Female Aggression - Girls, Enablers - Clothing, and Makeup

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Female Aggression - Girls, Enablers - Clothing, and Mak

#21  Postby Julia » May 08, 2010 1:59 pm

GreyICE wrote:I have an ongoing argument that flares up on occasion.

I have a strong belief that giving clothing and makeup choices to children is awful. As background, my girlfriend grew up experimenting with various types of clothing and makeup, and claims it never did her any harm. Now if I have female children, I'd want to ban that sort of stuff in the house, and my partner disagrees.

The argument is that little girls are naturally vicious connivers who are predisposed to use relational aggressionin all aspects of their personal life. I know some of the same behavior has been documented in some boys, but to keep it brief I'm being general here. You just have to look at a group of children, the boys are usually reasonably friendly with most of eachother, and even the 'outcasts' have their own group, while the girls relentlessly ostracize and target the 'outcasts.' Women have remarkably higher depression rates, they spend three times as much money on mental health issues, you know what I'm talking about. How often do you hear about guys institutionalized for a week or two, versus girls?

I don't have any daughters, so it's not an issue for me, but if it was, I'd be working my hardest to make sure that they didn't get these tools that they use to create the relational aggression that has destroyed the lives of so many. When you have issues like depression and mental illness that haunt women, it shouldn't be laughed off as 'gossip' or 'moody girls.' These tools are enablers for the tendency women have to lie, cheat, and betray others.

Am I overreacting, or do I have a point?

I think you're overreacting. My experience has been the polar opposite. Boys, even when they're "friends" seem to enjoy insulting each other and rarely have serious, intimate discussions about things that really matter in their lives. Girls, in general, are much more supportive of each other. This whole "mean girls" thing has been blown way out of proportion, imo.

Btw, I raised one of each.

My son had Tourette's--a mild case, and I can tell you it was never girls who made fun of him or bullied him on the bus. It was boys.
Julia

Name: Julia
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby HughMcB » May 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I have a strong belief that giving clothing and makeup choices to children is awful. As background, my girlfriend grew up experimenting with various types of clothing and makeup, and claims it never did her any harm. Now if I have female children, I'd want to ban that sort of stuff in the house, and my partner disagrees.

This is where you lost me. I think banning anything which is legal for use to said age group is just counter productive. Encourage them to dress as they like. sure, but for you to impose rules upon them as to what they can and can't wear will only create a disgruntled teenage girl with Daddy issues, so you really want that?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby melchior » May 09, 2010 12:38 pm

What the fuck is relational aggression?
Would you like a cup of tea with that?
melchior

Print view this post

#24  Postby Regina » May 09, 2010 1:28 pm

melchior wrote:What the fuck is relational aggression?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_aggression
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Warren Dew » May 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Julia wrote:I think you're overreacting. My experience has been the polar opposite. Boys, even when they're "friends" seem to enjoy insulting each other and rarely have serious, intimate discussions about things that really matter in their lives. Girls, in general, are much more supportive of each other.

GreyICE's position that relational aggression is more common in girls appears to be supported by the scientific literature.

My own experience agrees with his position. While jocks certainly enjoy insulting each other, no one takes them seriously. Certainly the behavior is somewhat pointless and stupid, but then the whole idea behind team sports is to get people to avoid thinking for themselves so they can cooperate as cogs in a machine.

I can say from personal experience that boys have plenty of serious, one on one discussions about things that matter to them. As a geek, those things for me were typically scientific subjects, but there are lots of high school boys who talk about personal relationships too - or more specifically, sex, since that's what really matters to them.

My wife's experience was right in line with the research. The girls she knew were the opposite of supportive: they spent much of their conversational time needling each other. Since my wife is also a geek, she didn't participate much, but she still ended up on the receiving end enough for her memories of high school acquaintances not to be happy ones.

I doubt genes have much to do with the difference, though, and I question whether clothing and makeup are "enablers" for it.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby Julia » May 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Warren, all I can say is that my experience has been very different. Both from what I've observed with my two children (girl and boy) growing up and with my own and my husband's growing up. Maybe I was just friends with nicer women? Or maybe it's a different generation--my teen and young adult years were in the 70s and 80s.
Julia

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby melchior » May 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Regina wrote:
melchior wrote:What the fuck is relational aggression?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_aggression

Right, so it's a posh term for being a bit of a bitch? And the problem with that is?!!
melchior

Print view this post

#28  Postby Eduard » May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

The argument is that little girls are naturally vicious connivers who are predisposed to use relational aggressionin all aspects of their personal life. I know some of the same behavior has been documented in some boys, but to keep it brief I'm being general here. You just have to look at a group of children, the boys are usually reasonably friendly with most of eachother, and even the 'outcasts' have their own group, while the girls relentlessly ostracize and target the 'outcasts.' Women have remarkably higher depression rates, they spend three times as much money on mental health issues, you know what I'm talking about. How often do you hear about guys institutionalized for a week or two, versus girls?

