Great site to teach kids computer coding.

Code.org

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Great site to teach kids computer coding.

#21  Postby BlackBart » Apr 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Anyway nobody programmes these days. Just buy in 3rd party software and off you go.

Er, yeah, that's basically the point. It's astounding how many IT 'professionals' can't actually code these days. Sites like this teach basic coding skills to the young, which in turn, enables them to grasp lower level computing concepts.

Lower levels are OOP. Coding like Basic is old hat. Very old hat.

Yeah, I quoted the second part of your post. That's basic as in 'fundamental concepts' not 'Basic All-puprose Symbolic Instruction code' , Scot. Hence lower case. I don't necessarily disagree that the Basic programming language is obsolete these days.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby BlackBart » Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Java is old hat as well.

Yeah, javascript is not java and is certainly not old hat. And as java is the syntax used by applications on the Android platform that's arguable too.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Scarlett wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:i run a coding club at our school (junior) and use scratch atm, which is another very accessible one...also got loads of projects that can be done on it....

Thanks for this, I'll check out the site you mentioned. :thumbup:

I hope you're not pity posting because Fall's new thread was more popular than mine? :snooty:

;)

of course not......i'll do anything to put her nose out of joint..... :grin:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Scarlett » Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:i run a coding club at our school (junior) and use scratch atm, which is another very accessible one...also got loads of projects that can be done on it....

I hope you're not pity posting because Fall's new thread was more popular than mine? :snooty:

;)

Ha! You and me both! :beercheers:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Emmeline » Apr 29, 2014 7:18 pm

@Scot, coding is fun to do & the simple stuff is a great place to start because it helps people understand how it all works. By the time primary kids now are adults, they will be using things that haven't even been invented yet so it's not about training them in future skills but more about showing them how they can create things now & developing an enthusiasm for technology, which will sustain them through all the developments still to come.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#26  Postby campermon » Apr 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Emmeline wrote:@Scot, coding is fun to do ...

Indeed.

Best summed up by these fellahs;

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scarlett » Apr 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Emmeline wrote:@Scot, coding is fun to do & the simple stuff is a great place to start because it helps people understand how it all works. By the time primary kids now are adults, they will be using things that haven't even been invented yet so it's not about training them in future skills but more about showing them how they can create things now & developing an enthusiasm for technology, which will sustain them through all the developments still to come.

:this:

As I said, Tia's 7, she's really enjoying it and between us and the wee tutorial videos it's linking what she's doing to things she can recognise. She wants to invent a game like Angry Birds now and make us millionaires! That'll do for me :smoke:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby BlackBart » Apr 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Scarlett wrote:
Emmeline wrote:@Scot, coding is fun to do & the simple stuff is a great place to start because it helps people understand how it all works. By the time primary kids now are adults, they will be using things that haven't even been invented yet so it's not about training them in future skills but more about showing them how they can create things now & developing an enthusiasm for technology, which will sustain them through all the developments still to come.

As I said, Tia's 7, she's really enjoying it and between us and the wee tutorial videos it's linking what she's doing to things she can recognise. She wants to invent a game like Angry Birds now and make us millionaires! That'll do for me :smoke:

If you've got an Android phone, this llink may be interesting...

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ - It uses blocks similar to scratch.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Scarlett wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:
Scarlett wrote:

;)

Ha! You and me both! :beercheers:

Him I can understand, I've been making his life hell for 20 years. But you - what have I ever done to you?? :waah:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scarlett » Apr 29, 2014 8:53 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Scarlett wrote:

If you've got an Android phone, this llink may be interesting...

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ - It uses blocks similar to scratch.

Great, thanks Bart. :cheers:

Fallible wrote:

Him I can understand, I've been making his life hell for 20 years. But you - what have I ever done to you?? :waah:

20 years? Fuck! US is a brave man indeed. :nono:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Imagination Theory » Aug 08, 2014 4:45 am

Ah, good, now children can experience the greatest frustration on earth, debugging. :lol:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)