Which Famous Economist Are You Most Similar To?

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Which Famous Economist Are You Most Similar To?

#1  Postby GT2211 » Aug 23, 2013 11:23 pm

http://www.whichfamouseconomistareyoumostsimilarto.com/

IGM periodically surveys many of the most of prolific economists on economic topics(gold standard, vouchers, bailouts). The site above has created a list of those questions and uses your answers to highlight which of your responses differ from most economists, which economist you are most similar too, and a diagram on how you stack up.

Anyway I apparently differ on questions 10, 34, 36, 48, 54, 57, 71, 72 and 81.

There are 107 multiple choice questions overall. Though you only have answer 20 and not all 107 to get a result.

Anyway I got
#TeamEmmanuelSaez

I guess that confirms I've joined the liberal master race. :grin:
gt2211: Making Ratskep Great Again!
GT2211

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Which Famous Economist Are You Most Similar To?

#2  Postby Ayn Marx » Sep 22, 2013 3:09 pm

I find many of those questions essentially unanswerable being couched as they are in an language based on economic theory that is in and of itself irrational. So often in these kinds of surveys there's an underlying assumption we make economic decisions based on well informed rationality. This, from my perspective, is the central weekness underlying most of today's limited academic approach to the subject.
Ayn Marx

Name: Dissily Mordentroge

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm

I take it we are talking about snake oil salesmen?

Those ones who live off the rich seam of life?

Economists? No time for them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Ayn Marx wrote:I find many of those questions essentially unanswerable being couched as they are in an language based on economic theory that is in and of itself irrational. So often in these kinds of surveys there's an underlying assumption we make economic decisions based on well informed rationality. This, from my perspective, is the central weekness underlying most of today's limited academic approach to the subject.

Yep mostly the two wet fingers technique. Very scientific.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Ayn Marx wrote:I find many of those questions essentially unanswerable being couched as they are in an language based on economic theory that is in and of itself irrational. So often in these kinds of surveys there's an underlying assumption we make economic decisions based on well informed rationality. This, from my perspective, is the central weekness underlying most of today's limited academic approach to the subject.

Which ones?

I'm like Marianne Bertrand I guess, after answering 30 or so. I kind of skipped around a bit.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby iamthereforeithink » Sep 22, 2013 4:43 pm

OK, so over 45 or so questions, I seemed to oscillate between Eric Maskin and Marianne Bertrand (more often Maskin than Bertrand), but its definitely one of these two.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ayn Marx » Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

Which ones?
All those I've thus far forced myself to read.
Any recommendations for tomes including some analysis of the power human irrationality has in influencing economic outcomes L.M.?
Ayn Marx

Name: Dissily Mordentroge

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am

"All else equal, permanently raising the federal marginal tax rate on ordinary income by one percentage point for those in the top (currently 35%) tax bracket would increase federal tax revenue over the next ten years."

Essentially unanswerable?
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

Return to Economics