Outrageous children's names

What are the worst you've heard of or encountered?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Outrageous children's names

#141  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jan 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Agrippina wrote::lol: Reminds me of the guy named Sean who came to do something in my office and insisted it was pronounced "seen." :roll:

One favourite in SA is Siobhan, except they spell it Shavon, Shavonne because they say "people don't know how to say it." Well then moron, if you're playing to other morons, name your child Sue. :roll:

Actually there are a lot of boys named Shawn in the US. I think the changing of spelling is inevitable as people move around the globe and as times change. We don't insist that boys named John are called Johan or Johannes...
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby Agrippina » Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Aern Rakesh wrote:
Agrippina wrote::lol: Reminds me of the guy named Sean who came to do something in my office and insisted it was pronounced "seen." :roll:

One favourite in SA is Siobhan, except they spell it Shavon, Shavonne because they say "people don't know how to say it." Well then moron, if you're playing to other morons, name your child Sue. :roll:

Actually there are a lot of boys named Shawn in the US. I think the changing of spelling is inevitable as people move around the globe and as times change. We don't insist that boys named John are called Johan or Johannes...

I can understand people changing a name for language purposes, but to change it because "other people won't spell it correctly" is snobbery, and arrogance. If they Afrikanised Siobhan, although I don't know how they would do it and possibly spelling it "Shavonne" is an attempt at that, I can understand that too. However, the person I'm talking about isn't Afrikaans-speaking, he is more English than I am. Don't take notice of me Aern, I'm just being obsessive and old-fashioned. :grin:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Aern Rakesh » Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Aern Rakesh wrote:

I can understand people changing a name for language purposes, but to change it because "other people won't spell it correctly" is snobbery, and arrogance. If they Afrikanised Siobhan, although I don't know how they would do it and possibly spelling it "Shavonne" is an attempt at that, I can understand that too. However, the person I'm talking about isn't Afrikaans-speaking, he is more English than I am. Don't take notice of me Aern, I'm just being obsessive and old-fashioned. :grin:

Well to be honest, I never knew any Seans, and when I first came over here I always though Sean Bean's name was pronounced Seen Bean!

But you know what really gets my goat, is that people who insist on spelling my name Norah when I've sent them an email and signed it Nora and it has come from a Nora (and oops, I realise I've just given away my secret identity!) :lol:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Agrippina » Jan 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Aern Rakesh wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Aern Rakesh wrote:

Well to be honest, I never knew any Seans, and when I first came over here I always though Sean Bean's name was pronounced Seen Bean!

But you know what really gets my goat, is that people who insist on spelling my name Norah when I've sent them an email and signed it Nora and it has come from a Nora (and oops, I realise I've just given away my secret identity!) :lol:

I know what you mean. I have a friend who freaks out every time someone uses the Afrikaans/German/Swedish/Danish pronunciation of her name, even though it's spelt that way. She insists on the English/American pronunciation. But we live in SA and more people speak Afrikaans than English, so she simply uses only her first initial as her name. When I asked her why they didn't spell it the American way if she wanted it pronounced like that, she claimed she was named for a famous Dane. I pointed out that the Danish pronunciation would be the same as the one that the locals use, and we almost came to the end of our friendship. So I just let it go. For some reason, South Africans get extremely emotional about their English heritage. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#145  Postby purplerat » Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Agrippina wrote:

My mother who works in a doctors office once told me of a patient who did the exact opposite with that name, spelled it Siobhan but insisted it be pronounced phonetically. This lead to my mother inadvertently offending her when she read her name off her chart as 'sha-von' but when the woman corrected her saying it as 'cio-bon' my mother laughed thinking the woman was making a joke about her name so often being mispronounced before realizing she was serious.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Agrippina » Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Which is why I gave my kids simple names that anyone, even non-English-speakers could pronounce.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Made of Stars » Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am

Agrippina wrote:Which is why I gave my kids simple names that anyone, even non-English-speakers could pronounce.

Like Argipina? :whistle:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#148  Postby Macdoc » Jan 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Well I have a couple of interesting clients...these are their names

Morning Glory

Rebel Storms

Conrad Cowherd

( the latter two are cousins in different parts of Ontario )

Morning Glory has morphed his name into his business....Best Light Digital :D
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#149  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2014 12:31 pm

One has to be very careful about publicly mocking the names of the children of others. I once made the mistake of thinking that Frank Zappa could have been less creative when it came to choosing those of his own offspring. When he stated that he did not want them being made fun of and in no uncertain terms too I backed off. I really should have known better. Now I do not bat an eyelid when I hear them. I still do not like them [ the names not the children ] but they are not my children so my opinion means absolutely nothing and so I keep it to myself. Frank is dead now of course but I still respect him for educating me. I may have mentioned this before but this is a more brutal version

Not that long ago Kate [ one ] appeared on I T V telling Phil that she does not let her children mix with other children if they have certain names because they are common and as she is not that would not do. Because I have no real memory anymore [ I hope I never witness a crime because I will be hacked to shreds in the dock ] I cannot recall what those names were. But my mothers name was Kate [ two ] and we are as lower class it is possible to be [ peasant Celtic stock ] What a shame Frank is not around to educate her [ Kate one ] I actually found her reasonably attractive [ I am allowed to say that as it is true ]

Slightly off topic [ only slightly ] : here in this country some would get really offended if someone from a higher class looked down on them. They would probably suggest that all are equal. To which I would suggest they go ask George Orwell for his opinion [ in theory we are all equal of course and that should be the way it is. Obviously. But that is not the same in practice however. And that is all I am saying on that ] I am lower class and always have been. That means that anyone who is middle or upper class is automatically superior to me. I have no problem with that. No one else can get upset at that because it only affects me. More white cats would increase life expectancy. Did you ever own one Mister Fleming ?
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#150  Postby Scarlett » Jan 03, 2014 1:14 pm

No one is 'superior' to me :what:
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."

Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#151  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Apart from all those who will beat you to the post this year. I know you are doing sod all training because you are here
You said you were going to start doing it but it appears the start doing it bit has taken a bit of a back seat. If I lived somewhere as boiling hot as Scotland I would be out doors all day every day from dawn till dusk. Not sitting inside
shopping on the internet for useless stuff that I cannot afford and do not really want or need anyway. It is a lovely
day so why not go for a nice ten mile jog ? You can do that in your sleep at your age. Oh well never mind
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#152  Postby Agrippina » Jan 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
Agrippina wrote:Which is why I gave my kids simple names that anyone, even non-English-speakers could pronounce.

Like Argipina? :whistle:

:grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Scarlett » Jan 03, 2014 1:51 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Apart from all those who will beat you to the post this year. I know you are doing sod all training because you are here
You said you were going to start doing it but it appears the start doing it bit has taken a bit of a back seat. If I lived somewhere as boiling hot as Scotland I would be out doors all day every day from dawn till dusk. Not sitting inside
shopping on the internet for useless stuff that I cannot afford and do not really want or need anyway. It is a lovely
day so why not go for a nice ten mile jog ? You can do that in your sleep at your age. Oh well never mind

I am going to a body pump class later on actually smart arse :nanana:
"The stupid bitch"

Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#154  Postby trubble76 » Jan 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Scarlett wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:Apart from all those who will beat you to the post this year. I know you are doing sod all training because you are here

I bet I could pump your body without needing a class.

Just sayin'.

:mrgreen:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Aca » Jan 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Macdoc wrote:
Morning Glory has morphed his name into his business....Best Light Digital :D

Is this one of his shops? :lol:

I took this pic in Sydney two years ago, if memory serves me well it was a toy shop
Attachments
morninggloryaustralia.jpg
morninggloryaustralia.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#156  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Scarlett wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Apart from all those who will beat you to the post this year. I know you are doing sod all training because you are here

I am going to a body pump class later on actually smart arse

Make sure you do some pumping and not just stand there gawping at the beefcake
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#157  Postby Scarlett » Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Scarlett wrote:

I bet I could pump your body without needing a class.

Just sayin'.

:mrgreen:

Rude boy!

:tehe:

surreptitious57 wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:

I am going to a body pump class later on actually smart arse

Make sure you do some pumping and not just stand there gawping at the beefcake

There are only ever a handful of men in the class, they appear to be in competition over who can pump the biggest weights. They are knobends :thumbdown:
"The stupid bitch"

Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#158  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Scarlett wrote:
There are only ever a handful of men in the class they appear to be in

competition over who can pump the biggest weights. They are knobends

Are you the only woman in the class with all those big beef cakes then

I pump weights too so I suppose that makes me a knobend as well ha ha ha

Tell the men that you are in training and they will pump even more ha ha ha
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#159  Postby THWOTH » Jan 03, 2014 3:48 pm

When asked why he'd called his son Dweezel and his daughter Funky Moon Unit, Frank Zappa replied, "Why not? People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly 'strange names', but the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble. Consider for a moment any beauty in the name "Ralph."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm

What with the proliferation of unusual names, particularly for girl children, it appears you can no longer have your Kay and Edith, too.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education