Tradeable Eco Credits

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Tradeable Eco Credits

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 23, 2020 6:15 am

Inspired by watching this...eye-opening documentary this morning. I found it so shocking (although on further consideration some of its dire claims are of questionable validity if taken as presented) I thought roughly: "rationing! We're at war and it's our only hope to prevent utter ecological apocalypse!" Then I remembered marketable pollution permits from my third year uni environmental economics module and cooked up this petite theory/model.

Tradeable Eco Credits.

A set amount of Credits are allocated for the country by the government for the month – few enough to enable sustainability. Every adult citizen is issued with the same weekly amount/share. Each time a purchase is made in one of the applicable categories, their balance of credits is reduced by an amount befitting the type and magnitude of the purchase (it's Eco footprint). They can sell up to half of their credits each week, along with any credits "carried over" from a previous period – to the "Reservoir" and these can be purchased from the "Reservoir" by those with the cash and inclination, subject to certain restrictions, enabling them to "pollute" above and beyond their initial Citizen's allotment. Therefore some significant degree of consumer liberty is preserved, whilst achieving sustainability and increasing equality as larger "polluters" pay twice – once for the good/service and again for the Eco credit enabling them to purchase it.

The planet is saved and we all live happily ever after : D

Any good?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Tradeable Eco Credits

#2  Postby felltoearth » Apr 23, 2020 11:28 am

I’m pretty sure that’s called Carbon Trading.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Kinda, except carbon trading is not done on the level of individual consumers as this is, and this has scope to incorporate other environmental "bads" than carbon (eg, deforestation, methane etc).
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Apr 23, 2020 2:58 pm

My wife and I would be stinking rich under such a plan. That’s why it will never happen. The powers that be can’t have normal people profiting from not paying taxes on carbon.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 28, 2020 6:13 pm

If your wife and you don't purchase or consume anything which has an ecological footprint then you ain't normal, for America at any rate.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Apr 29, 2020 1:46 am

It’s not that we don’t use any carbon based stuff, but rather we use so much less than average Americans it isn’t funny. If there were profit in it we could cover our 60 acres of southern exposure in solar panels, and have a steady income. With current below-market-value “net metering” in Arkansas amounts to giving away power.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Economics