Is a secular education a form of child abuse?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Is a secular education a form of child abuse?

#1  Postby thedistillers » Mar 12, 2010 1:57 am

One of the outrageous claims made by some fundy atheists is that a religious education is a form of child abuse.

But all parents who educate their children share a set of values to their children regardless of their worldview! One could claim that a secular education is based on "reason" (unlike a religious education), but if there is no such Person as God, then there is no objective morality, purpose, or value. So according to what ojective standard are secular values reasonable? If God does not exist, then a parent could decide for example that we should live our life in the image of darwinian evolution, and kill the weak. Why would it be wrong?

It seems to me that if Christianity is true, then a secular education is a form of child abuse, for children are not being told the Good News, and are being educated according to a set of random values, based on worldview with no objective morality, purpose or value.
You might as well kill yourself. You're already dead. Marilyn Manson.
thedistillers
Banned User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Is a secular education a form of child abuse?

#2  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 12, 2010 1:59 am

Why don't you take a little walk over to the other threads you started and answer the remaining questions before you move on to a new one, m'kay?
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 12, 2010 2:04 am

mmmcheezy wrote:Why don't you take a little walk over to the other threads you started and answer the remaining questions before you move on to a new one, m'kay?

Good answer. Bsides the thread flopped at the end of the OP post anyway when he said, "If Christianity is true..."
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby I D of E S » Mar 12, 2010 2:06 am

thedistillers wrote:One of the outrageous claims made by some fundy atheists is that a religious education is a form of child abuse.

But all parents who educate their children share a set of values to their children regardless of their worldview! One could claim that a secular education is based on "reason" (unlike a religious education), but if there is no such Person as God, then there is no objective morality, purpose, or value. So according to what ojective standard are secular values reasonable? If God does not exist, then a parent could decide for example that we should live our life in the image of darwinian evolution, and kill the weak. Why would it be wrong?

It seems to me that if Christianity is true, then a secular education is a form of child abuse, for children are not being told the Good News, and are being educated according to a set of random values, based on worldview with no objective morality, purpose or value.

What a complete load of shite. Oh and the bastardisation of evolution or any other scientific theory will go down very badly here.
I D of E S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Mar 12, 2010 2:08 am

Well, obviously a secular education isn't a form of child abuse. Which secular class do you think could be?

English?
Maths?
P.E.?
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby xsmooth_criminalx » Mar 12, 2010 2:09 am

Thommo wrote:Well, obviously a secular education isn't a form of child abuse. Which secular class do you think could be?

English?
Maths?
P.E.?

lol no, actually, it's lunch!!!! That terrible unblessed food could have little green demons inside of it for all he knows :lol:
You've been HIT by, you've been STRUCK by, a Smooth Criminal~
xsmooth_criminalx

Name: Christelle
Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#7  Postby thedistillers » Mar 12, 2010 2:11 am

I D of E S wrote:
thedistillers wrote:One of the outrageous claims made by some fundy atheists is that a religious education is a form of child abuse.

What a complete load of shite. Oh and the bastardisation of evolution or any other scientific theory will go down very badly here.

Well tell me, if atheism is true (ie, if there is no such Person as God), how do you distinguish between a good parent and a bad parent? According to what standard is it wrong to beat your children, if a secular education is based on the "what doesn't kill you make you stronger" point of view?
thedistillers
Banned User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Viraldi » Mar 12, 2010 2:12 am

Thommo wrote:Well, obviously a secular education isn't a form of child abuse. Which secular class do you think could be?

I have a feeling he's troubled in science classes without the mention of any deity intervening.
Last edited by Viraldi on Mar 12, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#9  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 12, 2010 2:12 am

thedistillers wrote:
I D of E S wrote:

Well tell me, if atheism is true (ie, if there is no such Person as God), how do you distinguish between a good parent and a bad parent? According to what standard is it wrong to beat your children, if a secular education is based the "what doesn't kill you make you stronger" point of view?