I don't have any daughters, so it's not an issue for me, but if it was, I'd be working my hardest to make sure that they didn't get these tools that they use to create the relational aggression that has destroyed the lives of so many. When you have issues like depression and mental illness that haunt women, it shouldn't be laughed off as 'gossip' or 'moody girls.' These tools are enablers for the tendency women have to lie, cheat, and betray others.

Am I overreacting, or do I have a point?

Maybe you have a point, but it's not very well stated. The generalisation you are making is kind of vague. Your argument that (in general) all girls are "naturally vicious connivers who are predisposed to relational aggression in all aspects of their personal lives" is not really true, because the argument does not take into account basic causal factors that would influence such behaviour (i.e. culture, race, religion, upbringing, social norms, etc.) You could make precisely the same argument and just replace girls with boys (little girls are naturally vicious connivers who are predisposed to use relational agggresion in all aspects of their personal life)
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Sgt Kelly » May 10, 2010 2:20 pm

EduardHorak wrote:You could make precisely the same argument and just replace girls with boys (little girls are naturally vicious connivers who are predisposed to use relational agggresion in all aspects of their personal life)

Which was his entire point, given that someone else first posted this.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Warren Dew » May 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Julia wrote:Warren, all I can say is that my experience has been very different. Both from what I've observed with my two children (girl and boy) growing up and with my own and my husband's growing up. Maybe I was just friends with nicer women? Or maybe it's a different generation--my teen and young adult years were in the 70s and 80s.

I'm the same generation as you are, so generational differences don't explain your husband's unusual experiences if he suffered from a lot of relational aggression rather than physical aggression. My wife is 10 years younger - gen X rather than boomer - but presumably your children are younger than she is.

You might have gone to a nicer high school.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Warren Dew » May 10, 2010 8:53 pm

melchior wrote:Right, so it's a posh term for being a bit of a bitch? And the problem with that is?!!

Lives ruined and people dead, of course.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby GreyICE » May 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Julia wrote:Warren, all I can say is that my experience has been very different. Both from what I've observed with my two children (girl and boy) growing up and with my own and my husband's growing up. Maybe I was just friends with nicer women? Or maybe it's a different generation--my teen and young adult years were in the 70s and 80s.

I'm the same generation as you are, so generational differences don't explain your husband's unusual experiences if he suffered from a lot of relational aggression rather than physical aggression. My wife is 10 years younger - gen X rather than boomer - but presumably your children are younger than she is.

Rather, three hypotheses occur to me:

1) The scientific study is wrong, as shown by one person's anecdotal evidence
2) The anecdote doesn't reflect a cross section of America well
3) The observer is actually really not a trained psychologist, and is pretty lousy at observation (most people are, almost by definition).

2 or 3 is usually the most likely scenario, 1 is the scenario most people posit.
GreyICE

Name: Kiss my ass

Print view this post

#33  Postby Warren Dew » May 10, 2010 9:01 pm

EduardHorak wrote:the argument does not take into account basic causal factors that would influence such behaviour (i.e. culture, race, religion, upbringing, social norms, etc.)

I think the argument actually does take those factors into account. For example, take this summary of the book Social aggression among girls by Marion K. Underwood:

Integrating current research on emotion regulation, gender, and peer relations, the book examines how girls are socialized to experience and express anger and aggression from infancy through adolescence. Considered are the developmental functions of such behaviors as gossip, friendship manipulation, and social exclusion; consequences for both victims and perpetrators; and approaches to intervention and prevention.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lVYYib ... ry_r&cad=0

So yes, it does appear that the influences are primarily social rather than genetic. Certainly girls are normally socialized differently from boys.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby GreyICE » May 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Warren, I'm wondering if you think its likely that relational aggression in females and male violence are two different manifestations of human aggressive tendencies (with the manifestation being forced from social constructs rather than some genetic factor), and that the real solution we need to be looking at is rechanneling aggression for both genders into something positive?

