The merits of buying people carbon credits as an xmas prezi

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The merits of buying people carbon credits as an xmas prezi

#41  Postby newolder » Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Ooh, I can get mine down to 96% if I say that the flights are for business. Cool!

What would that percentage be if you say the flights are for pleasure? What is the percentage figure a percentage of? :???:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 27, 2018 5:23 pm

newolder wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Ooh, I can get mine down to 96% if I say that the flights are for business. Cool!

What would that percentage be if you say the flights are for pleasure? What is the percentage figure a percentage of? :???:

My share would be 260% if my flights were for pleasure. It's a percentage of my share. I guess if I use more than 100%, I'm using more than my fair resources that impact my carbon footprint. My footprint would exceed a sustainable level.

:ask:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby newolder » Nov 27, 2018 5:37 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
newolder wrote:

My share would be 260% if my flights were for pleasure. It's a percentage of my share. I guess if I use more than 100%, I'm using more than my fair resources that impact my carbon footprint. My footprint would exceed a sustainable level.

So one can change their amount of emissions (measured in kilograms) by a significant amount by giving them a different name? Sounds absurd, does it not?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, but if they’re business flights, they’re less harmful, due to the net effect of the positive business and economic activity I’m generating.

LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Macdoc » Nov 27, 2018 6:07 pm

the earth's carbon budget doesn't give a fuck for your purpose....just offset what you produce use.....and even better ,....offset one year back ...not a big ask .... :roll:

Flights are a very low priority issue as

a) they are moving to bio-fuels
b) hybrids
c) full EV for short hops
d) higher efficiency.

Commuter traffic is a major issue ...one reason China is shifting so fast ....and it's the major challenge for Ontario and a few other nations that have moved forward to carbon neutral.

If you are going to spend money for gifts ...nothing wrong with carbon credits or planting a tree or 6 :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 27, 2018 6:09 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Yeah, but if they’re business flights, they’re less harmful, due to the net effect of the positive business and economic activity I’m generating.

This should not include business trips (they’re part of your employer's footprint, not yours).
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#47  Postby Macdoc » Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Point.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby newolder » Nov 27, 2018 6:42 pm

So when "I" make a business trip and make a positive contribution to the human emissions total, it gets passed to my employer and leaves me with a net contribution of 0 (even though I'm self employed). Yeah, riiiight. What do these guys smoke? :rofl:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Perhaps they felt guilty about giving air hostesses carbon footprints of 100,000 metric tons each...
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#50  Postby felltoearth » Nov 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
james wrote:
NOTHING is going to change on this planet until selfishness is defeated

You finally manage to say something that everyone here can agree with

The irony here is that carbon offsets uses self-interst as a tool for it to be effective. IOW jamest has once again defeated his own argument.

And you believe that. Let me introduce you to the guy who thinks a medium is in communication with the guy's dead cat.

It's not self-interest at all. None of us will live long enough to reap the rewards. It's anxiety and fear of disaster. You know where that word comes from: "Bad star". Offsets are bought in the interest of posterity or some other airy-fairy notion. I don't have any posterity, didn't want any, and so my posterity is not leaving a carbon footprint.

Are you cluing in to the carbon footprint of raising some git to adulthood? Offset that, my friends.

Tell me about irony, again.

Wrong end of the telescope. If you charge for carbon, businesses will look to methods to reduce costs, ideally associated with producing carbon. Do enough of a reduction and it becomes a net benefit. That’s the self-interest aspect. The alternative is to shrug and say “meh.”
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby scott1328 » Nov 28, 2018 1:14 am

Really? It’s carbon credits or nothing?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 28, 2018 1:39 am

newolder wrote:So when "I" make a business trip and make a positive contribution to the human emissions total, it gets passed to my employer and leaves me with a net contribution of 0 (even though I'm self employed). Yeah, riiiight. What do these guys smoke? :rofl:

I guess if you're self-employed, then the emissions come back on you. Hah! Too bad, too sad.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby laklak » Nov 28, 2018 1:44 am

Yeah, who do you think you are, anyway, Steve Jobs? Be a faceless wage slave cog in the giant industrial machine like ordinary people.
Last edited by laklak on Nov 28, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#54  Postby jamest » Nov 28, 2018 1:44 am

Macdoc wrote:the earth's carbon budget doesn't give a fuck for your purpose....just offset what you produce use.....and even better ,....offset one year back ...not a big ask .... :roll:

Flights are a very low priority issue as

a) they are moving to bio-fuels
b) hybrids
c) full EV for short hops
d) higher efficiency.

