Spanking as a form of Retribution ?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Spanking as a form of Retribution ?

#101  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 27, 2014 8:55 am

Agrippina wrote:
quas wrote:
Mazille wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:

Well, it's kind of the whole philosophy behind Christianity, isn't it? That we're all just a bunch of bad kids who deserve to be punished because of all the bad things we've done."

Yeah, I'm a sinner. I have been really naughty. Someone needs to punish me. :naughty2: :naughty2:

It's a very peculiar idea. An all-forgiving God who has to punish misdeeds, when He could simply forgive.

Not only that, an all-knowing god who has the ability to prevent something happening, but not doing that. He would know when a child was going to become a serial killer, why not just not allow the child to be conceived. But then this is where the "free choice" bullshit comes into the story. The serial killer, a psychopath who isn't able to understand empathy, or know that other people don't see the world the way he/she does, isn't capable of making choices. Which is why a bullet to the back of the head is a better idea. :whistle:

Nah, god loves a good psychopath. Petty, vindictive, jealous, given over to outbursts of rage, lack of empathy towards others, grandiose and proud, capable of acts of cruelty and murder without remorse even rationalising it as a worthwhile and necessary act that the victim deserved.......sound like anyone we've read about?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Agrippina » Feb 27, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah. It's why they turn to religion when they're in prison.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#103  Postby hackenslash » Feb 27, 2014 9:12 am

Retribution, eh? The catlicker paradigm of social control.

How far should we go? Bring back public crucifiction?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby Fallible » Feb 27, 2014 10:15 am

Mick's race analogy fails anyway. Mick used the example of a runner winning a gold medal, others winning the silver and bronze. What does he think makes them ''deserving'' of what they got? Effort put in, or simply the fact of finishing where they did? If it's the first, how does he know the gold medal winner put in more effort than the silver and bronze medalists? What happens if the gold medalist was simply better built for running, or had got the most sleep the night before? What if the silver medalist had actually put in more training hours, or had made more sacrifices? What if the bronze medalist put in the most effort but received less funding? In what way are they more deserving than the other runners who got nothing? They get rewarded because they got the best outcomes, not because they ''deserve'' it. Also there is no inconsistency in my view like the one Mick claimed. A person who abducts poses a danger to others. Keeping him imprisoned is valid because it protects those others. There's nothing there to trouble my view that someone can lose liberty without it being thought they ''deserve'' to.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Agrippina » Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am

Indeed.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Sendraks » Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

Meh, only the sith deal in moral absolutes. ;)
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby Scar » Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

It's fascinating to see Mick come to the rescue of almost everything that's fucked up and evil.

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby hackenslash » Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

Speaking of retribution, should some be visited on god for his treatment of the Amalekites, et al? What do you think, Mick?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby Sendraks » Feb 27, 2014 10:44 am

Scar wrote:It's fascinating to see Mick come to the rescue of almost everything that's fucked up and evil.

Indeed. Still sometimes good people do horrible things.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Scar » Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scar wrote:It's fascinating to see Mick come to the rescue of almost everything that's fucked up and evil.

Indeed. Still sometimes good people do horrible things.

That's one way to view this.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#111  Postby quas » Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

The problem with Mick's argument is that it is entirely "it just is". It is all very puzzling, until you realize this is what Christianity is all about. Sinners deserve to punished, unless they atone for their sins using blood sacrifice. How does this work? Why does an omnipotent God require blood to be sacrificed before He can forgive? It just is! No one knows how it really works. You probably imagine sin as a stain on the very fabric of your mortal soul and Jesus' blood sacrifice as the bleach that washes away sin. Very clever analogy. But does it REALLY work that way or is that just metaphor? Who knows. All that matters is sin has to be "paid" in blood sacrifice. Whatever the fuck paid means and how ever the fuck that works. It just is! You are not supposed to argue or question how that works, just accept.

So this is what is happening here:
People press Mick on trying to get him to explain why bad people deserve to be punished, and Mick can only say, "It just is!" Winners deserve to get medals, bad people deserve to be punished. Why? It just is!
Last edited by quas on Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#112  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 27, 2014 5:05 pm

quas wrote:The problem with Mick's argument is that it is entirely "it just is". It is all very puzzling, until you realize this is what Christianity is all about. Sinners deserve to punished, unless they atone for their sins using blood sacrifice. How does this work? Why does an omnipotent God require blood to be sacrificed before He can forgive? It just is!

