"There are no unemployed people"

Philip Hammond

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

"There are no unemployed people"

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Speaking to Andrew Marr, the chancellor says "there are no unemployed people", when asked about the threat to jobs posed by new technology.
Asked to clarify, he said the government had not forgotten the 1.4m unemployed in the UK, saying people were finding work "at a remarkable rate".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-42042769/philip-hammond-says-there-are-no-unemployed-people

WTF?! I estimate that 90% of people in my neighbourhood are on ESA - and none of them show up in the unemployment statistics, so it's not even just 1.4 million technically unemployed according to any sensible definition IMO. The gov are pulling the wool over our eyes about this IMO.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: "There are no unemployed people"

#2  Postby Thommo » Nov 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I don't think there's much mileage in pretending he meant something he didn't. His comment was poorly put, but clearly referring to a specific situation (shorthand typists).

Politicians say plenty of reprehensible things that they mean and make plenty of genuine errors, it's better to worry about those instead of manufactured talking points.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby minininja » Nov 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Thommo wrote:I don't think there's much mileage in pretending he meant something he didn't. His comment was poorly put, but clearly referring to a specific situation (shorthand typists).

Politicians say plenty of reprehensible things that they mean and make plenty of genuine errors, it's better to worry about those instead of manufactured talking points.

While I agree with this mostly, I don't think he should be let completely off the hook for his statement. Even in context it's avoiding telling the full story. The percentage of employees that are now in insecure and low paying jobs has definitely increased and the requirements for highly technical retraining in order to get good jobs is leaving many people behind. When compared to the cost of living there has been a stratification in society caused at least in part by the benefits of technological progress not being shared equally throughout society, - and the Tories would rather pretend it's not happening than do anything about it.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 13, 2018 12:04 am

Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to Economics