Need Your Help with a Lesson

on religion

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Need Your Help with a Lesson

#1  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 17, 2015 5:07 am

Hi everyone. I've gotta plan a lesson on religion for my English class (15-17 year old, intermediate level), and I'm looking for some resources to use for listening and/or reading practice. Ideally, I want to cover Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism in one lesson, and get the students to explore the similarities and differences between them and learn a bit of the basic vocabulary for religion as they go (heaven, god, temple, worship, etc). Chances are they'll know very little about most of the religions, so it doesn't matter if it's pretty basic.

The ideal thing I'm looking for would be a video where a teenager basically tells you about their religion, the beliefs, the every day practices, etc. So if anyone knows anything like that on Youtube, let me know. Also anything written that might be interesting or fun for them.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Need Your Help with a Lesson

#2  Postby laklak » Jun 17, 2015 2:46 pm

Just video a selection of dogs shitting in the street. Give each dog a name, like "Christian", "Muslim", etc.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm

This could be an introduction (not the dogs shitting in the street :lol: ) to atheism, since Buddha himself posited that there was no deity. Although you wouldn't think so looking at some of today's Buddhist worshippers... :?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I'd frame the discussion in terms of the core assertions each religion presents, and then showing how many of those core assertions have features in common.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jun 19, 2015 2:10 pm

I like Cali's approach. For example - Christians go to a "church", Muslims go to a "mosque", Jews and Hindus go to a "temple", atheists go to a "pub".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Hmmm! The Pub of the Holy Sepulchre... :think:

But, yes. List the similarities: versions of Heaven & Hell (the 'afterlife' nonsense), places and styles of worship and the different names, deities and their alleged powers, mono- and multi-theism and atheism (Buddhist), numbers of different sects or sub-divisions of each religion and the reasons why these sub-divisions exist. The list could be endless...

But, how long is this presentation expected to last? Will it be a series of lessons? Because to do it justice you might need more than one session.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 19, 2015 11:58 pm

Just say that human beings are subject to severe mental illnesses and the psychological sciences are too full of shit to realize that religion is just group insanity.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 20, 2015 9:16 am

Calilasseia wrote:I'd frame the discussion in terms of the core assertions each religion presents, and then showing how many of those core assertions have features in common.

Yeah, I've currently got a table with the four major religions on it, and categories down the side, such as "place of worship, holidays, religious practices, noun for a person, key figures, god, afterlife, etc." The plan atm (since I can't find any videos that aren't either preaching or slagging off religion) is that each group will read about a different religion, make notes that summarize it and then tell this information to the other groups who will use it to fill in their table. I just don't have any decent texts to use yet. I just need a decent impartial website that has summaries of each religion. The BBC have it, but each religion is split into loads of sections.

Just to be clear, it's not my job to teach them about the religions, it's to give them the language to talk about religions and religious belief in general.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 20, 2015 9:42 am

Alan B wrote:But, how long is this presentation expected to last? Will it be a series of lessons? Because to do it justice you might need more than one session.

It's not a presentation. Ideally, I should be saying very little. It could be a reading/listening and speaking lesson. The aim will be that they can talk about the beliefs and practices of different religions, or their own beliefs. The important thing isn't that they learn about these different religions, it's that they learn the phrases and vocab they can use to talk about any religion.

It's actually a series of 8 lessons on the topic of diversity. So I've already done one about disability, women's rights and non-traditional families. But yeah, I only have one lesson for it, although obviously I can revise some of the language throughout the course.

My crowning achievement so far was being able to shoehorn this video into the lesson.

Anyway, I've just found this, which seems to be a bit better than the normal BBC page.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » Jun 21, 2015 10:11 am

The Pub of the Holy Sepulchre.

Holy Hitch?

On the OP, a brief discussion of the history and anthropology of religion, and how what we have now have evolved?

Schmidt's view is that Göbekli Tepe is a stone-age mountain sanctuary. Radiocarbon dating as well as comparative, stylistic analysis indicate that it is the oldest religious site yet discovered anywhere.[8][33] Schmidt believed that what he called this "cathedral on a hill" was a pilgrimage destination attracting worshippers up to 100 miles (160 km) distant. Butchered bones found in large numbers from local game such as deer, gazelle, pigs, and geese have been identified as refuse from food hunted and cooked or otherwise prepared for the congregants.[34]

Schmidt considered Göbekli Tepe a central location for a cult of the dead and that the carved animals are there to protect the dead. Though no tombs or graves have been found so far, Schmidt believed that they remain to be discovered in niches located behind the sacred circles' walls.[8] Schmidt also interpreted it in connection with the initial stages of the Neolithic. It is one of several sites in the vicinity of Karaca Dağ, an area which geneticists suspect may have been the original source of at least some of our cultivated grains (see Einkorn). Recent DNA analysis of modern domesticated wheat compared with wild wheat has shown that its DNA is closest in sequence to wild wheat found on Mount Karaca Dağ 20 miles (32 km) away from the site, suggesting that this is where modern wheat was first domesticated.[35]

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Göbekli_Tepe
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education