People press him on trying to get Mick to explain why bad people deserve to be punished, and Mick can only say, "It just is!" Winners deserved to get medals, bad people deserve to be punished. Why? It just is!

It's all that bitch Eve's fault, dontcha know. :coffee:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#113  Postby hackenslash » Feb 27, 2014 5:09 pm

quas wrote:The problem with Mick's argument is that it is entirely "it just is". It is all very puzzling, until you realize this is what Christianity is all about. Sinners deserve to punished, unless they atone for their sins using blood sacrifice. How does this work? Why does an omnipotent God require blood to be sacrificed before He can forgive? It just is! No one knows how it really works. You probably imagine sin as a stain on the very fabric of your mortal soul and Jesus' blood sacrifice as the bleach that washes away sin. Very clever analogy. But does it REALLY work that way or is that just metaphor? Who knows. All that matters is sin has to be "paid" in blood sacrifice. Whatever the fuck paid means and how ever the fuck that works. It just is! You are not supposed to argue or question how that works, just accept.

People press Mick on trying to get him to explain why bad people deserve to be punished, and Mick can only say, "It just is!" Winners deserve to get medals, bad people deserve to be punished. Why? It just is!

It's because he hasn't got a glossary of intellectual-sounding but meaningless words, such as he employs in his god-bothering. In essence, he's doing the same thing he always does, but his regular vocabulary is useless here, so he resorts to foot-stamping as opposed to his usual rhetorical hand-waving.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#114  Postby Fallible » Feb 27, 2014 5:30 pm

I was surprised by the lack of polish to this particular turd of his, but that makes it clearer.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Fallible wrote:I was surprised by the lack of polish to this particular turd of his, but that makes it clearer.

You mean you're still capable of being surprised, Fall? I congratulate you!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby Fallible » Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm

That's what happens when you have an IQ of 10 and the memory of a dung beetle. Constantly surprised by stupid shit.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#117  Postby quas » Feb 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Mick wrote:When we give someone a medal, someone who won a race, say, we do it because they deserve it. This is true even if the medal promotes nothing; it is true even if it had no positive results in future behavior, no positive reinforcement. Of course that it also offers positive reinforcement is another motivator, and a good one at that. However, it is not necessary. The winner deserves his prize; and so he gets it.

Mick admits that there is no rationale or good reason for award/punishment. The concept of "deserve" simply means it just is. It's not for positive/negative reinforcement, it's not a natural consequence as in the effect to the cause in cause-and-effect, it's not even for retributive justice where the victim gets emotional appeasement for exacting revenge on his aggresor, it simply happens because it simply happens. We should award/punish because that's what we should do.
Last edited by quas on Feb 27, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#118  Postby Agrippina » Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

What always gets me is the "God is love" business and "Jesus loves me" all nonsense they spout while they take belts to their children. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#119  Postby OlivierK » Feb 27, 2014 8:07 pm

quas wrote:
Mick wrote:When we give someone a medal, someone who won a race, say, we do it because they deserve it. This is true even if the medal promotes nothing; it is true even if it had no positive results in future behavior, no positive reinforcement. Of course that it also offers positive reinforcement is another motivator, and a good one at that. However, it is not necessary. The winner deserves his prize; and so he gets it.

Mick admits that there is no rationale or good reason for award/punishment. The concept of "deserve" simply means it just is. It's not for positive/negative reinforcement, it's not a natural consequence as in the effect to the cause in cause-and-effect, it's not even for retributive justice where the victim gets emotional appeasement for exacting revenge on his aggresor, it simply happens because it simply happens. We should award/punish because that's what we should do.

I think it's a bit more nuanced (but no more rational) than that. I think it comes from having a teleological view of the world. Things are how they are for a reason. Now because teleology is a bunch of crap, teleologists are regularly stumped when asked what those reasons are, and so various reflexive defences are called into play: "It's not for us to know God's mind", "that's just the way it is" are two, and circular argument that the reason can be gleaned from the consequences is another. Some people are just addicted to the idea that "why?" questions all have answers, and many of them are theists, because "God did it" is such a handy catch-all.

Edit: also, the view of people deserving pain is what you get when instead of building an ethical system based on minimising harm, you derive morality from a vengeful god and then invent apologistic justifications for violent revenge. It's primitive, but it saves the effort of thinking :nono:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Agrippina » Feb 28, 2014 4:38 am

Indeed.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post