New fundamentalist faith school in UK

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

New fundamentalist faith school in UK

#1  Postby Simon_Gardner » Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am

BBC wrote:Hull parents warned over ‘fundamentalist’ faith school

The school will follow a curriculum promoting the literal truth of the Bible

Parents have been warned that a private faith school set to open in Hull this year could “indoctrinate” children with “fundamentalist” Christian teaching.

The £2,000-a-year New Life Academy is due to open in Bridlington Avenue in the west of the city this September.

Senior minister Reverend Jarrod Cooper said it would offer “individualised” Christian learning to allow pupils to develop at their own pace.

Opponents say children will be isolated and taught the Bible is literally true.

The school will follow the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum formulated by an educational products company in the US.

ACE lists its principles in a “statement of faith” which includes a belief that the Bible is literally true.

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, said: “You do not have to look far on the internet to find people who describe themselves as survivors of ACE education because it is an indoctrination style of work.

“It is tutoring with a very strong biblical flavour that dominates everything.

“A lot of people who have been through this system are saying it stopped them from being able to think for themselves.

“They learn things by rote, not by inquiry and exploration.

‘Quite fundamentalist’

“The children are kept separate from each other in what they call cubes; they are not allowed to talk to each other. The tutors come along and help them learn long passages from the Bible by rote.

“I fear for these really deeply religious schools because this is a school which is run by a church which is actually quite fundamentalist.

”They can make their own religious education and it can be anything, it can include creationism and literal belief in Genesis and all this kind of thing.

“I don’t think it’s fair on children to saddle them with that and then discourage them from questioning it at all.

“Any parent who is thinking of going to this school should think and ask questions about this system before they commit themselves to it.”

Mr Cooper said: “We are using the ACE curriculum which is a kind of individualised Christian learning.

“You need to forget the lecture/classroom type of environment where the teacher is teaching 20, 30, 40 pupils and whether they have all got the subject or not the class is moving on.

“This is an individualised learning so every child has their own learning station and learns at their own pace.”

He said he had visited similar schools in Europe and South Africa and “noticed they were raising quite a good calibre of child”.

Asked how the school would approach the teaching of science, and evolution in particular, he said: “A lot of people think Christians spend all their time thinking about a seven-day creation; they really don’t.

“It is not a main part of the church’s everyday thinking.”

On sex education, he said: “A lot of people want basic good morality taught and marriage being the bedrock of society, but not in any indoctrinating way.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8547419.stm
Last edited by Simon_Gardner on Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: New fundamentalist faith school in UK

#2  Postby Jain » Mar 04, 2010 11:26 am

I can't believe this is going to happen. It won't be long before other area's in the uk start doing this too. Its so sad.
My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Emmeline » Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

There are already quite a few private fundy schools in the UK. Do you remember that Channel 4 Dispatches programme - we had a long thread about it on RDF. At least it showed them up for what they are.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Mar 04, 2010 11:30 am

Schools are for education, not indoctrination. Close 'em down.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Jain » Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am

I Agree they should be closed. We have a faith academy here where i live. I am not sure if their way of teaching is the same but to teach kids individually in this way is not only segregating them but also a fantastic way to brainwash. Terrible.
How can children learn to interact in teams when they are taught individually with no group discussion?

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Darn - someone got there before me! :mrgreen:

This story has got a lot of coverage in this area. Look North for East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire had a report about it on last night's show, and the tension in the room between me and my mother was... erm... noticeable! ;)

Earlier today, I sent an e-mail to the programme, which I am happy to share below:

I would be interested to know from Jarrod Cooper how he intends to instruct his pupils to respond should one of them ever meet a pupil from another Saudi-funded faith-based school, the King Fahad Academy, who has learned from his school's textbooks to believe that Judaism and Christianity are 'worthless' religions and that followers of Judaism are 'repugnant' and Christians are 'pigs'?

Seeing the report on Look North last night left me feeling disturbed that children are told through their workbooks that 'God' loves them etc... as if it were a certainty that their god exists. They are effectively told to uncritically accept a book filled with unsupported assertions and contradictions throughout. That's surely going to result in these pupils needing to do all manner of mental contortions in order to defend their Biblical literalism to the world once they're outside the school gates.

They're being prevented from developing the art of critical thinking through being forced to wear a straightjacket of blind faith. And just because they're educated in such a controlled environment, it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll have this mindset in adulthood. Read through the near-1000 contributions to the 'Convert's Corner' page on the official Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science and you'll discover that many, many people have become atheists after being raised in a strict religious household during their childhood.

There is no good evidence to suggest that religious followers are any more moral than humanists and atheists. A good example of this 'moral delusion' can be shown no more graphically than the numerous stories of religious leaders who abuse children and altar boys, who they are supposed to safeguard, and clerics that tell chldren they'll suffer eternal torment if they do not think as they do...

Who benefits most from all this? Not society but clergy, who are desperate to secure a new generation of followers (and loyal financiers) before they're old enough to make reasoned decisions about who they are and what they really believe. They need these followers to be kept in employment.

The more I think about this, the angrier I become!

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Jumbo » Mar 04, 2010 1:14 pm

There are already quite a few private fundy schools in the UK. Do you remember that Channel 4 Dispatches programme - we had a long thread about it on RDF. At least it showed them up for what they are.

I do indeed. They were also using materials related to ACE.

