State schools ‘an open door for evangelical groups,’

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

State schools ‘an open door for evangelical groups,’

#1  Postby HomerJay » Oct 11, 2013 9:34 am

Evangelical Christian groups committed to converting young people are being allowed access to children in state schools because of the marginalisation of religious education, a new study warns.

The report, by the National Secular Society (NSS), calls on the Government to introduce a stricter code of conduct to prevent visiting groups “proselytising” during RE lessons.

The report claims that the squeezing of RE in the curriculum and the absence of trained RE teachers has created an “open door” for evangelical groups to push creationism and their own brand of sex education.

Head teachers’ leaders warned that “a line is crossed” when religious theories such as creationism were taught as if they were scientific theories. However, groups named in the report were quick to deny any suggestion they were “proselytising”. The report says: “The low priority given to RE and collective worship in many schools, combined with the short supply of qualified RE teachers and general pressure to provide sufficient teaching hours provides an ideal environment for evangelical groups to exploit.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 72452.html

Report available here:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/uploads/ev ... chools.pdf

As schools out source servies it's not just RE that the wankers move in on, our schools used to employ the YMCA to give the kids PE.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: State schools ‘an open door for evangelical groups,’

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 11, 2013 9:43 am

Simple solution is to ban RE. We don't have it in our state schools.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: State schools ‘an open door for evangelical groups,’

#3  Postby chairman bill » Oct 11, 2013 9:55 am

I wouldn't ban RE - understanding the prevailing supernaturalist fuckwitteries is potentially useful stuff to know about.

As for the collective worship bit - I think this puts the UK in breach of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, though nobody in authority seems to give a shit. Why kids should be pressured into engaging in Christian occult practices, supposedly conjuring up supernatural entities & shit, is beyond me. But let's be quite clear - prayer is an attempt to invoke a supernatural entity, and just because some call that entity God, doesn't make it any different from a practice to invoke one called Beelzebub or Set. If it were the latter, stand by for a massive complaint from the church & the establishment.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education