Girls bridge math gap, but boys lag in reading

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Girls bridge math gap, but boys lag in reading

#41  Postby Segundo » Apr 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Topsy wrote:The IQ data I know of suggests that females and males have an equal average IQ but that there are more males at the genius end and also at the learning difficulties end.

Shh. :crazy:

If there are more males at the genius and retarded ends compared to females then the averages for the two sexes would probably be different (maybe they would have to be different - a mathematician may know).

Edit:

Consider these two sets:

A: 1,10,1
B: 2,10,2

Mean of:
A = 4
B = 4.6
Last edited by Segundo on Apr 17, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Segundo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Segundo wrote:I came across the Herrnstein and Murray finding before but Lynn (and others I think) have found a small difference in the male-female averages. I can probably find a reference if you want.

I'd be interested in a reference, thanks.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Segundo » Apr 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Segundo wrote:I came across the Herrnstein and Murray finding before but Lynn (and others I think) have found a small difference in the male-female averages. I can probably find a reference if you want.

I'd be interested in a reference, thanks.

Ok. Not right now but I'll get it later.
Segundo

Print view this post

#44  Postby Emmeline » Apr 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Some stuff here from a British researcher:

Universally, men tend to score higher on certain specialized skills, such as spatial awareness. In the real world, that means they might be better at reading maps or navigating. Women score higher in terms of language development and emotional intelligence. But most experts agree there is no real, important overall difference when it comes to gender and intelligence.

What I study is "perceived intelligence," essentially how smart people think they are. I analyzed 30 international studies, and what I found was that women, across the world, tend to underplay their intelligence, while men overstate it.

So do most men think they're Albert Einstein?
There certainly is a greater male ego. It's what we call the male hubris and female humility effect. Men are more confident about their IQ. These studies show that on average, women underestimate their IQ scores by about five points while men overestimate their own IQs.

Although [men and women] are on average the same, the people at the very top and the very bottom of the IQ bell curve are more likely to be men. That is a pattern that we see in the university setting, with men either being at the very top of the class or at the bottom.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/101079
Emmeline

Print view this post

#45  Postby Emmeline » Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Here you go Segundo:

Gender differences are biological and not just cultural: the biological foundation for gender differences includes hormonal influences on the brain (Berger, 2003). These differences begin in the fetal stage of development, when the sex hormones begin to influence brain development, which continues to develop throughout childhood. These gender differences in brain maturation produces different overall development, such as the fact that infant girls tend to talk earlier than boys, and their language development continues to be more advanced than boys throughout early childhood (Fenson et al., 1994; Leaper, Anderson and Sanders, 1998).
http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/early ... icleID=414
Emmeline

Print view this post

#46  Postby Segundo » Apr 17, 2010 5:08 pm

That's interesting that females mature faster than males. A relationship between rate of maturity and intelligence has been found, so if females mature faster than males than we should expect the two groups to have different IQ averages - which would be in line with Lynn's finding.
Segundo

Print view this post

#47  Postby Emmeline » Apr 17, 2010 5:15 pm

I think you have to look at a meta analysis of IQ studies before you can say there's a definite pattern so I wouldn't put all your eggs in Lynn's basket. (You also have to agree what IQ is of course ;) )

EDIT: I note that some of Lynn's findings were based on a meta analysis he did but I don't know enough of the field to comment on its validity.
Emmeline

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Segundo » Apr 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Race differences in IQ by Richard Lynn, pages 216-218 (section 7).

Richard Lynn. Sex differences in brain size and intelligence: A Paradox Resolved. Personality and Individual Differences, 17, 257-271.

and by the same author, Sex differences in intelligence and brain size: a developmental theory. Intelligence, 27, 1-12.

Lynn and Irwing, P. Sex differences on the Progressive Matrices: a meta-analysis. Intelligence, 32, 481-498
Segundo

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education