Ofsted warns of Muslim school staff gender segregation

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Ofsted warns of Muslim school staff gender segregation

#1  Postby DougC » Apr 28, 2016 1:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36150082

B.B.C. Article

Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw has warned of gender segregation among teachers in Muslim independent schools.
Inspectors had found male and female staff and governors were being divided in Luton's Rabia Boys and Girls School, the education watchdog's head said.
Last year, Sir Michael wrote to the education secretary with "serious concerns" about staff segregation.
He has now written to her again, warning it continues to "actively undermine" equality in schools.
In Wednesday's letter, Sir Michael told Education Secretary Nicky Morgan that inspectors "expressed their concern when, at the initial meeting with inspectors, the school insisted on segregating men and women through the use of a dividing screen across the middle of the room".

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ofsted warns of Muslim school staff gender segregation

#2  Postby NineBerry » Apr 28, 2016 10:05 am

That's the problem with having schools run by religious groups.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Apr 28, 2016 11:02 am

..."expressed their concern when, at the initial meeting with inspectors, the school insisted on segregating men and women through the use of a dividing screen across the middle of the room".

FFS! Where are we? In the Middle East?

Sir Michael said inspectors, visiting the independent school earlier this month, "gathered evidence that male and female staff are segregated during whole-school staff training sessions".

"Male staff sit in one room and the session is simultaneously broadcast to female staff in another part of the school," he said

I see! The female staff are not worthy of direct instruction but have to receive it 'second-hand' via a loudspeaker piped in from the men's room. (Why not the other way round?)
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NineBerry » Apr 28, 2016 12:28 pm

I suppose it is because the instructor is male. If the instructor was female, it would be the other way around, I suppose. I remember watching some youtube videos with a female salafi preacher from the US in front of a female audience and she was explicitly addressing male listeners in a different room.

What I found most funny was that they obviously didn't have a problem putting these videos on youtube where male viewers would also see her. I suppose they expect faithful male listeners to not look on the screen while watching these videos.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Agreed. But not in the UK in a school full of impressionable youngsters. What message does this procedure send to them?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineBerry » Apr 28, 2016 1:06 pm

I suppose that it is the message the parents want them to hear? That's the reason why we should have public schools not run by special interest groups but by the state so that every child has a chance to learn more facts and opinions than their parents want them to know.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2016 3:50 pm

All muslim schools failed to reach the required limits laid down by our schools inspectorate and were closed.
I am surprised they do in England.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 29, 2016 12:51 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:All muslim schools failed to reach the required limits laid down by our schools inspectorate and were closed.

Some have been, but under the new free schools bullshit, a bunch of nutjobs can have a good run at it before alarm bells are raised. (Do you raise an alarm bell?)
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DougC » Apr 29, 2016 12:58 am

I think you can raise an alarm, with bells.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:All muslim schools failed to reach the required limits laid down by our schools inspectorate and were closed.

Some have been, but under the new free schools bullshit, a bunch of nutjobs can have a good run at it before alarm bells are raised. (Do you raise an alarm bell?)

No one raises alarm bells. New schools are critically observed for the first five years. One muslim school survived for two years but its results just dropped quickly and it was shut down. There was only one ever second level muslim school.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby ED209 » May 01, 2016 6:28 pm

NineBerry wrote:That's the problem with having schools run by religious groups.

Something like one third of UK schools are run by religious groups. You are falsely widening the issue.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 02, 2016 9:51 am

The issue concerns muslim schools which dont seem to be much under control due to the islamic nature of the schools.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education