Spanking

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re:

#21  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

tatertail wrote:Discipline is not a beating. The only times I've ever hit any child, it was one single slap to establish beyond all reasonable doubt that I can hit a lot harder than they can, and listening to me is wise. I can't say I like it, but I'd rather rely on coarse intimidation than trying to work with warnings and the naughty step, while my possessions, or worse, someone else is being hurt. It's an emergency measure, not a punishment, and certainly I wouldn't forgive myself if I ever did it without restraint.

I don't see any point in using a ritualistic carefully counted out set of slaps to the behind, though. All that ever taught me was that my father was a non-verbal brute who tried to control the world through hurting it back harder.

The way I see it, there's a whole spectrum of using force against children. From the quick slap to interrupt a frenzy, through the "measured" or "proportionate" beatings, and beating kids black and blue, because using the rod that much shows you really love them.

I'm unwillingly on the quick slap side, on the very edge of no violence at all. One big relief, is that when I explain that I only hit them because they started with violence, and won't hit them if they're not hitting anyone or intentionally breaking what's not theirs, I never ever need it again with the same kid. I don't really need to add anything to their shock at realizing violence is less fun when you're on the receiving end.

Now if only they stopped making new ones, or at least treated them better... It seems a lot of my relatives are proud of the mistakes of our ancestors, and eager to repeat them with great diligence.

Of course, it's not all black and white and there are varying degrees of violence you can inflict... but I still don't see how you can think it's okay if "they hit 1st". It sounds rather childish to me, and I don't buy that it's very effective, especially since you reveal that there are instances where they hit.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Re:

#22  Postby tatertail » Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Yeah I've heard of the concept of doing to the child whatever they're doing to someone else in order to show them that it hurts. I'm not sure how good a parenting technique it is though.

:withstupid:

Sorry, I've wanted to do that ever since I saw your name ... :grin:

Not quite ... for example if one of them is hitting another on top of his head with a metal toy car, I will not be doing that to him. I never used any implements, and never hit them anywhere else but the arm or shoulder, since that's a very unlikely place to cause permanent damage, or cause them to fall over or any other additional unintended harm. And certainly not hard enough to cause a bruise.

I guess it works because it jars them from the sense that pain is something that happens to other people only, or maybe to disturb their sense of having a good time. But seriously, when they make someone else (or me) bleed, I'm not in the slightest eager to do it back. Frankly the mere suggestion makes me feel ill. THEIR violence is wild and out of control, that's no excuse for me to join the party.
tatertail

Print view this post

#23  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 02, 2010 9:33 pm

tatertail wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Yeah I've heard of the concept of doing to the child whatever they're doing to someone else in order to show them that it hurts. I'm not sure how good a parenting technique it is though.

:withstupid:

Sorry, I've wanted to do that ever since I saw your name ... :grin:

Not quite ... for example if one of them is hitting another on top of his head with a metal toy car, I will not be doing that to him. I never used any implements, and never hit them anywhere else but the arm or shoulder, since that's a very unlikely place to cause permanent damage, or cause them to fall over or any other additional unintended harm. And certainly not hard enough to cause a bruise.

I guess it works because it jars them from the sense that pain is something that happens to other people only, or maybe to disturb their sense of having a good time. But seriously, when they make someone else (or me) bleed, I'm not in the slightest eager to do it back. Frankly the mere suggestion makes me feel ill. THEIR violence is wild and out of control, that's no excuse for me to join the party.

How about going one further and not hit at all?
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby tatertail » Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:How about going one further and not hit at all?

I'm not going to wait until they listen when damage is being done, sorry. If I see a quicker way to make it stop, sure, I will go for that. Every time I can. But I'm not willing to risk the same child, or a pet, being hurt again because the message wasn't overwhelmingly clear the first time.

If that makes me an evil, violent person, well, I'll just live with it.
tatertail

Print view this post

Re: Spanking

#25  Postby Julia » Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:
All I know is, as far as I'm concerned, if you can't discipline your child without effectively using physical violence, you're not a very good parent from my opinion.

:cheers:

Yup. :thumbup:
Julia

Name: Julia
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Julia » Mar 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Xeno wrote:I posted about this on RDF a while ago. Do we have search access to that archive?

My summary position is that I see no value and potential harm in the habit.

And most psychologists and pediatricians agree with you.
Julia

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 03, 2010 12:33 am

tatertail wrote:

I'm not going to wait until they listen when damage is being done, sorry. If I see a quicker way to make it stop, sure, I will go for that. Every time I can. But I'm not willing to risk the same child, or a pet, being hurt again because the message wasn't overwhelmingly clear the first time.

It doesn't mean that you're an evil, violent person, but it does say something about your parenting skills.

How are you teaching not to hit by doing that very thing?
Apparently, you have a recurring problem with your kids hitting each other/pets. Ever wonder if you may be the cause?
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby MoonLit » Mar 03, 2010 5:45 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:
tatertail wrote:

It doesn't mean that you're an evil, violent person, but it does say something about your parenting skills.