The ACE science curriculum has the following objectives (From the aceministries website):
OBJECTIVES

* To make the study of science practical in everyday life
* To teach that God had a purpose and design in Creation
* To present science from a biblical perspective
* To teach each student that God is personally concerned with individuals and that He has a plan for each individual life
* To present men of science who view Creation from God's point of view

Point 1 sounds fair enough the rest though is bilge.

What is the content of their modules?
How about Science Levels 1-8? Highlights include:
Grade Level 1

This course material presents young students with the facts of Creation as presented in the Bible.

Grade Level 2

This level sets forth the days of Creation and what was created on each day. It also demonstrates how various plants and animals function in today's world. It reveals God's original instructions to man and the consequences of man's violation of those instructions.

Grade Level 3

An explanation of God's world from a biblical perspective finds students becoming familiar with the life cycles of animals and plants.

In between you have some more normal stuff but then:
Grade Level 8

These earth science PACEs introduce specific areas of study such as astronomy, volcanology, topography, oceanography, meteorology, and mineralogy with proofs of the Creation. Students learn about the perfection of God's design for the universe.

Im hardly surprised given high school age kids can take an elective module in 'Soulwinning' :what:
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Result!! :)

Got my comment on the programme!

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 04, 2010 8:20 pm

If homeschooled kids are subject to government standards, I don't see why this school is. And if they're teaching the stuff mentioned above, that should be enough for a fail, in my opinion.

But what qualifications do they teach to? It can't be GCSE. Again, make sure absolutely no educational institution in the country with government funding (which would include every university, of course) recognises the "education" they offer.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby reddix » Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I attended an ACE school.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Jain » Mar 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Katherine wrote:Result!! :)

Got my comment on the programme!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Emmeline » Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

rezling wrote:I attended an ACE school.

What's your opinion of it?
Emmeline

Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Topsy wrote:
rezling wrote:I attended an ACE school.

What's your opinion of it?

It was ace.

I'll get my coat.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby reddix » Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I think in general, the structure of the school, the individualized learning is good for some students, but not all. The problem lies in what is actually taught in the PACEs.

I still have a few pages from one of my books. I'll see if I can get it up so you can have a look.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Jumbo » Mar 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:If homeschooled kids are subject to government standards, I don't see why this school is. And if they're teaching the stuff mentioned above, that should be enough for a fail, in my opinion.

But what qualifications do they teach to? It can't be GCSE. Again, make sure absolutely no educational institution in the country with government funding (which would include every university, of course) recognises the "education" they offer.

ThiS is one of the mad things about the setup in the UK. The school is legally an independant school. As such its inspected by OFSTED (Who seem to have no problem with ACE shamefully) but it has no requirement to teach the national curriculum at all.

You are right they wont get GCSEs they will get ICCEs (International Certificate of Christian Education) according to the prospecutus these are 'accepted by a wide range of employers, but also by further education colleges and universities'

Im assuming the employers include the local church and/or KFC and they get entry into liberty university!
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby reddix » Mar 04, 2010 10:44 pm

These are pages from what was called a 'wisdom insert.' IIRC they were in the English books. All PACEs had this general structure though. First, a story or lesson, followed by a page or two of questions. After completing the questions the student would then ask permission to 'score' (correct) their own work against an answer key.

Below is a good example of where the problem with this type of school lies. The blatant Christianity is not the problem IMO. It's the little space at the bottom of the page that says 'supervisor initial'. This is one of the few times where a supervisor (read: unqualified teacher) was required to check the student's work, other than marking tests. This rule was taken very serious. The supervisor's attention to the answers on this page was required. And yes, there was a wrong way to answer these questions.

http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... ool2-1.jpg
http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... school.jpg
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby MattHunX » Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Will someone please burn that thing down! I'd even pay for it, the gasoline or whatever you use. Just reduce that abomination to ashes! :mob:

Or turn it into a museum/theater/normal school.

I hope all those quotes from the people will be shown to the public or whoever. That will help sway the sensible people to join forces and close it.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#18  Postby Millefleur » Mar 07, 2010 5:13 pm

I seem to remember a British school on one of Dawkins Cannel 4 programmes using these methods and curiculum, each child was sat in a small box type cubicle facing a wall with worksheets of Bible verse.

Rezling, thanks for sharing. Was 'a servants attitude' one of the correct answers when choosing a wife :ask: Its shocking thats even an option, should you interpret it as a servant to God or your husband I wonder.
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#19  Postby MattHunX » Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Millefleur wrote:I seem to remember a British school on one of Dawkins Cannel 4 programmes using these methods and curiculum, each child was sat in a small box type cubicle facing a wall with worksheets of Bible verse.

Rezling, thanks for sharing. Was 'a servants attitude' one of the correct answers when choosing a wife :ask: Its shocking thats even an option, should you interpret it as a servant to God or your husband I wonder.

Hey, hey...Which program was it? Maybe it's on YouTube.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#20  Postby Millefleur » Mar 07, 2010 5:17 pm

MattHunX wrote:
Millefleur wrote:I seem to remember a British school on one of Dawkins Cannel 4 programmes using these methods and curiculum, each child was sat in a small box type cubicle facing a wall with worksheets of Bible verse.

Hey, hey...Which program was it? Maybe it's on YouTube.

I'll go have a look on 4od, see if I can figure out which it is.

Edit: Found it - Channel 4, The Root of All Evil, ep2 The Virus of Faith, about 10 mins in.

Its the Phoenix Academy, London, they follow ACE.
Last edited by Millefleur on Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education