Boarding School Syndrome

at the heart of British elite psychopathy?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Boarding School Syndrome

#1  Postby Beatsong » Feb 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Thought this was interesting. I'm not usually one for the whole business of making up new "syndromes" - but the link between the childhood effects and the large numbers of people suffering those effects in the upper echelons of government and business, is certainly thought provoking.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... buse-video
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Boarding School Syndrome

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2015 6:27 pm

A boarding school my old man worked at had a special room where the children used to go and cry when they missed their parents/were bullied/whatever. Poor little tykes - no wonder so many of them turn out all fucked up.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 11, 2015 6:43 pm

All that "fagging".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

Make anyone have a problem.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Strontium Dog » Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm

George Moonbat is an excellent advert for the notion that boarding school fucks you up.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The Serpent » Feb 11, 2015 8:09 pm

I was sent to boarding school from the age of 6. It was ok, but then I don't really know any different.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 12, 2015 11:44 am

Christoper Hitchens is very thought provoking about boarding schools - basically evil dangerous institutions
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Emmeline » Feb 12, 2015 1:36 pm

I think there's probably a big difference between being sent against your will aged 7 or 8 and choosing to board aged 14. I know people who went to day schools until the teenage years and then wanted to board so they could do all the extra sports etc. If I'd had the chance, I would have chosen to board from about 13 but would have hated it when younger.
Emmeline

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Feb 12, 2015 3:55 pm

I didn't go off to boarding school till I turned 15. I loved it. Wish I'd gone earlier.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby archibald » Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Christoper Hitchens is very thought provoking about boarding schools - basically evil dangerous institutions

I'm not really surprised. The man seems (seemed?) to have quite an extensive list of things he thought were basically evil and dangerous institutions. :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby trubble76 » Feb 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Be careful about adopting an over-simplified and unnuanced view of boarding school. It's not all fagging and privilege any more than state schooling is all truancy and poverty.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 12, 2015 7:04 pm

They are classic total institutions. They are doing things to a vulnerable group.

They seem to be preferred by the people who run stuff.

Not dangerous? How to make psychopaths 101?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » Feb 12, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm pretty sceptical.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby THWOTH » Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Christoper Hitchens is very thought provoking about boarding schools - basically evil dangerous institutions

What did he say again? Something like: "'The traditions of the English public school system are rugger, sodomy and the lash." :D

I've said this for a long time, but those among the elite who extol the virtues of a public school system which they conspicuously maintain never get out of their teenage years emotions, besides thinking that the The Lord of the Flies was a documentary.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Do we dare ask detailed questions about everywhere abuse occurs? Total institutions, certain types of economies, certain family and community structures, belief systems....

The New Zealand judge could be quite interesting!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Emotional abuse is the ongoing emotional maltreatment or emotional neglect of a child. It’s sometimes called psychological abuse and can seriously damage a child’s emotional health and development.

Emotional abuse can involve deliberately trying to scare or humiliate a child or isolating or ignoring them.

Children who are emotionally abused are usually suffering another type of abuse or neglect at the same time – but this isn’t always the case.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abus ... nal-abuse/

Is the NSPCC not aware that institutions can abuse?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby archibald » Feb 12, 2015 11:54 pm

trubble76 wrote:Be careful about adopting an over-simplified and unnuanced view of boarding school. It's not all fagging and privilege any more than state schooling is all truancy and poverty.

I agree.

I had a whale of a time at boarding school, for a variety of reasons.

To begin with, I came from the backarse of the middle of nowhere in Rural Ireland, so my after school (primary school) and weekends mainly consisted of playing by myself or with one of my two sisters. Boarding school meant having an instant set of available pals 24/7. And there were girl boarders too. :)

Secondly, my parental home was not a happy one. Much dysfunctionality. Getting sent to boarding school was, in hindsight, an escape to a world of order and rules and study and personal responsibility. I wouldn't be half the person I am today without it.

Please. No one say, 'well, exactly. Thank you for illustrating the concerns raised in the OP so clearly.' Lol.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Thommo » Feb 13, 2015 2:05 am

Well, exactly. Thank you for illustrating the concerns raised in the OP so clearly.

:whistle:
Thommo

Print view this post

#18  Postby The Serpent » Feb 13, 2015 4:28 am

archibald wrote:
trubble76 wrote:Be careful about adopting an over-simplified and unnuanced view of boarding school. It's not all fagging and privilege any more than state schooling is all truancy and poverty.

I agree.

I had a whale of a time at boarding school, for a variety of reasons.

To begin with, I came from the backarse of the middle of nowhere in Rural Ireland, so my after school (primary school) and weekends mainly consisted of playing by myself or with one of my two sisters. Boarding school meant having an instant set of available pals 24/7. And there were girl boarders too. :)

Secondly, my parental home was not a happy one. Much dysfunctionality. Getting sent to boarding school was, in hindsight, an escape to a world of order and rules and study and personal responsibility. I wouldn't be half the person I am today without it.

Please. No one say, 'well, exactly. Thank you for illustrating the concerns raised in the OP so clearly.' Lol.

Yes. My family home was not a pleasant place -- I much preferred being at school than having to endure my father and his brutish ways.

We didn't have girls in my schools tho'.

That said, the schools I attended (both prep and secondary) employed corporal punishment with considerable enthusiasm. I was caned and or strapped on a regular basis, but such was the style of the time.

Perhaps Australian boarding schools were different to those in Blighty. When I was a yoof boarding was pretty much essential for kids from the bush. A considerable number of the fellows I boarded with were cockies sons. If you were from a pastoral or grazing family, you might live hours and hours from the nearest settlement and boarding was essential for upper schooling.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Clive Durdle » Feb 13, 2015 6:58 am

That said, the schools I attended (both prep and secondary) employed corporal punishment with considerable enthusiasm. I was caned and or strapped on a regular basis, but such was the style of the time

Institutional child abuse
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The Serpent » Feb 13, 2015 7:29 am

Clive Durdle wrote:
That said, the schools I attended (both prep and secondary) employed corporal punishment with considerable enthusiasm. I was caned and or strapped on a regular basis, but such was the style of the time

Institutional child abuse

Were you beaten at school?
The Serpent

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education