School Isolation as Punishment!

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

School Isolation as Punishment!

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 4:22 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47898657

‘I was put in a school isolation booth more than 240 times'

A girl who tried to kill herself after spending months in an isolation booth at school has said she felt "alone, trapped and no-one seemed to care".

The teenager, who has autism, had no direct teaching and ate her lunch in the room, away from friends.

How the fuck did we get here? :what:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: School Isolation as Punishment!

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am

That is the UK education system these days. You get the service you pay for and as so many want the own school system state schools have no resources. Free sanitary products are given to girls in Scotland and from September in England because they cant afford them. Schools have to set up special funds to pay for basic equipment (paper and pencils). Inequality is growing.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am

Spearthrower wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47898657

A girl who tried to kill herself after spending months in an isolation booth at school has said she felt "alone, trapped and no-one seemed to care".

The teenager, who has autism, had no direct teaching and ate her lunch in the room, away from friends.

:what: I don't know what incompetent person OK'd that, but that's horrible. :nono:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 15, 2019 8:25 am

The department of education OK'd that. Lack of funds means that schools cant handle all kids.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Apr 15, 2019 8:52 am

Indeed, it's a let's say a curious method. Who OK'ed it, well, who came up with it? I mean, what is the reasoning, what is it based on?

One of the latest trends in education here, and we are usually behind copying others (except for sex and atheism:), is what is being called inclusion. Apparently quite controversial but nevertheless it seems to go the opposite direction.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am

The cheapest option.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Isolation booth? Luxury. When I were lad you got a tongue lashing. Grab your tongue with pliers and beat it with barbed wire wrapped stick.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Arcanyn » Apr 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47898657

:what: I don't know what incompetent person OK'd that, but that's horrible. :nono:

Incompetent, or sadistic?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 15, 2019 9:06 pm

I see this sort of shit a lot. There is no end to the tales of abuse at the hands of schools. All this does is confirm our decision to teach our spawn ourselves. There’s nothing in public school that we need.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Not here.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Not here.

I can’t do a better job than your average Dutch public school. The need wouldn’t exist there to do it.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 16, 2019 12:46 am

Following the aside (and hello The_Metatron!), Thailand doesn't exactly have a stellar education system and my son's attending a fairly poor government school. However, I feel that there's more to school than just education, be that socialization with peers (ironic with respect to this thread), meeting teachers and other professionals and learning educational discipline, being part of a culture and an institution paves the way for future engagement with society. I see a role for home-schooling, but I don't see it as mutually exclusive with going to a school. We learn a lot at home too, and I let that be promoted by his interests (currently he's really into human evolution!!).
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 16, 2019 2:09 am

tuco wrote:Indeed, it's a let's say a curious method. Who OK'ed it, well, who came up with it? I mean, what is the reasoning, what is it based on?

I think it's more based on stopping a kid disrupting the rest of the class, rather than benefiting the disruptive kid themselves. They had it at my secondary school growing up, but I only remember it being used once for about a week. It was basically one step below suspension and definitely not designed to be used for any sort of extended period. And what it would probably mean is that you spend the week doing work in the headteacher's office. But yeah, the main reason for it is lack of funding to have a dedicated staff member to deal with troubled kids.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Apr 16, 2019 2:54 am

They just stuffed all the troublemakers into a room after school and called it "detention".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Apr 16, 2019 5:00 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
tuco wrote:Indeed, it's a let's say a curious method. Who OK'ed it, well, who came up with it? I mean, what is the reasoning, what is it based on?

I think it's more based on stopping a kid disrupting the rest of the class, rather than benefiting the disruptive kid themselves. They had it at my secondary school growing up, but I only remember it being used once for about a week. It was basically one step below suspension and definitely not designed to be used for any sort of extended period. And what it would probably mean is that you spend the week doing work in the headteacher's office. But yeah, the main reason for it is lack of funding to have a dedicated staff member to deal with troubled kids.

Out of curiosity, how disruptive one had to be to get isolated? Practical example? My education was during the so-called communist era and I have never seen or heard about isolation boot and I've been pretty disruptive myself.

Apparently, isolation boot philosophy continues to adulthood, right?
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 16, 2019 6:20 am

tuco wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

Out of curiosity, how disruptive one had to be to get isolated? Practical example? My education was during the so-called communist era and I have never seen or heard about isolation boot and I've been pretty disruptive myself.

I didn't really have any classes that I remember with the kid who was put in isolation at my school, but in the one class we did have together (PE) he was definitely the sort of kid who just spent most of his time dicking about. I don't think it's about the seriousness of the offence as such, more the fact that it went on for so long with no signs of improvement. No doubt they went through countless detentions, and being on report, and meetings with parents before it got to that. But I can't say I know any of the details. But it was a pretty good school, so I don't think they'd do it without considering it carefully.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 16, 2019 6:34 am

We never had anything like it. We had corporal punishment; they just belted the living daylights out of us.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Apr 16, 2019 6:47 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
tuco wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

I didn't really have any classes that I remember with the kid who was put in isolation at my school, but in the one class we did have together (PE) he was definitely the sort of kid who just spent most of his time dicking about. I don't think it's about the seriousness of the offence as such, more the fact that it went on for so long with no signs of improvement. No doubt they went through countless detentions, and being on report, and meetings with parents before it got to that. But I can't say I know any of the details. But it was a pretty good school, so I don't think they'd do it without considering it carefully.

Hmm ok .. so I take it the school in question is not a pretty good school.

I find interesting that its UK specialty, no other country has it it seems. Does it not make people wonder that the UK is the only one? I mean, usually, the only ones are either pioneers or just, well, hmm very special to put it mildly. Do you like ever look around and adopt working trends?
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 16, 2019 7:03 am

tuco wrote:
I find interesting that its UK specialty, no other country has it it seems. Does it not make people wonder that the UK is the only one?

It's kind of hard to verify that.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Apr 16, 2019 7:05 am

Yeah, I've been Googling since. Seems the US has it too but no other mentions so far.

---
Edit: there also seems to be no evidence its "working"

How to avoid using isolation as a sanction – PP22

Paul points out that the maximum amount of time you can be locked in your cell in a secure training centre or young offenders’ institution is 3 hours – some schools leave children in isolation booths for 3 days. It’s a somewhat bizarre notion that isolation rooms produce a positive change in pupils’ behaviour – there is absolutely no evidence to back this up.

https://pivotaleducation.com/isolation- ... ement-pp2/

well, I guess its "working" in sense that it allows the class to carry on?
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education