Just had an incident of bullying

Tips/advice wanted

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Just had an incident of bullying

#21  Postby Ironclad » Nov 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
laklak wrote:6 of the best, that will sort them.

:?

I probably wouldn't go that far. But, I would relieve them of some of their leisure time.

I don't get what laklak means to say?
6 of the best what?

6 lashes of the belt (across the arse)
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I don't get what laklak means to say?
6 of the best what?

It's a phrase associated with corporal punishment in British schools: "six of the best".

ETA: ninja'd
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:If you read carefully, I asked the student who else was involved and he would not say.
I said, that, until he does tell who else was involved, he's the only one I know who was and therefore the only one who'd be punished.

Punishing someone for doing the right thing? :roll:
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Ironclad » Nov 24, 2015 9:03 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:I don't get what laklak means to say?
6 of the best what?

It's a phrase associated with corporal punishment in British schools: "six of the best".

ETA: ninja'd

But with links! LINKS! :naughty2:
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:If you read carefully, I asked the student who else was involved and he would not say.
I said, that, until he does tell who else was involved, he's the only one I know who was and therefore the only one who'd be punished.

I don't know in what weird kind of education system you grew up, but covering up for bad behaviour of fellow classmates, especially after admitting knowledge, does not constitute 'doing the right thing' over here.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby crank » Nov 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
crank wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how is it that more than one person is involved? Person X hides books, even if others express approval in some way, they are not 'involved' to any real extent.

The person who returned the books said someone else gave them to him, which means at least two people are involved.
Add to that the fact that people around surely noticed this happening, they're complicit in not telling me who did it when I asked them to tell me, nor where the books were hidden when I demanded they be returned to their owner.

crank wrote: I think you need to find out what it's like generally for the kids there. How common is bullying, how brutal can it get? Hiding someone's books is rather tame.

Not if it's part of a larger set of 'pranks' and other forms of bullying.
And not when the person who owns the books gets visibly upset and the teacher asks you to return the books.

crank wrote: If bullying is a problem there, it won't stop without a concerted effort by the whole school.

That's why I want to talk their form tutor.

"someone handed them to him" doesn't make sense, maybe I'm missing something, weren't you observing the retrieval? If he's saying someone handed them to him and he went and hid them, that is a lie, and still means he did it. I think demanding students to rat out another one, especially in front of everyone, is not at all a good thing to do, it surely isn't realistic. You're authority, students who would rat out another will never be decent skeptics, such behavior should not be encouraged. This wouldn't apply for something truly serious, most bullying hopefully doesn't go anywhere near far enough. Do you really want a bunch of busybody students looking for their classmates to defy the rules so they can run and tell? That's a poisonous atmosphere.

If it's part of a larger pattern, that's what I meant about finding out about bullying in general at the school. You need to know the victim too, some people get visibly upset over trifles, Kids need room to be kids, don't even think about going down the road of 'zero tolerance', we're seeing how horrible the results can be with such attitudes.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#27  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 24, 2015 9:23 pm

however, honesty should be recognised...to me, his 'punishment', whatever that may be, should be less significant than that received by the others...not sure i agree with the 'buck stops here' approach to that one person but then it may be different in secondaries...
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

I don't know in what weird kind of education system you grew up, but covering up for bad behaviour of fellow classmates, especially after admitting knowledge, does not constitute 'doing the right thing' over here.

Perhaps it escaped your notice that the ENTIRE CLASS is covering up for bad behaviour?

So why single out for punishment the only person who did the right thing by returning the stolen items?

It is also unreasonable of you to expect the pupil who returned the items to rat out his classmates. You might as well get your branding iron out and sear the word GRASS into his forehead.

A correct course of action would be to punish the classmembers who didn't return the books, ie all of them except this one.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Sendraks » Nov 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:It is also unreasonable of you to expect the pupil who returned the items to rat out his classmates. You might as well get your branding iron out and sear the word GRASS into his forehead.

Thank you British education circa 1980s for your input.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 24, 2015 9:57 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:however, honesty should be recognised...to me, his 'punishment', whatever that may be, should be less significant than that received by the others...not sure i agree with the 'buck stops here' approach to that one person but then it may be different in secondaries...

Nah. By leaning on the kid who did the bullying, it fractures the group of bullies. Plays them against each other. Make them realize that game doesn't play here.

I've been thinking about this for a while this morning. I'm imagining all sort of bleats for due process, blah, blah. A public school is not a place that is required to practice democracy. There is no "right" to remain within that public school, or to graduate from it. Ejection from a class which is required to graduate will have a serious consequence, as it should.

No way I would suffer a bully to remain in my classroom and pick on another kid while hiding behind anonymity. These punk-ass kids need to learn how that works.

They are bullying that other kid because they can get away with it. There is no consequence. Changing that is trivial.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:It is also unreasonable of you to expect the pupil who returned the items to rat out his classmates. You might as well get your branding iron out and sear the word GRASS into his forehead.

I'm afraid I don't know what "grass" is in Dutch.

Also, 1990s. Not that things are any different now.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#32  Postby quas » Nov 25, 2015 4:52 am

This is the correct solution.

Ironclad wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
:?

I probably wouldn't go that far. But, I would relieve them of some of their leisure time.

6 of the best what?

Not belt. Cane. Preferably the type used in Singapore and Malaysia prisons. The ultra-thick rattan types that actually breaks skin and renders the recipient unable to sit on the his/her* ass for months, and requires a doctor to check on the recipient and verify that the recipient can survive the next stroke.

