Facebook bans mother

For posting family photos with anencephalic baby

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Facebook bans mother

#1  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Bad call, Facebook, bad call.

Melody McCabe wrote:A mum in the US is furious that Facebook banned photos of her son, because he had a severe birth defect.

Grayson James Walker lived for only 8 hours. He had anencephaly, a fatal condition in which a baby is born without parts of the brain and skull.

On the day he was born in February 2012, the family had special photographs taken by a professional photographer and a video made to remember their third child's short life. But Heather Walker's decision to post a photograph of Grayson on Facebook last month, two years after his death resulted in considerable backlash.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/ba ... 34vxh.html

Looks like they did a remarkable job of dealing with an incredibly difficult situation. Good on them. And shame on Facebook.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Facebook bans mother

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 29, 2014 8:54 pm

I posted a pic of an anencephalic child on RDF before and got a backlash. People asking me to spoiler it and stuff. I reasoned that asking me to spoiler it was like asking me to spoiler a Down's syndrome child. People are obviously extremely uncomfortable with the whole thing.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks like the Farcebook operatives who approved this were more anencephalic than the baby ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Regina » Mar 29, 2014 9:12 pm

The poor mite was photographed with a bible in his arm. :?
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 29, 2014 10:34 pm

That's really heartbreaking, but the song playing with that video just infuriates me. "It's not my place to question. Only God knows why . . . Hallelujah . . ." :nono:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am

Calilasseia wrote:Looks like the Farcebook operatives who approved this were more anencephalic than the baby ...

...Really? We're going to use the kid's condition that the mother is trying to raise awareness about as an insult?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#7  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 03, 2014 9:36 am

It's a metaphor, based on the meaning of 'anencephalic'.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 9:37 am

Made of Stars wrote:It's a metaphor, based on the meaning of 'anencephalic'.

Oh, so the "metaphor" wasn't used as an insult?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#9  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 03, 2014 9:53 am

I've no doubt it was. But what's it to you?

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 9:56 am

Made of Stars wrote:I've no doubt it was. But what's it to you?

I was just pointing out that it was in extremely bad taste and on par with the ridiculousness of the original Facebook decision. But what's it to you? (That's a rhetorical question, I was just highlighting how silly it was for you to ask that of me).
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#11  Postby Sendraks » Apr 03, 2014 9:58 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
I was just pointing out that it was in extremely bad taste and on par with the ridiculousness of the original Facebook decision. But what's it to you? (That's a rhetorical question, I was just highlighting how silly it was for you to ask that of me).

Fine, you think it is in bad taste. Noted.

Moving on. :coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 10:05 am

Sendraks wrote:

Come now, I don't think we should be so pessimistic to think I'm the only one who found the comment to be ridiculously bad.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#13  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am

You might be alone - there's a distinct lack of apelusters here. But you're just looking for another thread filled with moral outrage, aren't you?

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am

Made of Stars wrote:You might be alone - there's a distinct lack of apelusters here. But you're just looking for another thread filled with moral outrage, aren't you?

:lol: Jesus this is ridiculous. K, I'm obviously in the wrong for thinking it's shitty to use the condition of a mother's dead child as an insult. Great work team.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
:lol: Jesus this is ridiculous. K, I'm obviously in the wrong for thinking it's shitty to use the condition of a mother's dead child as an insult. Great work team.

Who said you were wrong?
You think it is in bad taste. No one is telling you to think differently.
That some of us disagree doesn't make us wrong either.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Animavore » Apr 03, 2014 10:22 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

Come now, I don't think we should be so pessimistic to think I'm the only one who found the comment to be ridiculously bad.

Actually I did. On par with saying that person X is more Down's-y than the Down's kid they're making fun of (to stick with my earlier analogy).

Though I wasn't bothered being outraged by it. I find Franky Boyle funny FFS.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am

Sendraks wrote:Who said you were wrong?

MoS is implying that someone needs to adopt a specific ideology related to atheism in order to think it's wrong to use a dead child's condition as an insult and that's why supposedly nobody agrees with me.

Sendraks wrote:You think it is in bad taste. No one is telling you to think differently.
That some of us disagree doesn't make us wrong either.

Well sure, in some strict world of relativism, maybe. But the point is that someone can't be consistent in damning the Facebook decision and refuse to damn Cali for his comment, as they are both pretty equally horrible.

Animavore wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Actually I did. On par with saying that person X is more Down's-y than the Down's kid they're making fun of (to stick with my earlier analogy).

Though I wasn't bothered being outraged by it. I find Franky Boyle funny FFS.

I agree with your analogy but I don't think "outraged" is a good descriptor. I find Frankie Boyle hilarious too but I wouldn't enter a thread to make fun of some ridiculously insensitive thing somebody has said about rape to quote a rape joke made by Boyle. I'm more just amused at the ridiculousness of Cali attempting to criticise the actions of Facebook by making a comment that is similarly shitty to those actions themselves.

I never thought it would be controversial to basically point out that maybe we shouldn't insult the condition of a dead baby in a thread about its mother who is trying to raise awareness of the condition..
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Apr 03, 2014 10:31 am

I didn't think it was controversial. I wouldn't of commented on it myself. I would've done that with the original comment in the first place if I had strong feeling toward it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 03, 2014 10:31 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:

MoS is implying that someone needs to adopt a specific ideology related to atheism in order to think it's wrong to use a dead child's condition as an insult and that's why supposedly nobody agrees with me.

Aaaaand we're in the twilight zone.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

Made of Stars wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Aaaaand we're in the twilight zone.

I don't think you understand what the Twilight Zone is about...
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education