Rebrand RE to fool children into signing up

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Rebrand RE to fool children into signing up

#1  Postby HomerJay » Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Keen to boost student numbers and engagement, Andrew Jones rebranded religious studies as philosophy and ethics

Two years ago my school did not offer an optional full GCSE course in religious studies (RS) let alone an option to study it at A-level. It did, however, force all students to study a GCSE short course, which was not particularly popular.

Next year we will have up to four option classes studying for a full GCSE and an AS class for the first time in years. In total, we currently have 126 students opting for the full course GCSE and 37 for the AS level.

I guess there are a number of reasons for this increase, including outstanding staff in my department, but one of the main reasons for our change of fortunes is a wholesale rebranding of the subject, which includes changing its name, content and our approach towards teaching and learning. We have done this in order to escape the negativity expressed towards RS in the past, especially as this negativity can be passed on to younger students by siblings and even parents.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/teacher-netwo ... -education

What a cunt.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education