Commuter traffic is a major issue ...one reason China is shifting so fast ....and it's the major challenge for Ontario and a few other nations that have moved forward to carbon neutral.

If you are going to spend money for gifts ...nothing wrong with carbon credits or planting a tree or 6 :coffee:

Your strings are portraying you as a fool, for as good as your intentions are global warming is already a fact and the passionate thoughts and actions of [say] about 0.5% of the Earth's population is going to amount to fuck all come doomsday, which is around the next corner. People such as you still have presidents etc. in power throughout the world advocating that their industries continue to burn fossil fuels for fun. Donald Trump even pretends that's it's not an issue and the Chinese don't seem to give a fuck either way. Yet, like the good citizen that you are you watch your own carbon imprint yet do nothing at all to change the real issue here - which is us having WANKERS in power, across the globe.

Come doomsday, nobody can blame you because you did your recycling and used the most efficient bulbs, etc., but fuck me you shall be shafted up the arse in the afterlife for doing NOTHING to get rid of the CUNTS who led us down this path.

I repeat, the issue here is not global warming, but a general short-sighted human coldness indifferent to what happens beyond their own selfish desires. It's an epidemic which will destroy us all, which no small minority of caring people will belay by turning off their lights.

If it were not made explicit in my previous post, let me inform you all now that only selflessness will save 'us'. And that won't be coming to us all as a consequence of global warming. Even the survivors will be looking out for themselves and their kin, thereafter. It's back to square one, a different scenario.

If you want everything resolved, then aim your swords at selfishness. It's the only way our history can ever walk upon a NEW path.

These things have to be said, by someone. I acknowledge that they're going to be treated here like farts in a lift, but now you have no more excuses for anything that you do, since I have explained these things to you. That is, this end game is a battle between selfishnish & selflessness and unless selflessness wins then we're going to be shafting each other up the arses until time ceases to exist for us all. As it will.

To hope that one day a Saint - who will do their utmost for the people of this planet as a whole - will be president of the USA and/or China etc., is delusional.

Time is almost up. Not just for your own lives, but for humanity. As long as selfishness rules over us, we're all fucked. If I were to have knowledge of the future in [say] 500 years and knew that cunts like Trump and Putin were still our rulers, I'd be pressing the red button myself here and now to end the fucking bullshit and the suffering.

The only reason I'm saying these things is because we have it within ourselves to end this bullshit, right now. Not by turning off our lights and putting the garbage in the correctly-coloured bins, but by ridding ourselves of the fucking selfish idiots who are still directing us, even now in the 21st century.

We, as ordinary people, can actually do this. Read your social history. All it takes is a wave of conviction. I'm not asking you to believe in God or idealism here, just the notion that selflessness is required to save 'us' a whole. And I'm not specifically saying this to the people here in ratskep. My hope is that somehow this post flowers beyond this useful downstairs toilet.

I've said what I needed to say, so goodnight.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2018 2:20 am

blah blah blah .....What's your carbon footprint James??? How is your tree planting coming ? :roll:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby jamest » Nov 28, 2018 2:33 am

Macdoc wrote:blah blah blah .....What's your carbon footprint James??? How is your tree planting coming ? :roll:

My tree will fit nicely up your arsehole, squire.

What I've said is worthy of serious consideration by the populace. If not, then we're left with MOST of us looking out for themselves and a FEW souls such as yourself looking to erase themselves of their guilt by turning off the lights when they're not needed.

