RE lessons 'never been needed more'

Religious education classes 'needed' in schools

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: RE lessons 'never been needed more'

#21  Postby Shrunk » Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Nicko wrote:Oooh.

See, this is the thing. You'll never get it taught if you sell it as a "debunking religion" course.

As I've argued elsewhere, critical thinking should be formally taught in secondary schools. Probably separately from RE. Do it in the same course and the faith-heads might catch on.

Yeah, but it'd be an interesting admission for them to make, that the two are incompatible.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 02, 2015 4:39 pm

RE when I was at primary school was an excuse for the teacher to hold a religious service.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby RobM » Feb 02, 2015 5:00 pm

RE was called RI (for Instruction) when I was at school.

The only thing it instructed me in was what a pile of crap religion is.
RobM

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby smudge » Feb 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Nicko wrote:Oooh.

See, this is the thing. You'll never get it taught if you sell it as a "debunking religion" course.

As I've argued elsewhere, critical thinking should be formally taught in secondary schools. Probably separately from RE. Do it in the same course and the faith-heads might catch on.

What I'm suggesting is ditch RE. Replace it with a "how to think" lesson. Include historical and current beliefs people have. Focus on how to assess claims and beliefs. Leave what the kids actually believe to them. You don't need to debunk anything. Just provide the skills and leave the discussions open.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education