Looking for a good Music Technology UK degree course

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Looking for a good Music Technology UK degree course

#1  Postby Bubalus » Apr 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi,

My eldest son is looking to study Music Technology after 'A' levels.

Does anyone know of a good Music tech course at a UK university?

I have tried the normal uni reviews, but music tech does not appear to be mentioned.

Thanks in advance.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Looking for a good Music Technology UK degree course

#2  Postby Beatsong » Apr 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Everyone I know who has any experience of such things says the Tonmeister course at Surrey is far and away the best, and the majority of people actually working in the business went there. After that, I've heard some good things about LIPA. After that, you're pretty quickly into get-pissed-a-lot-and-waste-three-years territory.

Why does your son want to study music technology? There are almost no jobs any more, since most studios bar the very biggest have closed due to the changing nature of the industry, and those that there are are dreadfully low paid.

Is he good at science and interested in it? Most of the people I know who actually make a living in music tech have serious scientific backgrounds of one kind or another, and are just as happy taking a compressor apart or soldering a bunch of XLR leads as they are mixing the next pop sensation. Several did electrical engineering at uni, then drifted into music tech by combining it with doing what they loved. They are the ones who can always make a living, one way or another.

Just a thought... Be careful, as there are an awful lot of institutions just trying to get bums on seats by taking students they really shouldn't, and giving them three years' indulgence twiddling knobs in preparation for an industry that barely exists.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Looking for a good Music Technology UK degree course

#3  Postby Bubalus » Apr 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks, I'll research them further.

He has decided that it is a better option than performance, and will at least give him a skill that he can use.

I have my doubts, but am trying to find the best opportunity for him.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education