Limiting screen time ?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Limiting screen time ?

#21  Postby tuco » Jun 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Ok, Macdoc, next time please define terms more clearly as we .. dunno what the OP is about. Cant debate. Sorry mate.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby felltoearth » Jun 05, 2017 11:55 pm

The problem isn't macdoc's, it's the original report. Do keep up.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Weaver » Jun 06, 2017 12:20 am

felltoearth wrote:The problem isn't macdoc's, it's the original report. Do keep up.

Not to mention it's specified in a quotation tuco himself posted - only to make another post claiming that it isn't known.

Trolling is getting old.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby tuco » Jun 06, 2017 12:25 am

I was not claiming it is not known. I got persuaded by excellent argument by felltoearth who was claiming it.

If you want to label my sarcasm and irony directed at various weak to idiotic posts as trolling, I guess it evokes emotional reaction in you .. oh wait that is sarcasm and irony by definition, feel free. It leaves me unconcerned as I am not only intellectually honest but my logic is so brilliant that I do understand its not very comfortable to be left without meaningful reply.
tuco

Print view this post

#25  Postby felltoearth » Jun 06, 2017 12:49 am

tuco wrote:I was not claiming it is not known. I got persuaded by excellent argument by felltoearth who was claiming it.

If you want to label my sarcasm and irony directed at various weak to idiotic posts as trolling, I guess it evokes emotional reaction in you .. oh wait that is sarcasm and irony by definition, feel free. It leaves me unconcerned as I am not only intellectually honest but my logic is so brilliant that I do understand its not very comfortable to be left without meaningful reply.

What was my claim?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Jun 06, 2017 6:59 am

jamest wrote:I'm old enough to have been around when kids only got about an hour or two screen time, after school, with a choice of about three channels. That's when the kids' programmes were on and we had our dinner, or tea as we called it in Manchester (which is not the case in many other parts of the country). Oh, I remember Saturday mornings being good too for kids' tv, though somehow me and my friends befriended an elderly sofa maker whose decrepit sofa workshop was at the end of our street. It wouldn't happen these days but on Saturday mornings he used to let us trampoline all over his sponge-material or else play snooker on a small table down near the entrance. So we often gave tv the elbow and visited him anyway on a Saturday. Regardless, in my time we were mostly engaged with the world and directly with people, mostly playing outside, mostly active. This was before computers came out of course. So, the obvious point to make is that kids now (generally speaking) aren't nearly as active as kids were back in my day. I think we've yet to see the long-term effects of kids sitting around for a large chunk of the day staring at a screen (not least for their eyesight!), but it seems obvious to me that from a physical perspective there might be significant repercussions for the kids of our time. Of course kids [generally] have better food diets and medical care than we did, in this country at least, so maybe that will balance things out a bit, but I can't help but view a sedentary lifestyle in a negative sense.

That's my primary reason of concern. I don't worry so much (rightly or wrongly) about the weirdos who might try to take advantage of our kids in forums or facebook, etc., probably because my 10 year-old daughter is still immature and doesn't appear to engage in that stuff (I do the occasional check). But mental/psychological health does concern me. I mean, firstly, what are the effects of a sedentary lifestyle upon the physical development of a child's brain? Secondly, what are the psychological effects of being stuck in a small enclosed space for hours at a time, by yourself, just engaged with your phone/laptop/x-box, not engaged with the world or directly with people? I mean, aren't prison cells supposed to be a deterrent, if you get my drift? I don't even understand why an energetic healthy child would choose that kind of social space as their favourite abode, but I suppose many of them wouldn't know any better, having [probably] received a console/phone/ipad for Xmas long before they entered puberty.

This is why, with all due respect to Fallible, I reject her claim that there should be no masters in the house. Kids are neither educated nor experienced enough to know what's right for them. And with that in mind I think that a parent does have a responsibility to steer their kids in the right direction regards limiting their screen time. At least, I believe that if they have the kind of kids who have a tendency to want to be in front of a screen for most of their spare time. My step-daughter who is 15 is like that. I do worry about her and nag her regularly about it. But I guess the jury's still out on the matter.

Well, you reject it because you extrapolate from it something which was not intended. It is not my position that kids should have no guidance or boundaries. As I said, in general one should be explaining to children the dangers in the world and what is helpful and harmful to them all the time anyway. A master says 'do what I say because I'm in charge', a parent has an ongoing dialogue with the kids which explains why certain things are conducive or not to a well rounded life. It's been my experience that once they get beyond toddlerhood, kids are generally able to engage well with language and explanations, and when they don't, allowing them to experience the consequences of their choices in a controlled way often gets the point across when words don't. So if I tell a kid that if they eat all the Easter eggs they'll get sick and they don't heed that, I would then just sit back and wait. They're going to get the collywobbles and then whine to me about it, at which point I can annoyingly point out that I told them this would happen.

With regards to screen time, we've always been a tech savvy household. We had the computer in the main room until we knew our kid was thoroughly schooled in the workings of the internet and how to keep herself safe on it. By the time she began asking for her own computer, we were confident, based on how she had developed as a person and the discussions we had had with her about safety in general, that she was responsible enough. I've also found it important with regard to online safety to encourage a relationship where a kid knows they can talk to you about everything, no matter what it is. Being a master in this situation won't work, because a kid won't want to come clean about anything if they know they're going to get the hairdryer treatment.

As a teenager now she does spend a lot of time in her room on the comouter or games console - the only difference in behaviour from the behaviour of teenagers since at least the 1950s is the computer and console, by which I mean that teenagers have always spent large chunks of their time in their bedrooms in the dark. I happen to think that the benefits are often overlooked in our keenness to be all 'won't somebody think of the children'. A lot of the time she's up there, she's not in splendid isolation at all; she's chatting with her friends via messenger. She actually has far more communication with her mates than I ever did; I was reliant on my dad being willing to drive me to someone's house, and have fond memories of constantly being told to get off the phone because of the bill. She finds console games to be a great stress reliever in the midst of her GCSEs, but she knows that if she chooses to play them instead of revising, she's risking not achieving what she is capable of. We haven't been limiiting her screen time. She's fully aware of what can happen. We trust in her basic common sense which comes from the way we have raised her over the years. There's no point coming over all draconian about it now. We made a choice about how we were going to bring her up. We thought it would be the best way, since we wanted a child who has experienced fairness and respect, and has learned to think for herself in her own best jnterests. So far it's proved effective, but I guess we'll see, eh.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Jun 07, 2017 2:47 pm

And the best part is they're up in their rooms. Not seen and not heard, that's my parenting philosophy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Fallible » Jun 07, 2017 3:12 pm

:)
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby UncertainSloth » Jun 07, 2017 5:35 pm

laklak wrote:And the best part is they're up in their rooms. Not seen and not heard, that's my parenting philosophy.

amen to that.....
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby tuco » Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Its comfortable, innit.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education