Let’s Use Facebook Groups To Test Steering Mechanisms

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Let’s Use Facebook Groups To Test Steering Mechanisms

#21  Postby Hermit » Mar 28, 2020 4:22 am

tuco wrote:Yes, that could, in principle, produce data with some interest to interpret them.

Not really. In a group steered by a market, the decision to ban somebody would be made by whoever has the most money. And that is how things will pan out in real world scenarios where decisions are made using money contributions.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby jamest » Mar 28, 2020 4:28 am

The problem with your theory is that you have to be a bit of a wanker to be a regular user of facebook, and I don't know about you but I myself do not want to confine my analysis of important themes to be based entirely upon a study of wankers.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Xerographica » Mar 28, 2020 4:40 am

Hermit wrote:
tuco wrote:Yes, that could, in principle, produce data with some interest to interpret them.

Not really. In a group steered by a market, the decision to ban somebody would be made by whoever has the most money. And that is how things will pan out in real world scenarios where decisions are made using money contributions.

If democracies and dictatorships are better than donations at deciding whether to ban someone, then they are better at steering groups. It would behoove us to demonstrate this sooner rather than later.
Xerographica

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Xerographica » Mar 28, 2020 4:44 am

jamest wrote:The problem with your theory is that you have to be a bit of a wanker to be a regular user of facebook, and I don't know about you but I myself do not want to confine my analysis of important themes to be based entirely upon a study of wankers.

First you conduct the study with the wankers. And then you try and replicate the results with the non-wankers.

Is it possible that the best system for the wankers wouldn't be the best system for the non-wankers?
Xerographica

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby jamest » Mar 28, 2020 6:11 am

Xerographica wrote:
jamest wrote:The problem with your theory is that you have to be a bit of a wanker to be a regular user of facebook, and I don't know about you but I myself do not want to confine my analysis of important themes to be based entirely upon a study of wankers.

First you conduct the study with the wankers. And then you try and replicate the results with the non-wankers.

Is it possible that the best system for the wankers wouldn't be the best system for the non-wankers?

I'm wondering what kind of wanker it would take to ask such a question, to be honest.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Xerographica » Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am

jamest wrote:
Xerographica wrote:

I'm wondering what kind of wanker it would take to ask such a question, to be honest.

Hmmmm... how many different kinds of wankers are there anyways?
Xerographica

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Hermit » Mar 28, 2020 6:58 am

Xerographica wrote:
Hermit wrote:

If democracies and dictatorships are better than donations at deciding whether to ban someone, then they are better at steering groups. It would behoove us to demonstrate this sooner rather than later.

Your previous two threads on the topic went nowhere. Nothing in this one suggests that it will fare differently. Think of me as a faintly amused onlooker who chips in with an occasional comment.

ib.png
ib.png (82.39 KiB) Viewed 518 times
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am

Xerographica wrote:It would behoove us to demonstrate this sooner rather than later.

Concern trolling.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Thommo » Mar 28, 2020 7:35 am

Oh, this rubbish again.
Thommo

Print view this post

#30  Postby tuco » Mar 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Hermit wrote:

Not really.

And in a market the group's direction is determined by spenders.

Spenders directly imply more than one. Then it's reasonable to assume that "determined by spenders share" applies. Even if that was not true. It still would be interesting to see how various groups perform and if it's not interesting to you, you can kindly fuck off. Go bother someone else.

---
edit: sry Hermit I was upset but still, lets try not to be annal and be cooperative? You can spot it yourself, I've noticed so wtf. Lets focus on the essence. Not every single sentence on the internet has to pass a bulletproof test. When I say "in principle" then its an attempt to be bulletproof - as groups can vary, goals can vary, environment can vary, decision-making process can vay - but not really. Cmon you know better.
tuco

Print view this post

#31  Postby Hermit » Mar 29, 2020 3:29 am

tuco wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Not really.

Spenders directly imply more than one. Then it's reasonable to assume that "determined by spenders share" applies.

So far, so good. Now look up 'oligarchy'. No, wait. I'll save you the effort: "a small group of people having control of a country or organization."

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 29, 2020 5:46 am

Hermit wrote:
tuco wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Not really.

Spenders directly imply more than one. Then it's reasonable to assume that "determined by spenders share" applies.

So far, so good. Now look up 'oligarchy'. No, wait. I'll save you the effort: "a small group of people having control of a country or organization."

:evilgrin:

:thumbup:

:cheers:

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#33  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2020 6:43 am

Hermit wrote:
tuco wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Not really.

And? I know what oligarchy is and nowhere I indicated I don't. It was you who quoted me in disagreement while there was nothing to disagree with in my statement.
tuco

Print view this post

#34  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am

tuco wrote:
Hermit wrote:
tuco wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Not really.

And? I know what oligarchy is and nowhere I indicated I don't. It was you who quoted me in disagreement while there was nothing to disagree with in my statement.

Hermit wrote:Thanks for biting.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#35  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2020 7:15 am

If I wanted to be annal, I would simply say that a group of 100 people, each with a certain market share, steering such group according to their market shares, is not an oligarchy. It's more like a system of political parties. But what is the point? To kill time? I dont get it.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Hermit » Mar 29, 2020 8:53 am

tuco wrote:If I wanted to be annal, I would simply say that a group of 100 people, each with a certain market share, steering such group according to their market shares, is not an oligarchy. It's more like a system of political parties. But what is the point? To kill time? I dont get it.

If, as Xerographica advocates, matters are decided by which option finishes up with the highest amount of money donated, an oligarchy consisting of the richest people will control the outcome. Determining decisions by donations destroys democracy. It's that simple.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 29, 2020 9:19 am

Hermit wrote:
tuco wrote:If I wanted to be annal, I would simply say that a group of 100 people, each with a certain market share, steering such group according to their market shares, is not an oligarchy. It's more like a system of political parties. But what is the point? To kill time? I dont get it.

If, as Xerographica advocates, matters are decided by which option finishes up with the highest amount of money donated, an oligarchy consisting of the richest people will control the outcome. Determining decisions by donations destroys democracy. It's that simple.

Thanks for biting, Hermit, even though it confirms that you bite.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Hermit » Mar 29, 2020 10:07 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Many damn! :facepalm: And tuco wasn't even fishing. So embarrassment. Image

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 29, 2020 10:20 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Many damn! :facepalm: And tuco wasn't even fishing. So embarrassment. Image

Did anyone suggest tuco was fishing? If you bite, you bite, just like everybody else.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#40  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2020 10:41 am

You know, I hope because I mentioned it in convo with you at least two times, that let's say folk sociology and simulations interest me. Fishing .. I have not seen the other posts you guys talk about so I give the benefit of doubt to the OP spending time and energy on something that interests me. Besides, idiots are people too. But not really, tuco, we want to have some fun too. OK as I said.
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Economics