Archbishop of Canterbury defends faith schools

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Archbishop of Canterbury defends faith schools

#1  Postby DougC » May 04, 2014 9:47 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27273053
B.B.C. Article
Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has defended faith schools, saying they provide education for some of the poorest children in the UK.
Archbishop Welby acknowledged the potential danger of fundamentalists attempting to take control of schools.
However, in a BBC interview he said Church of England schools continued to "love and serve", as they "have done for hundreds of years".
The archbishop repeated his view that the UK is "a deeply Christian country".

(Continues)

(My bold)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Archbishop of Canterbury defends faith schools

#2  Postby chairman bill » May 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Fuck off Welby. We're not a Christian country. However low we've fallen, we're not that bad yet. As for poor kids & education, funnily enough, 'faith schools' don't take any more poor kids than non-faith schools. But I suppose lying for Jesus is what being an arch-bish is all about
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby quisquose » May 05, 2014 7:37 am

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has defended faith schools, saying they provide education for some of the poorest children in the UK.

He is parroting what Vincent Nichols said after the stabbing of the teacher in Leeds, that he was proud that Catholic schools like Corpus Christi provided education in some of the poorest areas in the UK.

Bullshit. Faith schools are endemic, they provide education in some of the poorest areas AND some of the wealthiest areas.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Paul » May 05, 2014 8:05 am

"People seem to choose these schools in large numbers. They are often in the poorest parts of the country, we seek to love and serve people, as we should, through these schools - and have done for hundreds of years."

Perhaps they 'choose' these schools because in some places they're the only sensible option you twat!

Whilst many people might actively avoid other faith schools (such as Catholic), CofE schools are probably seen as a 'safe' and convenient option.

In primary education they often have a monopoly. The village school where I lived once was CofE, with no other schools within 3 miles.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby smudge » May 05, 2014 8:12 pm

So he defends faith schools but can only vouch for those of his particular faith. This equates to saying 'who knows and who cares what kids are taught in schools of other faiths'. Serves them right for being born into families who worship false gods I suppose.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mrjonno » May 14, 2014 9:49 pm

chairman bill wrote:Fuck off Welby. We're not a Christian country. However low we've fallen, we're not that bad yet. As for poor kids & education, funnily enough, 'faith schools' don't take any more poor kids than non-faith schools. But I suppose lying for Jesus is what being an arch-bish is all about

Actually we were a Christian country and it was really shit, now we are generally a lot more civilized
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education