help! my cousin is becoming a racist christian bigot

yeah

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: help! my cousin is becoming a racist christian bigot

#21  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 29, 2015 11:12 pm

trogs wrote:I suspect that hardly anyone here became an atheist by some other atheist family member "preaching" at us.

Time + curiosity/internet let us figure it out for ourselves.

I would suggest that you show him these videos of the atheist Christopher Hitchens demolishing theist Dinesh D'Souza with rational argument. Your cousin is a teenager looking for strong role models to identify with that are in opposition to his old country/family. He will probably plug into the vibe of a rational British guy dominating an irrational Indian Christian guy, and hopefully at least come out deciding to be an atheist, rather than a Christian.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ens+dinesh

This is a fantastic Idea, I shall try it, thank you. Maybe sometime later, I just dont know how much his mind is screwed, he simply does not trust me, so anything I show, he will assume as keeping him away from his dream
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby trogs » Jan 29, 2015 11:13 pm

:cheers:
trogs

Name: trogs
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 29, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I was speaking to a British Indian friend the other day and she said she used to know an Indian who refused to talk to any other Indians and would only hang out with white people. She suggested that it's something to do with self-hatred. I think the Christian thing is a red herring. Christian is just substitute for Western/American. But I don't know what to do about someone who hates their own culture. It might just be a teenager thing, but the person my friend was talking about was an adult. Refused to have any Indian friends on Facebook and everything.

yep, fits the picture perfectly, its all fine. That is not most of my problem, my problem is his sociopath like behavior, not caring about others and yet taking it for granted that his parents and me and many other Indians shall all just help him anyway. There is a sociopathic personality, we are mere steps for his wish fulfillment, some one to use and throw. He sees this in transnational terms, pay me money, his parents with money.

I am getting him to do metta, kind meditation practice, hopefully, it might do something, he doesnt like doing it. Lets see.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#24  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 29, 2015 11:23 pm

trogs wrote:Many white xenophiles feel that white people are bad, post pics of themselves with their non-white friend on their facebook, put "white people are privileged, I am better than other white people because I say so" videos in their forum signature, etc.

One can assume the attitude that there's something wrong with this. Or one can recognise that it's totally their choice. Maybe they genuinely, legitimately feel this loathing for the ethnic identity of their dad and mom. Maybe that's just 100% ok. So long as they don't force this attitude on others, I don't see any reason to try to "fix" xenophilia, any more than one should try to "fix" gayness, or taste in music*. Maybe it's just how your cousin feels.

* ok, some music is really bad.

be that as it may, its the sociopathic aspect thats repugnant . That he sees me as a mere thing to be used and someone he shall pay later with,ugh!. Spoit brat, parents should have brought him up better, he never had siblings or friends his age home to play with, only adults, so that aspect of sharing was never there. 1 child syndrome perhaps.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#25  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 29, 2015 11:25 pm

trogs wrote::cheers:

:cheers:
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#26  Postby cavarka9 » Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

He is royally screwed, he sees me as prejudiced. He has made up his mind. I wish him all the best, but he has to seek his own path for future without me.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Feb 25, 2015 3:19 pm

That sounds like the most sensible approach to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby trogs » Feb 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Prejudiced how?
trogs

Name: trogs
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby cavarka9 » Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm

trogs wrote:Prejudiced how?

Any attempt to question his view is a confirmation of my prejudice!. No different than his parents, I have never hated religion before, always felt it stupid, was even mildly sympathetic , not any more. Any thing that poisons the minds of children is evil!.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education