Penis Envy

To Be (or not to be ) Circumcised

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Penis Envy

#1  Postby Michael Dunn » Feb 02, 2011 5:10 am

I heard someone say he want to circumcise his son so that they would match. He didn't want the little feller (his son) to be confused about his litter feller.

I thought this was a pretty odd justification for traumatizing a new born.
Michael Dunn

Name: Michael Dunn

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Penis Envy

#2  Postby Arcanyn » Feb 02, 2011 6:22 am

I suppose if he'd lost an arm in an accident, he'd be wanting to chop his kid's arm off so they'd match?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shuggy » Feb 02, 2011 6:54 am

also
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 02, 2011 6:57 am

We haven't had one of these threads in a while.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shuggy » Feb 02, 2011 8:16 am

It isn't one of these threads - yet.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Kenaz » Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am

I've been circumcised and I am not traumatized at all from it. Personally I am glad I am. Not much a fan of the extra skin and much easier for hygiene. You know, just because it's origins are religious, more so cultural, doesn't mean it's evil and should be shunned. :P
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul G » Feb 02, 2011 11:06 am

Michael Dunn wrote:I heard someone say he want to circumcise his son so that they would match. He didn't want the little feller (his son) to be confused about his litter feller.

If he doesn't flash his dick to his son there won't be a problem.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby trubble76 » Feb 02, 2011 11:23 am

JWG wrote:I've been circumcised and I am not traumatized at all from it. Personally I am glad I am. Not much a fan of the extra skin and much easier for hygiene. You know, just because it's origins are religious, more so cultural, doesn't mean it's evil and should be shunned. :P

Personally I prefer washing over amputation as a method for easier hygene. :roll:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby babel » Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am

Paul G wrote:
Michael Dunn wrote:I heard someone say he want to circumcise his son so that they would match. He didn't want the little feller (his son) to be confused about his litter feller.

If he doesn't flash his dick to his son there won't be a problem.
Surely it can't be THAT easy?

trubble76 wrote:
JWG wrote:I've been circumcised and I am not traumatized at all from it. Personally I am glad I am. Not much a fan of the extra skin and much easier for hygiene. You know, just because it's origins are religious, more so cultural, doesn't mean it's evil and should be shunned. :P

Personally I prefer washing over amputation as a method for easier hygene. :roll:

Surely it can't be THAT easy?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DoctorE » Feb 02, 2011 11:35 am

Me = intact... All the cool nerves still belong to me.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Weaver » Feb 02, 2011 11:55 am

I echoed anti-circumcision info I got from people here to some Norwegian friends, and made the statement that I thought there were few hygienic reasons for circumcision. They disagreed - in fact, two of the 8 male Norwegians I worked with had to have circumcisions at fairly advanced years due to recurring infections (9 y/o :eek: )

So I'm back to being in the "needs more study" camp. Certainly wanting your kid's junk to look just like yours is a silly reason, though.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby trubble76 » Feb 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Weaver wrote:I echoed anti-circumcision info I got from people here to some Norwegian friends, and made the statement that I thought there were few hygienic reasons for circumcision. They disagreed - in fact, two of the 8 male Norwegians I worked with had to have circumcisions at fairly advanced years due to recurring infections (9 y/o :eek: )

So I'm back to being in the "needs more study" camp. Certainly wanting your kid's junk to look just like yours is a silly reason, though.

If I suffered from repeated infections, for example tonsilitis, I would consider having my tonsils removed. I would not have my newborn's tonsils removed prior to any evidence of a problem. The same applies to all amputations, no matter how harmless they supposedly are. Meeting two blokes that professed recurrent infections is such a piss weak reason to consider removal of part of a baby's penis.
Personally, I would require some pretty strong evidence before I could be convinced that a piece of my child should be surgically removed.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DoctorE » Feb 02, 2011 12:08 pm

I posted this before...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Lm396q8KA[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Arcanyn » Feb 02, 2011 12:13 pm

I think that we should just chop people's heads off at birth - that way they won't ever get any infections. You can't get infected body parts if you don't have a body to be infected.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Weaver » Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Weaver wrote:I echoed anti-circumcision info I got from people here to some Norwegian friends, and made the statement that I thought there were few hygienic reasons for circumcision. They disagreed - in fact, two of the 8 male Norwegians I worked with had to have circumcisions at fairly advanced years due to recurring infections (9 y/o :eek: )

If I suffered from repeated infections, for example tonsilitis, I would consider having my tonsils removed. I would not have my newborn's tonsils removed prior to any evidence of a problem. The same applies to all amputations, no matter how harmless they supposedly are. Meeting two blokes that professed recurrent infections is such a piss weak reason to consider removal of part of a baby's penis.
However, if it could be shown that a significant percentage of the population requires circumcision at later age to correct recurring infections - with the increased pain and mental trauma involved - it might be sufficient reason. Particularly if these infections resulted in tissue damage ...

Personally, I would require some pretty strong evidence before I could be convinced that a piece of my child should be surgically removed.

I agree 100% - that's why I say it "needs more study". There needs to be good clinical research performed here, and a journey away from only anecdotal "evidence" which is ruling the debate now.

For me, the subject is academic - I won't be having any kids to worry about making this decision. But I am still interested in establishing strong scientific reasons for any given pathway.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Paul G » Feb 02, 2011 1:30 pm

How many people need foreskin removal due to later life infections? I can't imagine it being high enough to warrant infant circumsion, certainly no more than tonsil infections.

It also depends on why these infections occur i.e is it lack of cleaning?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby NineOneFour » Feb 02, 2011 1:34 pm

:this:

The idea that you lose a lot of feeling afterwards is an individual case-by-case thing.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby trubble76 » Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Weaver wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

However, if it could be shown that a significant percentage of the population requires circumcision at later age to correct recurring infections - with the increased pain and mental trauma involved - it might be sufficient reason. Particularly if these infections resulted in tissue damage ...

That would be a start, but it's a pretty big "if". If jesus would transport me to the garden of eden and give me a run down of life, the universe and everything before rematerialising me next to my shiny new DB9, it might be sufficient reason to be a christian. Neither is forthcoming.

I agree 100% - that's why I say it "needs more study". There needs to be good clinical research performed here, and a journey away from only anecdotal "evidence" which is ruling the debate now.

For me, the subject is academic - I won't be having any kids to worry about making this decision. But I am still interested in establishing strong scientific reasons for any given pathway.

My problem with that is that there has been a fair amount of study, largely supporting the obvious conclusion that you probably shouldn't cut part of your children's genitals off.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Bolero » Feb 03, 2011 6:17 am

I understand what Weaver's saying, but I'd have to say that I've never seen any studies which suggest there's a significant enough number of people requiring it later in life due to infections to warrant genital mutilation of infants.

(On a side note, my hubby wanted to get it done as an adult when he converted to fundamentalist Christianity, "Just in case the First Covenant hasn't been fully revoked by the coming of Jesus." ... I talked him out of it.)
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby byofrcs » Feb 03, 2011 6:23 am

I'm normal as evolution intended me. I'm happy with interventions to fix problems but nature has been at the sex business for millions of years longer than we have had small sharp knives and I imagine (I could be wrong) that something as critical to the survival of the species as a penis will have its shape and function highly selected for.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education