Religious fundamental parents and their children's education

Is it child abuse to teach Christian fundamentalism to ones children?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Religious fundamental parents and their children's education

#1  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Across America there are countless christian fundamentalists who send their children to such school as the parents see fit to teach their religious viewpoints. Countless others teach their own children in a home school environment. These children are taught strict Biblical doctrine regarding many topics from young Earth creationism to the return of Christ in the Book of Revelation and everything in between. This is also done in other religions such as Islam, Mormanism, etc. Should these practices be allowed. I know of some who view this as a form of child abuse.

Comments anyone?
Chris Putnam

Name: Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Religious fundamental parents and their children's education

#2  Postby Sendraks » Apr 13, 2018 7:32 pm

What do you think?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 14, 2018 1:29 am

I don't think it is abuse.
Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Apr 14, 2018 1:46 am

It's very bad in lots of ways, I don't think it's child abuse.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby aban57 » Apr 14, 2018 2:43 pm

There is a word to describe that : it's "endocrinationindocrination". EIndocrination is always abuse, especially when it's done on a person who is not capable of rational thinking.
Last edited by aban57 on Apr 14, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Endocrine refers to glands that secrete hormones into the circulatory system.

Indoctrination is teaching someone to accept a system of beliefs uncritically.

Your English is great, aban57, and I'm totally not ripping on you. That was an absolutely delightful typo and I thank you for it.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby newolder » Apr 14, 2018 2:51 pm

It's also a French documentary from 2014. No idea what it's about though.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Then perhaps it's a portmanteau relevant to this discussion that I'm just learning.

Don't I look like a fool. Serves me right for correcting aban57.
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » Apr 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Endocrine refers to glands that secrete hormones into the circulatory system.

Your English is great, aban57, and I'm totally not ripping on you. That was an absolutely delightful typo and I thank you for it.

I'm glad I entertained you :lol:

Thanks for the correction though :)

ETA : the French word starts with an E, which is odd, considering that endocrine is spelled the same. Ethymology says the word comes from Provence and Catalogne :)
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Apr 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Any system of control needs an "other". NSDAP had Jews, Soviet communists had running dogs of the capitalistic exploiters of the working class, SJWs have the Patriarchy, evangelical Christians have D-Money.

More people need to say "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" and have a J.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Endocrine refers to glands that secrete hormones into the circulatory system.

I’ve worked with Cedric. English skills better than most Americans.

Likes cats, though.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm

I’m damned if I can think of a five syllable word in French just now...
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 15, 2018 3:31 am

aban57 wrote:There is a word to describe that : it's "endocrinationindocrination". EIndocrination is always abuse, especially when it's done on a person who is not capable of rational thinking.

In many countries abused children (be it physical or emotional abuse) are removed from their parents care and placed in foster care till such time as the parents have proven they are no longer a risk to abuse their children. Should that be done in this case as well? I personally feel it quite dangerous for a society to disqualify parents over teaching ideology to children.
Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Apr 15, 2018 6:15 am

I don't know how anyone can look at a documentary like Jesus Camp and say that's not mental torture what they put those children through. The Hell House and whipping kids into a frenzy of tears over the dangers of Harry Potter are particularly odious examples. And we didn't even get to see what goes on behind closed doors of people who follow Proverbs 13:24 to the letter. These people buy and sell spanking paddles!

It's abuse, in my view, and can cause the children to grow up to be disturbed and fearful adults. Find a story by someone who has escaped from the clutches of cultish religions and they'll tell you about the panic attacks and feeling of trepidation associated with breaking away.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby aban57 » Apr 15, 2018 8:48 am

Chris Putnam wrote:

In many countries abused children (be it physical or emotional abuse) are removed from their parents care and placed in foster care till such time as the parents have proven they are no longer a risk to abuse their children. Should that be done in this case as well?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. In our society, it's adult's role to protect chidren from harm. Whether it's physical or mental harm. Indocrination is dangerous, hence we need to protect kids from it. We already take kids from parents involved in a cult, there is no difference there.

Chris Putnam wrote: I personally feel it quite dangerous for a society to disqualify parents over teaching ideology to children.

That would be a great way to destroy said ideologies though.
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 15, 2018 3:08 pm

The_Metatron wrote:

I’ve worked with Cedric. English skills better than most Americans.

Likes cats, though.

Makes me think even more highly of him.
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

The idea of a society claiming the right to remove kids from their parents over ideology is that it would give the state a great deal of power to set the favored ideology of those in power. This is undoubtedly practiced in totalitarian states. Fear of loosing custody of ones children is a strong motivator to "tow the line". Then when someone takes power in a society they can use the power of the state to force their ideas "down peoples throats". I find this concept troubling. Perhaps this thread should take another direction. What religious teachings are acceptable? The Bible, the Koran, sin, salvation, hell, heaven, the second coming of Christ, and any other multitude of controversial religious doctrines? Shall we live like those in Marxist states and ban any teaching outside the party, especially religion? Please comment.
Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Sendraks » Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Chris Putnam wrote:The idea of a society claiming the right to remove kids from their parents over ideology is that it would give the state a great deal of power to set the favored ideology of those in power. This is undoubtedly practiced in totalitarian states.

It has happened in non-totalitarian states in the past. No good has come from it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Chris Putnam wrote:The idea of a society claiming the right to remove kids from their parents over ideology is that it would give the state a great deal of power to set the favored ideology of those in power. This is undoubtedly practiced in totalitarian states.

It has happened in non-totalitarian states in the past. No good has come from it.

550 years ago there was an solid orthodoxy based on the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. It was quite totalitarian. Such states can be religious or secular. Someone wants to wield power over others and they will use whatever means they can to enforce their will. I believe giving such authority is dangerous.
Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby aban57 » Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm

I agree with you, it's a very dangerous power to give to a government. Instead, we could teach rational thinking and the real religious texts (not just the nice bits selected by religious) to show what they're really on about. We could also forbid the teaching, in all schools, not just public ones, of anything that is not supported by a solid amount of evidence. That would solve the problem within a handful of generations.
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education