Recollections of being taught History in public education

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Recollections of being taught History in public education

#21  Postby DougC » Dec 20, 2014 2:25 am

For some, 'History' was 'Modern Studies'.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 2:31 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Blood wrote: Back then it was: "Our brave Christian forefathers overcame the savages."

Jango wrote:That's what I was taught.

I am calling bullshit. I was never taught that and I am older than you. From Maryland, where did they teach you different?

Northern Michigan -- I didn't learn about Columbus doing the slavery, rape or foot-cutting-off business until I had been out of school for several years.
Brainstorm take me away from the norm.
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Seabass » Dec 20, 2014 2:35 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Blood wrote: Back then it was: "Our brave Christian forefathers overcame the savages."

I am calling bullshit. I was never taught that and I am older than you. From Maryland, where did they teach you different?

Yeah. I was born in '74, and the slavery, segregation, slaughter of the natives, "manifest destiny", etc... none of that was whitewashed or sugar-coated.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#24  Postby Seabass » Dec 20, 2014 2:40 am

Willie71 wrote:
Jango wrote:Yes, I have seen that movie, and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of it.

My dad used to say, "Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes," to me when he had caught me in a lie or deception. Well, because of never being told about something that was an unknown unknown to me, the wool had certainly been over my eyes, which isn't to say that it still isn't 'cause ignorance is of an unknown quantity. But I see many people that are as oblivious as I used to be but are much, much older than I am. My father and men his age have told me stories about having to do nuclear air raid drills by hiding under their desks. And I've seen educational films from the era that would be looked at as communist today and rightfully so -- the one I remember the most is the line the cantankerous lookin' old hag pulled about not questioning authority and to do as they were told. I was like, Woah. I'll make my own decisions, thank you very much ;)

What you are taught in school is BS. It's revisionist history. Look at the current senate report on torture, and how people are defending the U.S. they have been sold a lie, hook, line, and sinker. They cannot accept that they live under an extremely oppressive regime with an extensive history of human rights violations. "We" aren't the good guys defending ourselves from the bad guys, we are the bad guys. In Vietnam, the people weren't freed, they were subjected to a tyrant worse than the previous leader, and between one and two million civilians were killed by american forces. That's approaching Nazi Germany level genocide. The U.S. was in Iraq for about two decades before 9/11. 9/11 wasn't an attack on the citizens, it was a symbolic attack on the power dynamics of the petrodollar, which was oppressing the Middle East in america's favour. The U.S. list about 2500 civilians that day. Over 200,000 civilians in the Middle East died at the hands of american soldiers prior to this. It's all a propoganda campaign, and in the social sciences, it's pretty much common knowledge that the American propoganda campaign is a near mirror of the nazi germany propaganda leading to WWII.

Everyone sanitizes their history to some extent. Americans are not unique in that regard.

Regarding the Vietnam war,

ah fuck it. You're clearly one of those people who has been trained since birth to despise all things American. Not worth the effort.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#25  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 2:49 am

Seabass wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:

Yeah. I was born in '74, and the slavery, segregation, slaughter of the natives, "manifest destiny", etc... none of that was whitewashed or sugar-coated.

Seabass wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Jango wrote:Yes, I have seen that movie, and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of it.

My dad used to say, "Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes," to me when he had caught me in a lie or deception. Well, because of never being told about something that was an unknown unknown to me, the wool had certainly been over my eyes, which isn't to say that it still isn't 'cause ignorance is of an unknown quantity. But I see many people that are as oblivious as I used to be but are much, much older than I am. My father and men his age have told me stories about having to do nuclear air raid drills by hiding under their desks. And I've seen educational films from the era that would be looked at as communist today and rightfully so -- the one I remember the most is the line the cantankerous lookin' old hag pulled about not questioning authority and to do as they were told. I was like, Woah. I'll make my own decisions, thank you very much ;)