How are you teaching not to hit by doing that very thing?
Apparently, you have a recurring problem with your kids hitting each other/pets. Ever wonder if you may be the cause?

I wonder the same.

Never understood the point in using violence (spanking) in an attempt to teach a child not to use violence (hitting)

It makes no sense at all. :scratch: To me it's the same as teaching a child that it's okay to hit someone else to get what they want.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby MysteryTupperware » Mar 03, 2010 5:53 am

As a few of you maybe remember, I'm a quadruplet, so my siblings and me, we were at the same stage, and raised at the same time throughout out childhood. Although, that didn't stop my parents from treating us differently. They never hit my sister and me, but they did that to my two brothers. Guess who grew up to be the violent ones who believes hitting is always the answer to everything? Yes, you are right, my brothers. They have calmed down now, but still they don't think twice before using violence as a mean to solve a problem. By many parents logic, the message should have been pretty clear, shouldn't it? Looks like it didn't go through, despite their efforts. Just sayin'...

So, yeah, I agree with most people here; spanking clearly says something about the parents and their parenting techniques, and I don't agree with it. I've promised myself that if I ever get kids, I won't use violence against them. That's just wrong in every way in my book.
MysteryTupperware

Print view this post

#30  Postby akigr8 » Mar 03, 2010 8:17 am

I would rather have a spanking then being subject to psychological punishment.

I had to stand hours in a corner in the livingroom for something as trivial as unintentionally spilling milk at the dinner table.
It became so bad that I started shaking when I reached for the glass and of course that made it even worse, making it a nice circle. And I couldn't say no because every little boy and girl must drink up their milk to be strong and healthy, but I learned to drink after I had eaten so I at least didn't have to stand hungry in a corner.
Not nice to do to a six year old.
I still don't drink while I eat while in company of other people, unless someone says skål/cheers or when I'm conscious about it.

The best is of course the way the super nanny does it.
But I would rather have my bottom smacked, and getting the punishment over with, than psychological punishment for hours.
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#31  Postby tatertail » Mar 03, 2010 10:57 am

You're working off assumptions, and simply disbelieving what I'm saying.

I can't argue under those circumstances, so I guess you win? A bit disappointing, anyway.
tatertail

Print view this post

#32  Postby natselrox » Mar 03, 2010 11:07 am

Here's a third-rate joker...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4oO7ZdfSFI[/youtube]
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#33  Postby akigr8 » Mar 03, 2010 11:19 am

:lol:
good one nats :thumbup:

akigr8

Print view this post

#34  Postby Soopercynic » Mar 03, 2010 11:42 am

I was spanked as a kid, not the drop your pants bend over kind but if, for example, I played with the gas on the oven I got the back of my legs slapped. It was very rare, I can't remember a specific example and only when I was younger. Actually I think I only have my parents word for it to be honest.

Discipline that I do remember was a naughty step, that sucked, and everyone who passed could ask what you did and you had to tell them. Although, I just got better at not getting caught. :thumbup:

I have no kids, I have no idea my views, I would hope I would not need to - perfectly behaved kids are possible right?
Soopercynic

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re:

#35  Postby Julia » Mar 03, 2010 12:38 pm

akigr8 wrote:I would rather have a spanking then being subject to psychological punishment.

I had to stand hours in a corner in the livingroom for something as trivial as unintentionally spilling milk at the dinner table.
It became so bad that I started shaking when I reached for the glass and of course that made it even worse, making it a nice circle. And I couldn't say no because every little boy and girl must drink up their milk to be strong and healthy, but I learned to drink after I had eaten so I at least didn't have to stand hungry in a corner.
I still don't drink while I eat while in company of other people, unless someone says skål/cheers or when I'm conscious about it.

But I would rather have my bottom smacked, and getting the punishment over with, than psychological punishment for hours.

That wasn't punishment--that was sadism. Sorry you grew-up with that :shock: :(
Julia

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby akigr8 » Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Julia wrote:
akigr8 wrote:I would rather have a spanking then being subject to psychological punishment.

That wasn't punishment--that was sadism. Sorry you grew-up with that :shock: :(

It was my step-dad that did this, and he had been brought up this way by his parents. It was supposed to make me stronger. :roll:
Got a new step-dad when I was eight, and he was a lot less strict.

akigr8

Print view this post

#37  Postby Beatsong » Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:I accept that there could be a hypothetical situation where it might be appropriate, but I can't say I've ever seen it. Like shouting at kids, it tends to be the far more common situation that the parents is angry. It might be understandable, but I don't see it as the example of good parenting that some like to claim it is.

I remember hearing a sermon at a friend's church years ago about spanking. The preacher talked about how you should and shouldn't do it, telling the parents not to do it in anger, but to calm down 1st and then spank them.

To me, that seems more sick than spanking out of anger. It seems very cold to hit a kid with no emotion... not saying that doing it out of anger is good.

It's interesting you bring that up, because I recently had a HUGE bust-up argument with my wife on that very subject.