ATHEISM IS NOT EITHER TRUE/FALSE. IT IS MERELY A STATEMENT THAT ONE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN GODS. IT IS NOT A POSITIVE STATEMENT THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST.
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby thedistillers » Mar 12, 2010 2:13 am

mmmcheezy wrote:
thedistillers wrote:
I D of E S wrote:

Well tell me, if atheism is true (ie, if there is no such Person as God), how do you distinguish between a good parent and a bad parent? According to what standard is it wrong to beat your children, if a secular education is based the "what doesn't kill you make you stronger" point of view?

ATHEISM IS NOT EITHER TRUE/FALSE. IT IS MERELY A STATEMENT THAT ONE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN GODS. IT IS NOT A POSITIVE STATEMENT THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST.
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

How about you answer my comment?
thedistillers
Banned User

Print view this post

#11  Postby RichardPrins » Mar 12, 2010 2:14 am

A secular (=worldly) education would teach kids things such as language, math, geography, history, etc. as opposed to religious indoctrination which teaches them they are depraved sinners who need snake oil for redemption.
RichardPrins

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#12  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am

thedistillers wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
thedistillers wrote:
I D of E S wrote:

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

I can't, because a load of utter shit.
You made a false statement in your question, and I can't answer it without giving credence to your bullshit.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Dracena » Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am

mmmcheezy wrote:Why don't you take a little walk over to the other threads you started and answer the remaining questions before you move on to a new one, m'kay?

Second that.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Viraldi » Mar 12, 2010 2:16 am

thedistillers wrote:How about you answer my comment?

Have you stopped beating your children yet?
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sciwoman » Mar 12, 2010 2:21 am

RichardPrins wrote:A secular (=worldly) education would teach kids things such as language, math, geography, etc. as opposed to religious indoctrination which teaches them they are depraved sinners who need snake oil for redemption.

Exactly, RP. If a parent is so interested that a child learn about religion, why can't they teach the child about it or let their place of worship set up classes? Maybe they could call it Sunday School?
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby thedistillers » Mar 12, 2010 2:21 am

Dracena wrote:

Second that.

Well, my "Why do atheists trust science?" thread was hijacked by a muslim friend.
thedistillers
Banned User

Print view this post

#17  Postby Aught3 » Mar 12, 2010 2:21 am

Making two big assumptions, that Christianity is true and we have good reasons to believe, I would still be extremely hesitant to teach children the evil and wicked preachments that form part of the Christian doctrine. Furthermore, as the Christian position is that those who have not heard the good news are not held accountable for their lack of belief the most moral position would be to keep quiet about it and let God reveal himself to the children as he so chooses.

So the answer to your question is no, a secular education is not a form of child abuse.
League of Reason: Freethinkers, unite!
Aught3

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 12, 2010 2:22 am

thedistillers wrote:
Dracena wrote:

Second that.

Well, my "Why do atheists trust science?" thread was hijacked by a muslim friend.

Feel free to wander back in. Just because someone else has started posting in it doesn't mean you can't.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby I D of E S » Mar 12, 2010 2:22 am

thedistillers wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
thedistillers wrote:
I D of E S wrote:

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

it directly addresses your spurious claim that atheism is a truth statement, it is NOT. Why is this so fucking difficult for you to understand!

agnosticism = holding the philosophical potion that absolute knowledge is unobtainable.
theism = belief in god
a = without
a + theism = without belief in god

thus atheism is an absence of belief NOT a belief in absence.

And name one fucking person that says a secular education is based on "what doesn't kill you make you stronger"? Oh and I want a citation for that.
Last edited by I D of E S on Mar 12, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I D of E S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Dracena » Mar 12, 2010 2:24 am

thedistillers wrote:
Dracena wrote:

Second that.

Pathetic answer, people have asked you questions and you , instead of answering them, start a new thread. Nobody can hijack a thread, it is there for you to read and ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT YOU ASKED FOR BY STARTING THE THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE!
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education