Sport Stars Slam Gove's School Punishment Plan

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Sport Stars Slam Gove's School Punishment Plan

#1  Postby HomerJay » Feb 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Leading athletes are among thousands who have condemned Michael Gove's decision to punish children with exercise.

More than 8,000 people have signed a petition against the education secretary’s guidance that lists "extra physical activity such as running around a playing field" as a recommended punishment...

The petition was set up by former head of Conservative Future, Gavin Megaw, and calls on the education secretary to remove the guidance.

He said: "It sends the wrong message that physical activity, in particular running, is a negative action and not something to enjoy rather than something that ensures a healthy mind and body."

Carrie Lynch, head teacher at designated sports college Great Baddow High School, said: "We want young people to value health and fitness throughout their lives so we certainly would not want them to perceive exercise as a punishment."

Announcing the guidance earlier this month, Mr Gove said teachers must "get tough" on pupils.

http://news.sky.com/story/1216322/sport ... hment-plan
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sport Stars Slam Gove's School Punishment Plan

#2  Postby UncertainSloth » Feb 24, 2014 5:57 pm

much the same reason why 'lines' and essays went out of fashion...using literacy as a punishment...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » Feb 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Does this look like a kid that enjoyed cross country runs?

“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby HomerJay » Feb 24, 2014 6:03 pm

His original suggestion was that punishment should be left to the fags but people pointed out there were no fags in state schools.

Gove calls for state schools to be more like private schools

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26015535
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oeditor » Mar 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Getting PE a bad name? It's got a bad name for most children, that's why Gove's selected it as a (cruel and unnatural) punishment. As for fags, if they catch any staff pupils with them they'll no doubt send them running - benignly, to get the CO out of their systems, of course.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education