I like you, Sir, but when it comes to the serious stuff I don't need your advice.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Hermit » Nov 28, 2018 2:34 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
james wrote:

You are not speaking for everyone. Most certainly not for me anyway.

I disagree with JamesT's crappy assertion for two reasons.

1. Almost all change on this planet, for worse as well as for better, happens because of selfishness.

2. Individually and collectively, we don't cease being selfish until we cease breathing.

If JamesT were right, there'd be no hope for anyone ever. We'd be fucked. All of us.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby jamest » Nov 28, 2018 3:09 am

Hermit wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
james wrote:

1. Almost all change on this planet, for worse as well as for better, happens because of selfishness.

What a load of bollocks. An ABSOLUTE load of bollocks. You cannot have read any history to assert such a conclusion, since if you had you'd have recognised that throughout history numerous people had sacrificed their own existence for the greater good. Many people have died, squire, for a liberty which transcends both themselves and their family/friends.

2. Individually and collectively, we don't cease being selfish until we cease breathing.

Please desist from asserting that everyone is as selfish as yourself. Indeed, the very notion of political change wouldn't have been possible if everyone had agreed at the onset that the man with the biggest dick should always be king. Indeed, the idealistic political notions of democracy promotes the idea that our rulers are there for 'us' as a whole. But we've seen what a fucking farce that is, since most of the cunts who have been in charge have always promoted themselves foremost above said ideal. As you will witness from reading history, as have I.

If JamesT were right, there'd be no hope for anyone ever. We'd be fucked. All of us.

There is no hope for anyone, ever, especially when your hopes involve palaces and yachts etc. for yourself. Which, let's be honest, is the primary hope for most of us.

I can forgive you for being of low intelligence in the same manner I can forgive someone for being born blind, but when you respond arrogantly to my previous post (as you have) it proves that your arsehole needs lubricating with something hairy and frozen.

My best advice to you, at this moment in time, is to shut the fuck up, or else have some vaseline ready by your side. People like YOU are precisely why humanity has suffered for eons. I'll be back, once I've rummaged through my freezer.
Last edited by jamest on Nov 28, 2018 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#59  Postby felltoearth » Nov 28, 2018 3:11 am

scott1328 wrote:Really? It’s carbon credits or nothing?

Not if you read it with what I was reponding to.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Hermit » Nov 28, 2018 3:19 am

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
james wrote:

What a load of bollocks. An ABSOLUTE load of bollocks. You cannot have read any history to assert such a conclusion, since if you had you'd have recognised that throughout history numerous people had sacrificed their own existence for the greater good. Many people have died, squire, for liberty.

Please desist from asserting that everyone is as selfish as yourself. Indeed, the very notion of political change wouldn't have been possible if everyone had agreed at the onset that the man with the biggest dick should always be king. Indeed, the idealistic political notions of democracy promotes the idea that our rulers are there for 'us' as a whole. But we've seen what a fucking farce that is, since most of the cunts who have been in charge have always promoted themselves foremost above said ideal. As you will witness from reasding history, as have I.

There is no hope for anyone, ever, especially when your hopes involve palaces and yachts etc. for yourself. Which, let's be honest, is the primary hope for most of us.

I can forgive you for being of low intelligence in the same manner I can forgive someone for being born blind, but when you respond arrogantly to my previous post (as you have) it proves that your arsehole needs lubricating with something hairy and frozen.

My best advice to you, at this moment in time, is to shut the fuck up, or else have some vaseline ready by your side. People like YOU are precisely why humanity has suffered for eons. I'll be back, once I've rummaged through my freezer.

Once upon a time I found your little tantrums moderately entertaining. Monotonous repetitions make them tedious to the extent that I'd be lying if I told you that I read the entirety of this one. You have joined the group of forum members whose posts I merely skim through. If you keep it up, you'll be promoted to the group whose posts get the scrollwheel treatment. :mrgreen:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Economics