Facebook bans mother

For posting family photos with anencephalic baby

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Facebook bans mother

#61  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 10:27 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sendraks wrote:Who said you were wrong?

MoS is implying that someone needs to adopt a specific ideology related to atheism in order to think it's wrong to use a dead child's condition as an insult and that's why supposedly nobody agrees with me.

Sendraks wrote:You think it is in bad taste. No one is telling you to think differently.
That some of us disagree doesn't make us wrong either.

Well sure, in some strict world of relativism, maybe. But the point is that someone can't be consistent in damning the Facebook decision and refuse to damn Cali for his comment, as they are both pretty equally horrible.

Animavore wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:Come now, I don't think we should be so pessimistic to think I'm the only one who found the comment to be ridiculously bad.

Actually I did. On par with saying that person X is more Down's-y than the Down's kid they're making fun of (to stick with my earlier analogy).

Though I wasn't bothered being outraged by it. I find Franky Boyle funny FFS.

I agree with your analogy but I don't think "outraged" is a good descriptor. I find Frankie Boyle hilarious too but I wouldn't enter a thread to make fun of some ridiculously insensitive thing somebody has said about rape to quote a rape joke made by Boyle. I'm more just amused at the ridiculousness of Cali attempting to criticise the actions of Facebook by making a comment that is similarly shitty to those actions themselves.

I never thought it would be controversial to basically point out that maybe we shouldn't insult the condition of a dead baby in a thread about its mother who is trying to raise awareness of the condition..

Insult a condition? When did this become a problem, and for whom?


Since this thread is about the problem of her kid's condition being treated as "offensive" it makes no sense to use it as an insult.

It's a problem for anyone who doesn't want to be hypocritical.
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Facebook bans mother

#62  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2014 10:36 am

Actually, the thread started to be about facebook's banning of this dead kid's mother. You are desperate to make it about the dead kid's condition. You seem to have confused the subject and object of the OP.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21080
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#63  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2014 10:38 am

Cali could just as easily have declared the people at facebook who made this decision to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

But, you don't care about hammers, do you?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21080
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#64  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 08, 2014 10:39 am

Photos of her child were banned due to his condition being deemed offensive. I thought that's what the thread was about.
what a terrible image
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: speaking moistly
Posts: 13521
Age: 32
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#65  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2014 10:43 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Photos of her child were banned due to his condition being deemed offensive. I thought that's what the thread was about.

Here it is again:

Made of Stars wrote:Bad call, Facebook, bad call.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Melody McCabe wrote:A mum in the US is furious that Facebook banned photos of her son, because he had a severe birth defect.

Image


Grayson James Walker lived for only 8 hours. He had anencephaly, a fatal condition in which a baby is born without parts of the brain and skull.

On the day he was born in February 2012, the family had special photographs taken by a professional photographer and a video made to remember their third child's short life. But Heather Walker's decision to post a photograph of Grayson on Facebook last month, two years after his death resulted in considerable backlash.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/ba ... 34vxh.html
Looks like they did a remarkable job of dealing with an incredibly difficult situation. Good on them. And shame on Facebook.

Looks like commentary on facebook's behavior to me.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21080
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#66  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 10:48 am

The_Metatron wrote:Actually, the thread started to be about facebook's banning of this dead kid's mother. You are desperate to make it about the dead kid's condition. You seem to have confused the subject and object of the OP.


Why would I care about making it about the kids condition?
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#67  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am

The_Metatron wrote:Cali could just as easily have declared the people at facebook who made this decision to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

But, you don't care about hammers, do you?


There wouldn't be any hypocrisy if Cali had said that so I wouldn't care. I think you've completely failed to understand the topic of this thread and my criticism of Calis post.

I suggest you calm down a little, so trying to troll me due to some personal grievance and then just deal with the actual topic.
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Facebook bans mother

#68  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Actually, the thread started to be about facebook's banning of this dead kid's mother. You are desperate to make it about the dead kid's condition. You seem to have confused the subject and object of the OP.

Why would I care about making it about the kids condition?

Who can say?

So long as someone doesn't insult that condition, I suppose. The condition might become angry. Never mind my fictional slight against the noble hammer, over which you care nothing.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21080
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#69  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2014 10:52 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Cali could just as easily have declared the people at facebook who made this decision to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

But, you don't care about hammers, do you?

There wouldn't be any hypocrisy if Cali had said that so I wouldn't care. I think you've completely failed to understand the topic of this thread and my criticism of Calis post.

I suggest you calm down a little, so trying to troll me due to some personal grievance and then just deal with the actual topic.

That's it then? Someone was wrong on the internet?

Glad you pointed that out.

Apparently, you define trolling as disagreement? Convenient for you, isn't it?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21080
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#70  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 11:05 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Actually, the thread started to be about facebook's banning of this dead kid's mother. You are desperate to make it about the dead kid's condition. You seem to have confused the subject and object of the OP.

Why would I care about making it about the kids condition?

Who can say?

So long as someone doesn't insult that condition, I suppose. The condition might become angry. Never mind my fictional slight against the noble hammer, over which you care nothing.