I'd further like to say that this is a problem that I don't think has received a lot of press for women. When young boys are violent, people often rechannel that into sports and other activities, where they release their aggression. When young girls are relationally aggressive, its usually unnoticed, or they're told they should be nicer. They're never given an outlet for their aggression and competitive instincts the way boys are. There's plenty of opportunities for social aggression and the like to work itself out harmlessly - debate clubs, intellectual games like go, or studying social engineering and marketing (and maybe even playing social engineering games), but these activities are generally passed over, despite probably being a hell of a lot more valuable, long term, than soccer.
GreyICE

Print view this post

#35  Postby Julia » May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Warren Dew wrote:

My husband's experiences were as growing up fat and Jewish in a mostly non-Jewish area. He was bullied and threatened for one thing or the other and it was always by boys. He had a few friends among the smartest boys in the school. Girls treated him much better than boys. Once he grew up (very tall and no longer overweight) he had no more problems.

I think I did go to a pretty nice high school but no nicer than lots in affluent suburbs on the east coast.
Julia

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Warren Dew » May 11, 2010 1:25 am

Julia wrote:My husband's experiences were as growing up fat and Jewish in a mostly non-Jewish area. He was bullied and threatened for one thing or the other and it was always by boys.

Bullying and threats are more what I would expect for boys - physical aggression, rather than relational aggression.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Warren Dew » May 11, 2010 2:05 am

GreyICE wrote:Warren, I'm wondering if you think its likely that relational aggression in females and male violence are two different manifestations of human aggressive tendencies (with the manifestation being forced from social constructs rather than some genetic factor), and that the real solution we need to be looking at is rechanneling aggression for both genders into something positive?

The summary of Underwood's book certainly seems to suggest there is some such effect. I haven't read the book but I've put it on my Amazon wish list to remind myself to at some point.

I'm not convinced that "rechanneling aggression ... into something positive" is realistic. Minimizing the damage might be the best we can do. There may also be ways of reducing the aggression in the first place, so it doesn't have to be channeled.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby GreyICE » May 11, 2010 3:47 am

Warren Dew wrote:
GreyICE wrote:Warren, I'm wondering if you think its likely that relational aggression in females and male violence are two different manifestations of human aggressive tendencies (with the manifestation being forced from social constructs rather than some genetic factor), and that the real solution we need to be looking at is rechanneling aggression for both genders into something positive?

The summary of Underwood's book certainly seems to suggest there is some such effect. I haven't read the book but I've put it on my Amazon wish list to remind myself to at some point.

I'm not convinced that "rechanneling aggression ... into something positive" is realistic. Minimizing the damage might be the best we can do. There may also be ways of reducing the aggression in the first place, so it doesn't have to be channeled.

Minimize the damage aggression does? What do you think ambition is caused by? A desire to overcome, to succeed, to be the best. You think Thomas Edison was motivated by a desire to make everyone's life better? That Ford invented assembly lines because he had the best interests of the human race at heart? That Stephen Hawking has nothing to prove to anyone?

People get where they are because they work to get there, and people work to get there because they don't want to be 'middle of the pack.' Call it aggression, ambition, drive, success is 10% talent and 90% hard work, and people work hard less for altruistic reasons, and more for selfish ones.

Rechanneled aggression is one of the most powerful forces in human nature. I've seen no evidence at all that we'd be better off if we reduced it. More stagnant, sure. A few less wars, a few million more dead of cancer because there's no one driving themselves to find a cure, it's not a net benefit from where I'm sitting.
GreyICE

Print view this post

#39  Postby melchior » May 11, 2010 6:53 am

Warren Dew wrote:
melchior wrote:Right, so it's a posh term for being a bit of a bitch? And the problem with that is?!!

Warren, 'Mean Girls' isn't real.

Being a girl, having a sister, having 2 girls of my own and working in a co-ed school means that I know a little bit about the female of the species and how we operate. This relational aggression that you speak of is certainly not the norm and is not confined to girls.

I've seen girls fist fighting, had a couple myself as a kid, and I've seen boys engage in covert bullying. In fact my oldest son has been the victim of 'relational aggression' perpetrated by other boys in his school.
melchior

Print view this post

#40  Postby GreyICE » May 11, 2010 7:59 am

melchior wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

Warren, 'Mean Girls' isn't real.

Being a girl, having a sister, having 2 girls of my own and working in a co-ed school means that I know a little bit about the female of the species and how we operate. This relational aggression that you speak of is certainly not the norm and is not confined to girls.

I've seen girls fist fighting, had a couple myself as a kid, and I've seen boys engage in covert bullying. In fact my oldest son has been the victim of 'relational aggression' perpetrated by other boys in his school.

Statistically, however, women tend to use relational aggression more often than men, and men tend to use physical aggression more often than women. Anecdotes are not a solid substitute for science. We can all agree that its certainly not an exclusive thing, but pretending something that is true is not true is just delusion.
GreyICE

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education