Sexual relationships between adults and children are illegal

Help me to find a rational reason why.

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Sexual relationships between adults and children are illegal

#1  Postby Landlord » Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

Most convincing argument I know so far is that: "It's disgusting, appalling and immoral, it is simply unspeacable to do that to children..." Hands down that argument probably is enough. The problem is: it's irrational. But as regards to rational reasons, it's uneasy to find one. Here are some probable candidates, and why I'm not sure about them.

Children can't give informed consent therefore any sex with them is not different from rape. Should be reasonable except I don't understand why this principle is restricted to sex only? Why it's still legal to teach them religion for example? And not religion only - anything, children can't consent on nothing, anything we do to children is against their consent, because they don't have consent at all. Then why we don't see any problem in that, but see it in sex?

Sex brings long-time psychological damage, depression and can cause suicide in later life. It is based on a statistical research, showing association between two factors. Association does not imply causation though. Interesting fact here is that male children who has experinced sex with male adults, in later life on avaredge have much bigger depression, alchoholism and suicide level than female children experienced the same situation. May be that can be explained by brain differences between sexes and tolerance to stress. But may be that is because the real reason for psychological trauma is not an incident itself but a social stigma associated with it. That explains why psychological trauma frequently is delayed in time, and developed in adult age, when an individual really understands what happened.

For simplicity reasons let's set aside any problems assitiated with penetration - like phisical damage, pregnancy or STDs. So what is your thoughts?
Landlord

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sexual relationships between adults and children are illegal

#2  Postby felltoearth » Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

My thoughts are that this is an unusual topic for a first forum post.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

:popcorn:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Sep 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Landlord wrote:Children can't give informed consent therefore any sex with them is not different from rape. Should be reasonable except I don't understand why this principle is restricted to sex only? Why it's still legal to teach them religion for example? And not religion only - anything, children can't consent on nothing, anything we do to children is against their consent, because they don't have consent at all. Then why we don't see any problem in that, but see it in sex?

Who doesn't see any problem with teaching children religion?

Hi and welcome to the forum.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby BlackBart » Sep 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Landlord wrote:Most convincing argument I know so far is that: "It's disgusting, appalling and immoral, it is simply unspeacable to do that to children..." Hands down that argument probably is enough. The problem is: it's irrational.

They're not irrational, they're emotional arguments. Doesn't mean they're invalid.

But as regards to rational reasons, it's uneasy to find one. Here are some probable candidates, and why I'm not sure about them.Children can't give informed consent therefore any sex with them is not different from rape.

Whoops you stated it wasn't easy. And then you found one in the very next sentence. Well done.

Should be reasonable except I don't understand why this principle is restricted to sex only? Why it's still legal to teach them religion for example? And not religion only - anything, children can't consent on nothing, anything we do to children is against their consent, because they don't have consent at all. Then why we don't see any problem in that, but see it in sex?

You can teach children about sex quite legally. You can't have sex with children which is a totally different thing to teaching them about sex or religion.

Further, informed consent isn't only limited to sex. It's also applied to smoking and alcohol.

Sex brings long-time psychological damage, depression and can cause suicide in later life. It is based on a statistical research, showing association between two factors. Association does not imply causation though. Interesting fact here is that male children who has experinced sex with male adults, in later life on avaredge have much bigger depression, alchoholism and suicide level than female children experienced the same situation. May be that can be explained by brain differences between sexes and tolerance to stress. But may be that is because the real reason for psychological trauma is not an incident itself but a social stigma associated with it.

Maybes don't butter the parsnips. Got any evidence?

That explains why psychological trauma frequently is delayed in time, and developed in adult age, when an individual really understands what happened.

It also occurs immediately. Either way, it doesn't mean sex with children isn't harmful.

For simplicity reasons let's set aside any problems assitiated with penetration - like phisical damage, pregnancy or STDs. So what is your thoughts?

Why would we need to ignore totally valid reasons to not have sex with children when discussing reasons why one should not have sex with children?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

BlackBart wrote:Further, informed consent isn't only limited to sex. It's also applied to smoking and alcohol.

...responsibility for crimes, deciding who to live with, being able to work and for how many hours, being able to own property, voting. In fact children are not afforded a decision on almost every aspect of their lives, and most things they do have a choice in are at the discretion of their parents.

In fact, I'd say that it's one of the few crimes that isn't based on a sense of disgust, because until recently, and still in certain cultures, it's completely acceptable to have sexual relationships between adults and children if parents approve. Which basically comes down to ownership and control. It's certainly true that it's an instinct for parents to be extremely protective about who gets to have sex with their daughter (not so much their son), because the stakes of getting pregnant to someone who can't provide for you are so high (or were until recently).
Last edited by I'm With Stupid on Sep 19, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm always astounded that people need to be told not to fuck kids or animals.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby BlackBart » Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Further, informed consent isn't only limited to sex. It's also applied to smoking and alcohol.

