degree turn in UK work place ethics to achieve this.

I presently do a four day week but, with no cut to my working hours. However, given that just two days down in London can accrue me 30hours, this isn't exactly a huge leap. The additional day off a week helps, as I actually get to see my wife, whose non-working days are Sun and Monday.

Still, I do agree with you that the cultural change necessary for the UK to accept that you can give your workforce a better quality of life without harming your productivity is a massive one and presently, nowhere on the horizon. Probably further away after Brexit.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Feb 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Ah, yes. Getting ready for when the robots take over.

You just wait. It will be a three-day week next and then they will say "We have two days spare and we will use one of those days for robots - experimental, of course..."
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Feb 19, 2019 3:09 pm

On your additional day off you will be hunted by robots.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Alan B wrote:Ah, yes. Getting ready for when the robots take over.

You just wait. It will be a three-day week next and then they will say "We have two days spare and we will use one of those days for robots - experimental, of course..."

Well plenty are on part-time these days. A 30 hour week is common. Few do that in three days (madness) but 4 and 3 is fairly common or just spread it at 6 hours a day and travel off-peak. People do you actually smile when they come in (well they did in my day).
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Economics