*In reality, this sort of caning is almost never practiced on females, but I think women should have equal rights.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#33  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2015 5:15 am

crank wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
crank wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how is it that more than one person is involved? Person X hides books, even if others express approval in some way, they are not 'involved' to any real extent.

The person who returned the books said someone else gave them to him, which means at least two people are involved.
Add to that the fact that people around surely noticed this happening, they're complicit in not telling me who did it when I asked them to tell me, nor where the books were hidden when I demanded they be returned to their owner.

crank wrote: I think you need to find out what it's like generally for the kids there. How common is bullying, how brutal can it get? Hiding someone's books is rather tame.

Not if it's part of a larger set of 'pranks' and other forms of bullying.
And not when the person who owns the books gets visibly upset and the teacher asks you to return the books.

crank wrote: If bullying is a problem there, it won't stop without a concerted effort by the whole school.

That's why I want to talk their form tutor.

"someone handed them to him" doesn't make sense, maybe I'm missing something, weren't you observing the retrieval? If he's saying someone handed them to him and he went and hid them, that is a lie, and still means he did it.

He meant that he did not take the books from the victims bag.
Someone else gave them to him and he apparently hid them.

crank wrote: I think demanding students to rat out another one, especially in front of everyone, is not at all a good thing to do, it surely isn't realistic.

This behaviour is completely unacceptable, covering up for your fellow classmates only makes it worse.
I'm perfectly aware that most students won't fess up. But the reality of the situation remains that the only person I know is involved at this time, is the student who retrieved the books.
So unless he tells who else is involved or someone else confesses, he's the only one who will receive the consequences.

crank wrote: You're authority, students who would rat out another will never be decent skeptics, such behavior should not be encouraged.

This a non-sequitur.
The asinine notion of not being a grasser is ludicrous in the extreme.
I'll use the same example I used with the student: if someone hands you stolen goods, you'll also take the full punishment if you don't tell who stole them in the first place.

crank wrote: This wouldn't apply for something truly serious, most bullying hopefully doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

I think you seriously underestimate:
A. How quickly bullying can get out of hand.
and
B. How damaging bullying can be, psychologically, especially for teenagers.
Things that might seem harmless or lame to you are not to teenagers, especially when they can be part of a larger collection of systematic bullying.

crank wrote: Do you really want a bunch of busybody students looking for their classmates to defy the rules so they can run and tell? That's a poisonous atmosphere.

No, I want people who, in a group, bully someone to fess up who else is involved, especially when they've just admitted other people 'made them do it'.

crank wrote:If it's part of a larger pattern, that's what I meant about finding out about bullying in general at the school. You need to know the victim too, some people get visibly upset over trifles, Kids need room to be kids, don't even think about going down the road of 'zero tolerance', we're seeing how horrible the results can be with such attitudes.

And we've also seen how horrible the results can be with a 'bullying is part of being kids' mentality.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2015 5:16 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know what "grass" is in Dutch.

I know what it means and it's asinine notion.

Strontium Dog wrote:Also, 1990s. Not that things are any different now.

Correct it was horseshit then as it is horseshit now.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2015 5:19 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Perhaps it escaped your notice that the ENTIRE CLASS is covering up for bad behaviour?

I'll kindly ask you once to not derail this thread with your insipid trolling.

Strontium Dog wrote:So why single out for punishment the only person who did the right thing by returning the stolen items?

Because I'm not singling him out, he's singled himself out, by admitting he hid the books, ie was involved and added to that not admitting who else was involved.

Strontium Dog wrote:
It is also unreasonable of you to expect the pupil who returned the items to rat out his classmates. You might as well get your branding iron out and sear the word GRASS into his forehead.

It's got fuck all to do with what can be expected from children. They still need to learn how to behave.
It's also not a reasonable expectations to expect pupils to never misbehave, doesn't mean they don't get corrected and/or punished for it.

Strontium Dog wrote:
A correct course of action would be to punish the classmembers who didn't return the books, ie all of them except this one.

Horseshit.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 25, 2015 9:22 am

If most of the class are into it, I doubt there is much you can do.
Put your foot down hard and be aware that it might continnue after a brief pause.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Horseshit.

Yeah, because youths can be kinda stupid and those who might actually not have noticed who took the books are prone to blame the victim "for getting them into detention" and then all of the class are up against him.

Might already be the case though, some kids are bullying magnets.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Nov 25, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:If most of the class are into it, I doubt there is much you can do.

Thats unclear at the moment.
It seems more than one person is involved, both in the incident and the general bullying. But whether its most people in the class is not clear.

Put your foot down hard and be aware that it might continnue after a brief pause.

Dont worry I wont tolerate such behaviour in the slightest.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Horseshit.

Yeah, because youths can be kinda stupid and those who might actually not have noticed who took the books are prone to blame the victim "for getting then into detention" and then all of the class are up against him.

This and people who were completely oblivious are innocent anyway.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 25, 2015 9:52 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

So why single out for punishment the only person who did the right thing by returning the stolen items?

Shut the fuck up, you moron.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#39  Postby Fallible » Nov 25, 2015 10:22 am

quas wrote:

This is the correct solution.

Ironclad wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

6 of the best what?

Not belt. Cane. Preferably the type used in Singapore and Malaysia prisons. The ultra-thick rattan types that actually breaks skin and renders the recipient unable to sit on the his/her* ass for months, and requires a doctor to check on the recipient and verify that the recipient can survive the next stroke.

*In reality, this sort of caning is almost never practiced on females, but I think women should have equal rights.

:lol: Wow, OK. That's special.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 25, 2015 10:28 am

makes me wonder if Darwinsbulldog replied to the wrong post.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education