Great arguments, I just wish they had any relevance to this thread.
The_Metatron wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Cali could just as easily have declared the people at facebook who made this decision to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

But, you don't care about hammers, do you?

There wouldn't be any hypocrisy if Cali had said that so I wouldn't care. I think you've completely failed to understand the topic of this thread and my criticism of Calis post.

I suggest you calm down a little, so trying to troll me due to some personal grievance and then just deal with the actual topic.

That's it then? Someone was wrong on the internet?

Glad you pointed that out.

Apparently, you define trolling as disagreement? Convenient for you, isn't it?


Yes my position was that someone was wrong on the Internet which is 99% of the discussion on this forum. Why have you responded to my posts? Because you think I'm wrong.

I don't care if you disagree with me but currently you haven't demonstrated that you even understand what I've said so I have no idea if you agree with me or not. I assume that if I said the sky is blue though you'd find a way to debate fiercely over how I'm wrong.

Look, take the time to understand the topic and my posts then we can talk. Until then it will just be more of this incoherent mess you're posting.
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#71  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9820
Age: 52
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#72  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm

In a topic about ableism being demonstrated by Facebook, is it really off-topic when a mod with a track record of penalising other members for "sexist" and "racist" language is using ableist language on the forum?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
User avatar
Strontium Dog
Banned User
 
Name: Dan
Posts: 13820
Age: 42
Male

Country: UK: Free May 2010-15
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#73  Postby ED209 » Apr 08, 2014 6:12 pm

How many fallacies can you pack into one sentence? It's irrelevant which individual mod writes the sanction, it's a group decision and indeed there is no reason to believe that the mod doing the writing even agrees with the decision. Mind you, in cases like the unarguable example of racist and sexist filth which I suspect is now being disputed in yet another unrelated thread I expect any of the mods would have been only too pleased to hand out the thoroughly deserved sanction.

Made of Stars wrote:The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.


:this: take it to fucking feedback.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
User avatar
ED209
 
Posts: 10417

Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#74  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Made of Stars wrote:The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.


Except it's not.

ED209 wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.


:this: take it to fucking feedback.


Take what to feedback? An on-topic discussion of a hypocritical position on the subject of this thread? It would just get merged into this thread as it's not a discussion of rules but is an on-topic discussion of this thread.
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#75  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.


Except it's not.

ED209 wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:The OP is about Facebook censoring content in a particular sensitive circumstance.

The rest of the nonsense about what Cali said is off-topic.


:this: take it to fucking feedback.


Take what to feedback? An on-topic discussion of a hypocritical position on the subject of this thread? It would just get merged into this thread as it's not a discussion of rules but is an on-topic discussion of this thread.

Off topic.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9820
Age: 52
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Facebook bans mother

#76  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Facebook subsequently recanted:

Upon investigation, we concluded the photo does not violate our guidelines and was removed in error,” Facebook said in a written statement. “Facebook is a place where almost a billion people share more than 300 million photos a day. Our dedicated Users Operations Team reviews millions of pieces of this content a day to help keep Facebook safe for all ages. Our policies are enforced by a team of reviewers in several offices across the globe. This team looks at hundreds of thousands of reports every week, and as you might expect, occasionally, we make a mistake and remove a piece of content we shouldn’t have. We extend our deepest condolences to the family and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

http://myfox8.com/2012/05/21/facebook-r ... s-account/
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9820
Age: 52
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#77  Postby scott1328 » Apr 08, 2014 8:11 pm

So no harm done and Mr. Samsa and Calli can kiss and make up?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#78  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
Off topic.


If only wishing made it so. If you don't want to deal with my on-topic comments then that's completely up to you but you probably shouldn't keep commenting on them as it's clogging up the thread.

scott1328 wrote:So no harm done and Mr. Samsa and Calli can kiss and make up?


There wasn't anything personal in it so I don't need to give Cali a bit of tongue but the problem is still there regardless of Facebook's later actions; namely, the hypocrisy.
Image
Mr.Samsa
 
Posts: 11370
Age: 35

Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#79  Postby Strontium Dog » Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Facebook subsequently recanted:

Upon investigation, we concluded the photo does not violate our guidelines and was removed in error,” Facebook said in a written statement. “Facebook is a place where almost a billion people share more than 300 million photos a day. Our dedicated Users Operations Team reviews millions of pieces of this content a day to help keep Facebook safe for all ages. Our policies are enforced by a team of reviewers in several offices across the globe. This team looks at hundreds of thousands of reports every week, and as you might expect, occasionally, we make a mistake and remove a piece of content we shouldn’t have. We extend our deepest condolences to the family and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.


http://myfox8.com/2012/05/21/facebook-r ... s-account/


It's nice when Internet authorities can admit their mistakes, rather than digging in their heels and compounding the error. Lessons could be learned from that in certain quarters.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
User avatar
Strontium Dog
Banned User
 
Name: Dan
Posts: 13820
Age: 42
Male

Country: UK: Free May 2010-15
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Facebook bans mother

#80  Postby campermon » Apr 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Lessons could be learned from that in certain quarters.


Indeed.

It's never too late to learn.

:grin:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17437
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest