Penis Envy

To Be (or not to be ) Circumcised

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: Penis Envy

#41  Postby Durro » Feb 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote: Mine pop up and down the whole time and they often stay up. I always thought that was normal. In the sauna after coming out of the cold plunge pool everything disappears. Balls go up and my penis retracts. 8-) The water is pretty cold.

There are cremaster and datos muscles which pull up the testicles into the warm pelvis in response to cold and relax to allow testicles to drop away from the body in response to excessive warmth. This is because sperm production is affected by extremes in temperature and the body tries to maintain a constant temp. Too much heat in particular kills off sperm, which is why potential fathers are advised not to wear tight underwear or have excessively hot baths or showers.

So too, blood flow is regulated in response to temperature changes, altering the male anatomy accordingly.

:thumbup:

But thanks for sharing your personal visual imagery Scot.

:)
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby mraltair » Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm

MysteryTupperware wrote:
mraltair wrote:
:scratch:
I think that's a yes to the instruction manual then, Hugh. :lol:

A bit of sellotape would solve this debate quickly. Then you have a choice, roof up or roof down.

I guess it is. :lol: I wouldn't really know what Norwegian men are doing to their penises since I don't swing that way. :dunno: I'm just saying what I've heard - I have my sources. :naughty2: :lol:

Eh, sorry, I know I know, I'm a baaad at cracking jokes, lol. :grin:

EDIT: Hugh - :rofl:

Does Scandinavia have a foreskin? It certainly looks to have some kind of growth.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Shuggy » Feb 04, 2011 2:37 am

byofrcs wrote:
Paul G wrote:
byofrcs wrote:I'm normal as evolution intended me. I'm happy with interventions to fix problems but nature has been at the sex business for millions of years longer than we have had small sharp knives and I imagine (I could be wrong) that something as critical to the survival of the species as a penis will have its shape and function highly selected for.

Well, I think it's fair to see that's not always the case. Testacles in a less exposed place would be a great start.

If they were protected all the time then the temperature would rise and fertility would drop - so there is a feedback loop.
Intelligent design would have put the testicles inside the body and replaced the scrotum with a radiator, like elephants' ears.

But since babies are sometimes born without a prepuce and no other defects, that would have evolved to become the norm if it conferred an overall advantage.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Shuggy » Feb 04, 2011 2:54 am

Weaver wrote:I echoed anti-circumcision info I got from people here to some Norwegian friends, and made the statement that I thought there were few hygienic reasons for circumcision. They disagreed - in fact, two of the 8 male Norwegians I worked with had to have circumcisions at fairly advanced years due to recurring infections (9 y/o :eek: )

So I'm back to being in the "needs more study" camp. Certainly wanting your kid's junk to look just like yours is a silly reason, though.
A non-random sample of N=8 is not exactly statistically compelling. Even in liberal Norway, their parents may have been misguidedly told to retract their sons' foreskins forcibly before they were ready - a common cause of the infections that make circumcision "necessary" in the US, where the only thing doctors are taught about the foreskin is how to cut it off. The circumcision rate in Finland for males over 15 in the early 1990s was about 2 per 100,000 per year - vanishingly few.
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Shuggy » Feb 04, 2011 3:09 am

HughMcB wrote:
JWG wrote:I've been circumcised and I am not traumatized at all from it. Personally I am glad I am. Not much a fan of the extra skin and much easier for hygiene. You know, just because it's origins are religious, more so cultural, doesn't mean it's evil and should be shunned. :P

Oh dear, here we go again. Image

JWG, do you think your aversion to the extra skinstandard equipment could just possibly be a matter of what you're used to, and if you had had it from birth, you still wouldn't like it?
"Much easier for hygiene" as in 5 seconds a day playing with it in the shower?
Can you name any other cutting off of part of a non-consenting person's genitals, whose origins are religious, more so cultural, that isn't evil and should not be shunned?
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Durro wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote: Mine pop up and down the whole time and they often stay up. I always thought that was normal. In the sauna after coming out of the cold plunge pool everything disappears. Balls go up and my penis retracts. 8-) The water is pretty cold.

There are cremaster and datos muscles which pull up the testicles into the warm pelvis in response to cold and relax to allow testicles to drop away from the body in response to excessive warmth. This is because sperm production is affected by extremes in temperature and the body tries to maintain a constant temp. Too much heat in particular kills off sperm, which is why potential fathers are advised not to wear tight underwear or have excessively hot baths or showers.

So too, blood flow is regulated in response to temperature changes, altering the male anatomy accordingly.

Thanks for the info Durro. :thumbup:
At my age I dont think I have to worry about sperm production though. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Durro wrote:

Thanks for the info Durro. :thumbup:
At my age I dont think I have to worry about sperm production though. :lol:

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby quisquose » Feb 04, 2011 4:15 pm

I reckon the foreskin must actually be the most sensitive part of the penis.

I'll just go and check, back in a few mins ....
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Scarlett » Feb 04, 2011 4:23 pm

quisquose wrote:I reckon the foreskin must actually be the most sensitive part of the penis.

I'd guess it's the head of the penis, under the foreskin that'd be the most sensitive. I can only imagine that it toughens up without the protection of the foreskin and sensation is lost. I have no real idea though, never having had a penis.
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."

Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Paula1 wrote:
quisquose wrote:I reckon the foreskin must actually be the most sensitive part of the penis.

I'd guess it's the head of the penis, under the foreskin that'd be the most sensitive. I can only imagine that it toughens up without the protection of the foreskin and sensation is lost. I have no real idea though, never having had a penis.

That would be impossible to investigate :lol:
No two men are the save when it comes to sensitivity. I suppose if it was done to an adult :whistle: I am not volunteering :grin:

Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#51  Postby SPMaximus » Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Paula1 wrote:

No two men are the save when it comes to sensitivity. I suppose if it was done to an adult :whistle: I am not volunteering :grin:

we need a test group, 2 identical twins, one must be circumcised at birth and the other not :popcorn:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#52  Postby quisquose » Feb 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Phew, that took a bit longer than I thought. :oops:

Without really examining it, one fails to realise how incredibly sensitive the foreskin is. In a pleasurable way. The head of the penis (mine anyway) is sensitive, but less so, in a duller, somewhat more irritating way. I guess it is the stimulation of the two in combination that works in such a perfect way.

I wonder if some ladies would like to confirm if the clitoris and clitoral prepuce are similar.

quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby John P. M. » Feb 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Weaver wrote:I echoed anti-circumcision info I got from people here to some Norwegian friends, and made the statement that I thought there were few hygienic reasons for circumcision. They disagreed - in fact, two of the 8 male Norwegians I worked with had to have circumcisions at fairly advanced years due to recurring infections (9 y/o :eek: )

Hard to make a post on this that is not TMI, but I'll try. I'm Norwegian(!), and I'm 'all me'. I've only ever known one guy who needed to get 'snipped' (but not necessarily a full circumcision), because his foreskin was too tight. Which, of course, earned him the nickname of 'Tight Thomas'. Anyway...
In my own case I haven't been cut, but I don't have that much foreskin to begin with, so it's never been a problem in any way, and is very easily cleaned. I have experienced 'smegma' only once in my life, and that was when I was little, and my foreskin was retracted for the first time. Heh - still remember it.

TMI? TMI.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#54  Postby HughMcB » Feb 04, 2011 7:56 pm

mraltair wrote:
MysteryTupperware wrote:
mraltair wrote:
:scratch:
I think that's a yes to the instruction manual then, Hugh. :lol:

A bit of sellotape would solve this debate quickly. Then you have a choice, roof up or roof down.

I guess it is. :lol: I wouldn't really know what Norwegian men are doing to their penises since I don't swing that way. :dunno: I'm just saying what I've heard - I have my sources. :naughty2: :lol:

Eh, sorry, I know I know, I'm a baaad at cracking jokes, lol. :grin:

EDIT: Hugh - :rofl:

Does Scandinavia have a foreskin? It certainly looks to have some kind of growth.

Well according to the old two euro coins, Scandinavia certainly has some very phallic qualities.

"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#55  Postby PunkinheadDeluxe » Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Paula1 wrote:

Actually, a study by Morris Sorrells in 2007 found that the transitional area between the inner and outer foreskin was the most sensitive area on an intact man. On a circumcised man, the most sensitive area was the circumcision scar. The glans was actually one of the least sensitive areas. Here's the study and here's a chart summarizing the results.
PunkinheadDeluxe
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Shuggy » Feb 04, 2011 8:43 pm

SPMaximus wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Paula1 wrote:

we need a test group, 2 identical twins, one must be circumcised at birth and the other not :popcorn:

That has been done - to tell them apart. When they grew up the tall redhead was really jealous of the short fair one.
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#57  Postby mraltair » Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Well according to the old two euro coins, Scandinavia certainly has some very phallic qualities.

:lol: I never noticed that.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby HughMcB » Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

It was a big running joke in Ireland when we got the new currency. Guess we all have sex on the brain. :dunno:
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Red_Nucleus » Feb 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Inflicting an unnecessary and barbaric medical procedure on your child to satisfy your own sense of vanity is reprehensible beyond words. I would have little problem if there was a clearly defined medical requirement, and while some men choose to undergo the surgery in adulthood, I have yet to see women queueing up to recieve the same procedure (google 'infibulation' to get a better understanding of the purpose of these *covenants*)

On a lighter note, I remember a few anecdotes from two comedians on the subject of their kids noticing their respective differences. One bloke (whose name I can't remember) discussed a particular bathtime with his 3 yo daughter and 2yo son. While getting undressed, his little girl noticed that her brother had 'dangly bits' - which made no sense because she knew that hers were on the inside right where they were meant to be. This discovery promptly sent her tearing through the house, screaming at the top of her voice, 'Mama, Mama, Andy's 'gina fell out!!!!"

Brad Garrett relates a similar story about bathing his young children. As he put his son in the bath, the boy noticed that his sister looked 'different' so he found himself having to explain the distinction between boy bits and girl bits. Upon hearing this, his 2yo boy looked enviously at his sister and loudly declared " I WANT A VAGINA!" Garrett's reply was ' Well, I want one too - but I haven't seen one since you were born!"
Non Serviat!

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth...and quote the bible.
Red_Nucleus

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby campermon » Feb 15, 2011 7:40 pm

trubble76 wrote:
JWG wrote:I've been circumcised and I am not traumatized at all from it. Personally I am glad I am. Not much a fan of the extra skin and much easier for hygiene. You know, just because it's origins are religious, more so cultural, doesn't mean it's evil and should be shunned. :P

Personally I prefer washing over amputation as a method for easier hygene. :roll:

:lol:

I always found the 'hygiene' excuse one of the most amusing and frightening reasons to justify cutting a piece off their child's penis.... :crazy:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education