We have never spanked our kids, but the argument arose because a friend of mine had told me that he and his wife do spank their little boy. My reaction was "oh well, all parents are different and everyone's got their own way. Not for me to judge". She OTOH was absolutely horrified, almost to the point of questioning how I could continue to be friends with these people.

She made the same point you do: that a quick slap round the ear in anger might be understandable (if wrong), but the really horrible thing is how a parent can cool down, and then spank their child in a completely calculating way. I not only disagree but actually think the direct opposite.

All the evidence I've seen about effects of punishment on kids points to two conclusions:

1. Physical punishment is not by definition different, or worse, in its effect than psychological punishment. It's perfectly possible to destroy everything that is positive in a child's psyche and ruin them for life, without laying a single finger upon them.

2. The thing that DOES determine whether punishment traumatises a child long-term, or whether it just "works" in terms of changing their behaviour and then passes into history, is whether it is presented, and understood by the child, as a component of a reasonable and coherent system of right and wrong, cause and effect.

A child may know that it's wrong to steal, and the punishment for doing so might be a week without TV, or four strokes of the cane on his hand. If he then steals something anyway, and is caught, and the parent explains that "well, you knew how it is, and you broke the rules" and administers the punishment, then there's no reason why that punishment will have any negative lasting effects upon him - whether it's the cane or the TV.

OTOH, consider the situation where the child comes home from school one day and the parent is more tired / angry / drunk / whatever then usual. The child relates something that happened in the classroom involving the disapproval of his teacher - something minor, which wouldn't normally result in any substantial punishment at all, and the parent loses his rag and lashes out at the child, giving him a good beating AND sending him to his room with no TV.

What the child learns from this is nothing to do with right and wrong, morality or cause and effect. Indeed it is destructive to his sense of cause and effect because every other time he's come home and said something like that, there's been no punishment. The only thing that the child learns from this is that his environment - including most particularly the significant adults in it - is a scary and unpredictable place over which he has no control, and which will react as it capriciously reacts regardless of his behaviour. This is wholly negative.

Now when a parent "lashes out" in anger or desperation to control a child's behaviour in the heat of the moment, it's far more likely that this will resemble the second scenario above. Not always in an extreme way, but the emotional charge behind the parent's actions means that they are not really appraising things reliably in terms of coherent moral teaching. If they remove themselves from the situation, then come back later that day to administer the punishement, then they will be in a much better position to determine whether there actually IS a punishment to reasonably be administered. If there isn't, then they can just say "oh well, maybe I overreacted, but don't do it again, huh?"

All punishment should be administered dispassionately. That's the only way to ensure that it IS actually punishment, and not something else in disguise. But paradoxically, the idea of doing it that way frightens some people because they have to then really admit the need for it, whereas when its done emotionally they can half-pretend that it's not really happening.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Just a quick reply to the top few paragraphs:
I don't think it's right to do it in anger or in a cold manner, but I could understand the former. People make mistakes, and when a kid's about to run into the street, sometimes your 1st instinct is to tap them on the butt and tell them no.
I am not excusing it though.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re:

#39  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 03, 2010 6:41 pm

tatertail wrote:You're working off assumptions, and simply disbelieving what I'm saying.

I can't argue under those circumstances, so I guess you win? A bit disappointing, anyway.

I don't want to "win". I want to have a dialogue going.

Please tell me where I was working off assumptions, so I can correct my viewpoint.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby cathyincali » Mar 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I think I may differ from many of you in my feelings about punishment. Not just corporal punishment, but all punishment... When I had a problem, it didn't occur to me to think, "What should the punishment be?"

"Consequences" is an over-used word that many people use to replace the word, but not the idea of, punishment; however, there are sometimes consequences to actions, and when there were, my kids often had to face them. For example, when my kids were very young, two of them had experiences of "stealing": they picked something up at the store and didn't pay for it. (They were 3 to 5 years old, and the items were small and inexpensive.) When I found out, we both went back to the store to return the items. In one case, my daughter returned it and apologized for stealing, and although she was embarrassed and NEVER wanted to feel that way again, she wasn't completely mortified, and it has never come up since. The other daughter was very, very shy and couldn't possibly talk to the shopkeeper, so I did the returning, the talking, and the apologizing, and she just stood there clinging to my hand and feeling bad. I didn't do extravagant things to shame them, we just made it right. To me, that is a consequence and not a punishment.

Actual consequences worked even when they were older. Even teens. If I was unhappy with some behavior, I told them so. If there was a natural consequence that the child/teen could and should bear, I let them. (Like having to replace something they broke out of major carelessness.) I was probably lucky that my kids were pretty well behaved, but mutual respect and trust, lots of communication, high expectations, modeling, and natural consequences made punishment pretty much unnecessary.

(Obviously I made mistakes and shouted at times and hit that one time I already admitted somewhere in the posts above. Also, my kids were not perfect and remain imperfect.)

So...what do you think? Is it just semantics? Are punishments, per se, administered in "cold blood" or while angry even necessary?
cathyincali

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education