What you are taught in school is BS. It's revisionist history. Look at the current senate report on torture, and how people are defending the U.S. they have been sold a lie, hook, line, and sinker. They cannot accept that they live under an extremely oppressive regime with an extensive history of human rights violations. "We" aren't the good guys defending ourselves from the bad guys, we are the bad guys. In Vietnam, the people weren't freed, they were subjected to a tyrant worse than the previous leader, and between one and two million civilians were killed by american forces. That's approaching Nazi Germany level genocide. The U.S. was in Iraq for about two decades before 9/11. 9/11 wasn't an attack on the citizens, it was a symbolic attack on the power dynamics of the petrodollar, which was oppressing the Middle East in america's favour. The U.S. list about 2500 civilians that day. Over 200,000 civilians in the Middle East died at the hands of american soldiers prior to this. It's all a propoganda campaign, and in the social sciences, it's pretty much common knowledge that the American propoganda campaign is a near mirror of the nazi germany propaganda leading to WWII.

Everyone sanitizes their history to some extent. Americans are not unique in that regard.

ah fuck it. You're clearly one of those people who has been trained since birth to despise all things American. Not worth the effort.

:naughty:

I'm wearing my USMC dog tag and 9/11 Memorial bracelet right now, you know, 'cause I've "been trained since birth to despise all things American." :roll:

What's up with the attack on my patriotism?
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Seabass » Dec 20, 2014 2:56 am

That was a response to Willie71. And it wasn't an attack on anyone's patriotism.
Seabass

Print view this post

#27  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 20, 2014 3:11 am

Jango wrote:
Northern Michigan -- I didn't learn about Columbus doing the slavery, rape or foot-cutting-off business until I had been out of school for several years.

It was our local history, we knew who met who landing here. The Chesapeake has always been a shared experience.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 3:34 am

Seabass wrote:That was a response to Willie71. And it wasn't an attack on anyone's patriotism.

:doh:

My bad. Still trying to get used to the quoting function here.
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 3:45 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Jango wrote:

It was our local history, we knew who met who landing here. The Chesapeake has always been a shared experience.

I understand, I just got the he found it, then settlers came and the Thanksgiving story and then onto the War of 1812 and then IIRC the Civil War and after that I believe it was World War I, the twenties (women's rights, prohibition and the crash), the Great Depression, World War II, Korean War, Kennedy Assassination, Civil Rights, Man on the Moon, Vietnam War. Many, many things were omitted in my experience.
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 20, 2014 3:59 am

I took summer school for the advanced classes.

:shrug:
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 4:15 am

I played sports and worked for my father and when I turned 14 I got a real job. The only interesting parts of school were my friends, the girls I liked, sports and psychology class.
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Willie71 » Dec 20, 2014 4:19 am

Seabass wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

Seriously? That's pathetic.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Dec 20, 2014 4:27 am

Seabass wrote:

,but Vietnam was not even close to sanitized, it was dirty in the story telling, a nasty thing that happened, the government was wrong.

The heroes were anti-war. That is the opposite of sanitized.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 4:33 am

I got the official version on that one -- that we were attacked for no reason which forced President Johnson's hand. I grew up in a very conservative county/district. :shrug:
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby laklak » Dec 20, 2014 4:36 am

Hell, I was born in 1954. Blacks didn't get to drink from the same water fountains or eat in the same restaurants, we were taught that was A-OK and the natural order of things. Wasn't shit here till Columbus showed up, just a bunch of ignorant savages living like animals. We civilized 'em, for their own good. Taught them about Jesus and God (who we prayed to every morning before saying the Pledge). Being savages they didn't take to civilization, so Indian Fighters had to kill them. Then we gave them huge areas of the country, for free, all they had to do was move there. Most of them didn't want to go and started murdering honest white people, so heroes like Yellowhair Custer had to go kill a few more of them. For their own good. Of course they treacherously ambushed him and his men and murdered them, so we had to send some more heroes to kill a bunch more. Eventually they moved onto the reservations, but spent all their time drinking firewater and stealing horses. Because savages are savages, see?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 20, 2014 4:52 am

America-hater.

/sarcasm
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education