UK unemployment at lowest since 1975

That's not the whole story though...

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

UK unemployment at lowest since 1975

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm

UK unemployment fell by 65,000 to 1.36 million in three months to June - the lowest for more than 40 years, official figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show......It also said the number of people aged 16 to 64 who were not working, looking for work or available to work - what is known as "economically inactive" - increased by 77,000 from the first quarter of the year.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: UK unemployment at lowest since 1975

#2  Postby Sendraks » Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » Aug 14, 2018 12:54 pm

So if you are looking for work in the U.K. what this means is you are competing against fewer people who are also looking than at any time in 40 years, even though the actual number of unemployed people of working age is increasing?

Increasing because larger and larger numbers of them are not in the market at all?
Is that a good thing (more stay-at-home-by-choice spouses and parents for e.g.)
Or a bad thing (more Roman artists (roaming the roads and drawing the dole))
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 14, 2018 1:08 pm

That must be why wages are so high then.

This is the biggest fudge since Labour put everyone on disability so they weren't technically unemployed.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

If it were true, the proof would be in the average time each work-seeker spends between jobs dropping, and the average age at which a school leaver is first employed also dropping.

Statistics like that would be more believable, and not influenced by those who are not in the market.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm

It's all in the definitions, innit? Don't like your high unemployment figures? Redefine "unemployed".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Economic activity is, as a general rule, bad for the environment, so I guess the less people work the better in that aspect.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

What if you employ more people to look after the environment?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Not much profit in that usually, unfortunately - ill-defined property rights RE public goods, see (especially global public goods (ie. the sea level)).
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Aug 14, 2018 5:20 pm

1929 anyone?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Don't worry, the robots will make our food and clothes, you might have further trouble still selling that delightful boat however.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm

ETA - no, soz, it's Lak with the boat, you might have trouble with some of your airtravel then.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Aug 15, 2018 6:36 am

why ever? :scratch:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Thommo » Aug 15, 2018 12:21 pm

zulumoose wrote:So if you are looking for work in the U.K. what this means is you are competing against fewer people who are also looking than at any time in 40 years, even though the actual number of unemployed people of working age is increasing?

Increasing because larger and larger numbers of them are not in the market at all?
Is that a good thing (more stay-at-home-by-choice spouses and parents for e.g.)
Or a bad thing (more Roman artists (roaming the roads and drawing the dole))

I'm not quite sure what your question is really getting at. No country's unemployment rate is defined to count everyone who is not in work (whether of working age or not), there are a host of reasons for that which are mostly valid (e.g. injured, long term sick, homekeepers and others not looking for work) and some that are not so valid. But nonetheless countries including Britain do keep that information, it's just a different measure.

It's known as the employment rate:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/empl ... ecord-high

To say that the absolute value of the number in or out of work increases or decreases would also, of course, be inherently flawed as a measure, as it does not account for total population, which changes over time, or the proportion of the population that is of working age. Nonetheless, that figure is also recorded and available.

I agree with some of the comments (and indeed the subtitle of this thread that unemployment isn't the whole picture is very apt) that successive governments fiddle the definitions for short term political gain, but there's a pretty robust data set collected by the ONS for those who have the inclination and time to look.
Thommo

Print view this post

#15  Postby zulumoose » Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

I thought my question was quite clear.

The given data indicates that there are fewer unemployed people who are looking for work, yet the number of people of working age who are not employed is increasing.

This can only mean, if true, that a higher percentage are unemployed by choice.
Unless vast numbers have been recently disqualified due to something general like age limit changes which seems unlikely.

So if more are choosing not to work, what does that indicate?
Is it a good thing in that (for eg) more households are able to choose to run on single incomes because they want to?
Is it a bad thing in that too much welfare is encouraging the youth and others who should be productive to leech off the state?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Thommo » Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

zulumoose wrote:The given data indicates that there are fewer unemployed people who are looking for work, yet the number of people of working age who are not employed is increasing.

This can only mean, if true, that a higher percentage are unemployed by choice.

That's not correct because the total population is increasing. Which means strictly you can deduce either:

(a) The same percentage are unemployed by choice; or
(b) A lower percentage are unemployed by choice; or
(c) A higher percentage are unemployed by choice.

Which isn't particularly informative. And I'm not actually sure about whether the antecedent (that the number of people of working age who are not employed is increasing - and I'll note quickly at this point another complication of employment figures that many people of working age are in full time education) is true.

zulumoose wrote:Unless vast numbers have been recently disqualified due to something general like age limit changes which seems unlikely.

So if more are choosing not to work, what does that indicate?

I think this is getting ahead of ourselves. In relative terms this isn't true (the employment rate is at a record high). In absolute terms it's unclear if this is true, but due to population growth our explanation - if one was required - would reside there anyway. If you have 10% more stay at home mums because you have 10% more families, there's not very much in need of analysis.

Edit: Typos.
Last edited by Thommo on Aug 15, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm

There can be any reason for people of working age to not be employed. School for instance.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thommo » Aug 15, 2018 2:04 pm

felltoearth wrote:There can be any reason for people of working age to not be employed. School for instance.

Exactly, this is one of the fundamental problems with using a single measure of unemployment. When society shifts from having 20% of people in education from age 18 to 21 to 55% of people in education from age 18 to 21, this will have a significant effect on unemployment measures, but it is qualitatively very different from people not being able to find work, particularly in that the one is generally seen as very desirable and the sign of a strong economy and the other is generally very undesireable and the sign of a weak economy.
Thommo

Print view this post

#19  Postby Thommo » Aug 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Update to #16:

After a little searching I found this:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... n/july2017

Which shows that the working age (16 to 64) population grew from 39.5 million in 2006 to 41.4 million in 2016 and is forecast to rise to 42.4 million by 2026.

This quantifies the approximate rate in the growth of the working age population, at least.
Thommo

Print view this post

#20  Postby GrahamH » Aug 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Thommo wrote:… 55% of people in education from age 18 to 21 … is generally very undesireable and the sign of a weak economy.

Do I read you right there? An interesting point. What is the basis for it?

Couldn't a high level of education go along with a strong economy?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Next

Return to Economics