Breastfeeding 'linked to higher IQ'

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Breastfeeding 'linked to higher IQ'

#1  Postby DougC » Mar 18, 2015 9:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31925449
B.B.C. Article
A long-term study has pointed to a link between breastfeeding and intelligence.
The research in Brazil traced nearly 3,500 babies, from all walks of life, and found those who had been breastfed for longer went on to score higher on IQ tests as adults.
Experts say the results, while not conclusive, appear to back current advice that babies should be exclusively breastfed for six months.
But they say mothers should still have a choice about whether or not to do it.
Regarding the findings - published in The Lancet Global Health - they stress there are many different factors other than breastfeeding that could have an impact on intelligence, although the researchers did try to rule out the main confounders, such as mother's education, family income and birth weight.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Breastfeeding 'linked to higher IQ'

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 19, 2015 1:07 am

Yep, Einstein was breastfeeding well into his 40s.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Mar 19, 2015 2:24 am

We should mandate it. It is in the best interests of the child.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 19, 2015 4:31 am

They can't even regulate the shit that they sell to older kids. I don't see how you can regulate how people feed their babies. On a positive note, there might finally be a legitimate use for all of those Federal Breast Inspector t-shirts if they go ahead with it.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby igorfrankensteen » Mar 19, 2015 4:50 am

I'm ever cautious about studies such as this. All statistical correlation kinds of conclusions are tricky.

I don't care about this one too much, since it isn't promoting anything dangerous per se.

I couldn't tell from the article whether they thought through the more obvious concerns, rather than just the usual political ones they mentioned...

...such as finding out WHY a woman did or didn't breast feed her baby for whatever length of time she did so. I should think that THAT would be far more informative than social status and such.

For example, I have directly seen that the cause and effect is often reversed in real life. It isn't that a given child had more trouble through their life because their mother failed to suckle them long enough; it's that the child or the mother had inherent physiological problems of one sort or another which made their lives more difficult, AND prevented a long suckling period.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby trevp » Mar 19, 2015 10:28 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:We should mandate it. It is in the best interests of the child.

Well even the highest estimates for the number of women who can breastfeed only suggest that 97% of women are able to breastfeed. According to the office of national statistics in the UK, there were 723,913 live births in 2011. 3% of this figure is 21,717 and this would give an approximation of the number of mothers in the UK every year unable to breastfeed (excluding the effect of twins and triplets which would be quire small).

This makes the whole idea of mandatory breastfeeding (even excluding argumnents about personal freedom of choice) pretty stupid.
trevp

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Sendraks » Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am

trevp wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:We should mandate it. It is in the best interests of the child.

Well even the highest estimates for the number of women who can breastfeed only suggest that 97% of women are able to breastfeed. According to the office of national statistics in the UK, there were 723,913 live births in 2011. 3% of this figure is 21,717 and this would give an approximation of the number of mothers in the UK every year unable to breastfeed (excluding the effect of twins and triplets which would be quire small).

This makes the whole idea of mandatory breastfeeding (even excluding argumnents about personal freedom of choice) pretty stupid.

:this:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Paul » Mar 19, 2015 11:02 am

There was a woman on BBC yesterday talking about this and she was bemoaning the fact that a lot of time in ante-natal class is spent telling expectant mothers how good breastfeeding is, and not enough time telling them how to deal with problems when they apparently can't breastfeed, which only makes the poor women more anxious when they do have problems.

Can't remember what her precise role is, but she often gets called in to help mothers having difficulty and is often able to solve problems, and wishes more support was given in the NHS to doing the same thing.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby babel » Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

Is this effect noticeable, even if the mother isn't eating properly herself?

edit: I'm not talking about not being able to breastfeed, but about the increase in IQ.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Sendraks » Mar 19, 2015 11:08 am

Paul wrote:There was a woman on BBC yesterday talking about this and she was bemoaning the fact that a lot of time in ante-natal class is spent telling expectant mothers how good breastfeeding is, and not enough time telling them how to deal with problems when they apparently can't breastfeed, which only makes the poor women more anxious when they do have problems.

Can't remember what her precise role is, but she often gets called in to help mothers having difficulty and is often able to solve problems, and wishes more support was given in the NHS to doing the same thing.

I saw that as well. From what I've heard from my friends who've had kids, the support about "how to breastfeed" and what the difficulties might be, varies across the country. I think it is another one of those issues that from the outside seems relatively straightforward "baby hungry? Present breast. Baby feed" that gets waaaay more complicated in practise. I know for some of my friends, worrying that they might not be able to breastfeed caused them a lot of anxiety and occasions where their baby wouldn't latch or did latch and no milk emerged, induced full blown panic.

Then you've got breast milk itself, which if its workings haven't been explained to you, can also cause confusion for a mother.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby ED209 » Mar 19, 2015 11:13 am

I call bullshit on all this. Aside from the general bullshittedness of IQ testing and the unreliability of respondents' reports there is no way that they could have been successful in controlling for all the confounding factors at either the individual or social/national levels.

What's the impact on a developing baby of a mother made to feel stressed and guilty because they are unable to breastfeed? I'll guess we'll know in 30 years.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#12  Postby trubble76 » Mar 21, 2015 5:09 pm

I could use a few extra IQ points, it is not always easy to find someone willing to breastfeed you though :(
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Yay, something else to bully women who can't/don't want to breastfeed over!
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Yes, but keep them out of the public eye while we do it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Veida » Mar 21, 2015 8:52 pm

A good predictor of the IQ of a child is the IQ of its parents.

This study didn't compensate for the IQ of the parents. That's pretty poor, isn't it?
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#17  Postby Fallible » Mar 22, 2015 9:38 am

If, after being bludgeoned with the 'breast is best' message for months on end, mothers find that their milk hasn't come in or that the baby can't latch on, and when they get more and more exhausted and anxious which makes it more and more difficult to breast feed, and when after weeks of broken sleep, self-flagellation and breast pumps they give up, this kind of nonsense is the last thing they need. Everyone knows it's good for babies to drink breast milk. Sometimes it doesn't/can't happen. In the vast majority of these cases, the baby is still fine and goes on to live a normal life.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 25, 2015 8:38 am

just findout what in breastmilk increases iq and replicate it for all adults too!.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education