...responsibility for crimes, deciding who to live with, being able to work and for how many hours, being able to own property, voting. In fact children are not afforded a decision on almost every aspect of their lives, and most things they do have a choice in are at the discretion of their parents.

Quite.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm

laklak wrote:I'm always astounded that people need to be told not to fuck kids or animals.

Especially porcupines.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby felltoearth » Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm

laklak wrote:I'm always astounded that people need to be told not to fuck kids or animals.

Explains how your president (and our Provincial Premier) was elected.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Sep 20, 2018 2:56 am

felltoearth wrote:

Explains how your president (and our Provincial Premier) was elected.

I...well...you see...

Fuck if I know.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » Sep 20, 2018 4:38 am

So, what does a rational reason look like if not like mental harm, physical harm, depression, suicidal tendency, injury, pregnancy or STD?

If you put aside all of those (along with consent, disgust, duty of care for minors and anything else the OP discounts) is there any reason for making anything illegal that would count as "rational"? Is it rational if we simply want our societies to operate in this way and protect children? Or is that an irrational reason to allow for property laws (that we want the concept of ownership) too?

Correlation may not be causation, but causation is causation. In many cases the physical and mental harm can be directly and obviously traced back to abuse by a chain of evidence and the victim's own memory. But in fact a strong statistical basis and lack of alternative explanations is a perfectly rational method for hypothesising causation and routinely happens in even the most robust sciences like particle physics.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am

I do hope nobody's restraining themselves from strongly opposing the OP due to a wish to avoid being labelled as engaging in virtue signalling. I'm visiting rellies ATM so can't really post today.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

a) Familiarity with this forum
b) Thinly veiled defence of paedophilia
c) Choosing "Landlord" as a username

Conclusion? throwawayaccount has moved house.
Last edited by Keep It Real on Sep 20, 2018 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Hermit » Sep 20, 2018 10:58 am

Landlord wrote:Most convincing argument I know so far is that: "It's disgusting, appalling and immoral, it is simply unspeacable to do that to children..." Hands down that argument probably is enough. The problem is: it's irrational.

Sexual relationships between adults and children are illegal because they harm children. I cannot think of a more rational foundation for making them illegal.

Landlord wrote:Children can't give informed consent therefore any sex with them is not different from rape. Should be reasonable except I don't understand why this principle is restricted to sex only? Why it's still legal to teach them religion for example? And not religion only - anything, children can't consent on nothing, anything we do to children is against their consent, because they don't have consent at all. Then why we don't see any problem in that, but see it in sex?

Teaching them religion? I suppose you mean indoctrinating them with some form of it. You won't have much luck if you expect any forum members to regard the latter as a good thing.

Not that it matters. The way of raising children is not - nor should it be - contingent on whether they consent to various aspect of it. Do you really demand a child's consent before you compel it go to school, brush teeth, eat vegetables or stop pulling the dog's tail? The fact is that children are incapable of informed consent. You are trying to convince us that there is no difference between children and adults. Stop being absurd.

Landlord wrote:Sex brings long-time psychological damage, depression and can cause suicide in later life. It is based on a statistical research, showing association between two factors. Association does not imply causation though. Interesting fact here is that male children who has experinced sex with male adults, in later life on avaredge have much bigger depression, alchoholism and suicide level than female children experienced the same situation.

The difference between correlation and causation can be tested for, and it usually is. It's called using controls, and you have just failed doing that in a spectacular manner by hypothetically comparing male and female suicide rates as if gender makes no difference in suicide rates. Had you bothered with doing just a little bit of googling, you would have discovered that the suicide rate of males who have been sexually abused when they were children is significantly higher than males who have not, and that the suicide rate of females who have been sexually abused when they were children is significantly higher than females who have not.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Hermit » Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am

Keep It Real wrote:a) Familiarity with this forum
b) Thinly veiled defence of paedophilia
c) Choosing "Landlord" as a username

Conclusion? throwawayaccount has moved house.

Or it's the same nut who was banned and returned as the sock puppet named Sarah's party.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Sep 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Didn't we have an out pedo here at one time?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby scott1328 » Sep 20, 2018 2:05 pm

laklak wrote:Didn't we have an out pedo here at one time?

Yes "throwawayaccount" is the handle of the user that KiR mentioned
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Ah I remember now. My aging brain....
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 20, 2018 2:41 pm

That pedo agreed sex with children was wrong. Opie doesn't seem to.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education