If we are to survive Teachers must be paid a living wage!

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

If we are to survive Teachers must be paid a living wage!

#1  Postby kennyc » Dec 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Your Waitress, Your Professor
By BRITTANY BRONSONDEC. 18, 2014

LAS VEGAS — ON the first day of the fall semester, I left campus from an afternoon of teaching anxious college freshmen and headed to my second job, serving at a chain restaurant off Las Vegas Boulevard. The switch from my professional attire to a white dress shirt, black apron and tie reflected the separation I attempt to maintain between my two jobs. Naturally, sitting at the first table in my section was one of my new students, dining with her parents.

This scene is a cliché of the struggling teacher, and it surfaces repeatedly in pop culture — think of Walter White in “Breaking Bad,” washing the wheels of a student’s sports car after a full day teaching high school chemistry. Bumping into a student at the gym can be awkward, but exposing the reality that I, with my master’s degree, not only have another job, but must have one, risks destroying the facade of success I present to my students as one of their university mentors.

In class I emphasize the value of a degree as a means to avoid the sort of jobs that I myself go to when those hours in the classroom are over. A colleague in my department labeled these jobs (food and beverage, retail and customer service — the only legal work in abundance in Las Vegas) as “survival jobs.” He tells our students they need to learn that survival work will not grant them the economic security of white-collar careers. I never told him that I myself had such a job, that I needed our meeting to end within the next 10 minutes or I’d be late to a seven-hour shift serving drunk, needy tourists, worsening my premature back problem while getting hit on repeatedly.

The line between these two worlds is thinner here in Las Vegas than it might be elsewhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/opini ... d=go-share
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: If we are to survive Teachers must be paid a living wage!

#2  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 20, 2014 2:12 pm

I would think starting at $47,000 up to $105,000 plus benefits would be plenty.

Where do you think the problem is?

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/uplo ... fy2015.pdf
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Dec 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Mostly those like you. <shrug>
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Dec 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Bit disingenuous. She's a student who also teaches, aka "grad assistant", which is a greasy grind of monumental proportions. Plus she's in Las Vegas, which which has about as much in common with actual reality as Hobbitton. She's after the brass ring, tenured full professorship, which is a tidy little position if you can get it. Friend of mine is Chair of the Psychology department at New Collage here in Sarasota. He's got life by the balls. He's a marine psychologist, spends the majority of his time at Mote Marine, playing with manatees and dolphins, or flying off to places like Hawaii or Samoa or Cape Town for conferences. I have no idea how much he makes, but his house makes my abode look like a garden shed. Guy down the street is an adjunct professor of classical Greek at the same school, he lives at about he same level we do. There are only a few positions in the rarefied atmosphere at the top. Several of my close family are or were high school teachers. All of them lived a nice, comfortable life with a decent salary, good benefits and a pension. In Florida the average starting salary is over 35K, which isn't as good as most STEM fields but is better than many others. Could certainly use some improvement, but I think the poor, food stamp dependent teacher myth is overblown.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby kennyc » Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Well yes admittedly some truth in that lak but I do wish our educators and teachers were held in more esteem and paid more like sports stars or celebrities. .... of course if they were then the ego problems would follow....there's no ego problems in universities today is there? :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » Dec 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Our Teachers Pension fund is the largest of it's kind in the world and own EVERYTHING....the opposite is the problem here tho we do have good outcomes....it's very expensive and too many BA grads for the job market....not enought machinests or nurses.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Dec 20, 2014 7:44 pm

That's a good point, macdoc. Most parents these days seem to steer their kids to university, and trades are ignored. If it's just money you're after you're better off as a plumber than in any number of uni courses. A good machinist or tool and die maker is worth a LOT of money.

Mrs. Lak started out as a hairdresser before going to uni to be an occupational therapist. She's not practicing O.T. any longer, but she's still cutting hair.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby kennyc » Dec 20, 2014 8:58 pm

laklak wrote:That's a good point, macdoc. Most parents these days seem to steer their kids to university, and trades are ignored. If it's just money you're after you're better off as a plumber than in any number of uni courses. A good machinist or tool and die maker is worth a LOT of money.

Mrs. Lak started out as a hairdresser before going to uni to be an occupational therapist. She's not practicing O.T. any longer, but she's still cutting hair.

Isn't that two for the price of one for the customers?
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Stumped » Dec 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Teachers get paid more than me and I'm fine. I don't see what the issue us.
Stumped

Print view this post

#10  Postby kennyc » Dec 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Stumped wrote:Teachers get paid more than me and I'm fine. I don't see what the issue us.

Live with your parents?
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Stumped » Dec 20, 2014 9:58 pm

My wife.

At least in the UK teachers are reasonably well renumerated. Certainly the teachers I know don't struggle including those who teach 'humanities' subjects.

Plenty of people manage on less.
Stumped

Print view this post

#12  Postby epepke » Dec 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Teachers should be paid more. My girlfriend has been called a seven star preschool teacher (on some sort of weird scale that goes to six stars), and she makes $10.50 an hour with no holiday pay.

Graduate students, though, are slaves, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Teaching and research assistantships only pay a pittance. It's kind of OK in a University environment, because it's possible to live very cheaply.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Economics