Texas city revives paddling

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Texas city revives paddling

#1  Postby MoonLit » Apr 17, 2010 3:48 am

Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

TEMPLE, TEX. -- In an era when students talk back to teachers, skip class and wear ever-more-risque clothing to school, one central Texas city has hit upon a deceptively simple solution: Bring back the paddle.

Most school districts across the country banned paddling of students long ago. Texas sat that trend out. Nearly a quarter of the estimated 225,000 students who received corporal punishment nationwide in 2006, the latest figures available, were from the Lone Star State.

Washington Post - Read more here

I'm highly amused by this.
Not only does paddling cause students to loose any respect for the administrators who does it, but it's still the easier and quicker way out of punishment.

I wish that had paddling in my schools! I'd had taken that over being stuck in a class room, doing nothing but paper work in silence all school day. :lol:

Of course, a student may decide to just punch the teacher back in self-defense of course. ;)
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Texas city revives paddling

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 17, 2010 5:03 am

Girls get paddled for wearing risque clothing?

Their parents must have let them leave the house dressed like that, so I don't think this is a good solution whatsoever!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby farquezy » Apr 19, 2010 1:04 am

what a bunch of uncivilized, inhuman, barbarians
wow...
farquezy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mmmcheezy » Apr 19, 2010 1:07 am

Absolutely disgusting.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby hotshoe » Apr 19, 2010 1:28 am

Spearthrower wrote:Girls get paddled for wearing risque clothing?

Their parents must have let them leave the house dressed like that, so I don't think this is a good solution whatsoever!

Better answer - have the school keep a loaner stock of ugly but respectable clothes and make them change when they have dressed out-of-bounds. One day sitting in classes in the ugly clothes would cure most teenagers of the desire to be too risque at school, ever again.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby cathyincali » Apr 19, 2010 5:30 am

I worked at a school that still had paddling in the late 1970s (in So. California), and the only time it impacted one of my students it was spectacularly unsuccessful. (I didn't know they had that policy, once I found out, I never sent a kid to the office again.)

I had an 8-year-old girl who had a really terrible attitude, and I had been told in my first days as a teacher to send her to the office if I had a problem with her. Well, of course, she refused to cooperate by going to the office, so I called the office. Our big, burly male vice-principal came and couldn't get her to let go of her desk and ended up dragging the desk all the way to the door (clanking one student) before he could get her free of it. So then he bodily carries her to the male principal, who was chatting with a male police officer (yes, it was a very "tough" school in a very "tough" neighborhood). The vice-p. held her while the principal paddled her, and then they sent her back to me (a short, young, newbie teacher). Of course, why would they think she would cooperate by walking back to class? She flipped off the three adult males who had done this punishment.

So they did it again. She flipped them off again. They did it a third time and didn't let her go but just brought her back to me with her arms pinned to her body.

Oh, yeah, she was really cooperative after that (not!)...Actually, when you come to think of it, good for her standing up to those men!

(Most of this description is based on the principal's retelling of events. Like I said, I was shocked corporal punishment was allowed. I never called the office again for discipline problems. Which I had a fair amount of, especially from this girl.)
cathyincali

Print view this post

#7  Postby virphen » Apr 19, 2010 5:32 am

I don't get how that wouldn't be considered assault, plain and simple.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby byofrcs » Apr 19, 2010 5:40 am

Why can't they just use Tazers when you want compliance ?. Jeez this is the 21st Century. Spanking is so Victorian.

Still the spanking videos would probably sell quite well and make a nice little earner for the school administration.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 20, 2010 6:35 am

Valden wrote:I wish that had paddling in my schools! I'd had taken that over being stuck in a class room, doing nothing but paper work in silence all school day.

I would have loved doing paperwork in silence for the whole day. Being stuck in a classroom full of obnoxiously chattering kids was what got to me.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby jaydot » Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm

shux, i thought we were gonna talk about paddling pools like the kiddies use, not reversion to barbarism.
jaydot

Print view this post

#11  Postby Propagangster » Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey, if they need their paddling so much, they should just take Céline Dion's advice and Grab a Kayak!
Propagangster

Name: François
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Wow, thick cunts can't control a classroom, so they take it out on the kids. :roll: Seriously, I know we sometimes get criticised for elitism on this site, but you've got to be thick as pig shit if this is your best solution to classroom discipline. :crazy: I'm sorry, you're just a shit parent or a shit teacher. Get the fuck out of the profession and let someone with half a brain do it instead.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Kirsten » Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Insane. People like that shouldn't be near children, let alone in a position of authority.
Kirsten

Female

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#14  Postby pennypitstop » Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Perhaps they've been reading too much of this book...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1892112000?ie=UTF8&tag=theblackboard-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1892112000

Yup, the Pearl's book on how to abuse your children from 4 months onward.

Sick.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby MoonLit » Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

pennypitstop wrote:Perhaps they've been reading too much of this book...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1892112000?ie=UTF8&tag=theblackboard-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1892112000

Sick.

Actually, it starts even younger. Parents are recommended to pull the hair of their nursing infants if it bites. :ill: That's just as disgusting as flicking it's cheek. :nono:

Barnes and Noble no longer sells this book.

Here are some details:

1) The Pearls recommend whipping infants only a few months old on their bare skin. They describe whipping their own 4 month old daughter (p.9). They recommend whipping the bare skin of "every child" (p.2) for "Christians and non-Christians" (p.5) and for "every transgression" (p.1). Parents who don't whip their babies into complete submission are portrayed as indifferent, lazy, careless and neglectful (p.19) and are "creating a Nazi" (p.45).

2) On p.60 they recommend whipping babies who cannot sleep and are crying, and to never allow them "to get up." On p.61 they recommend whipping a 12 month old girl for crying. On p.79 they recommend whipping a 7 month old for screaming.

3) On p.65 co-author Debi Pearl whips the bare leg of a 15 month old she is babysitting, 10 separate times, for not playing with something she tells him to play with. On p.56 Debi Pearl hits a 2 year old so hard "a karate chop like wheeze came from somewhere deep inside."

4) On p.44 they say not to let the child's crying while being hit to "cause you to lighten up on the intensity or duration of the spanking." On p.59 they recommend whipping a 3 year old until he is "totally broken."

5) On p.55 the Pearls say a mother should hit her child if he cries for her.

6) On p.46 the Pearls say that if a child does obey before being whipped, whip them anyway. And "if you have to sit on him to spank him, then do not hesitate. And hold him there until he is surrendered. Prove that you are bigger, tougher." "Defeat him totally." On p.80 they recommend giving a child having a tantrum "a swift *forceful* spanking." On the same page they say to whip small children on their bare skin until they stop screaming. "Don't be bullied. Give him more of the same." They say to continue whipping until their crying turns into a "wounded, submissive whimper."

7) On p.47 they recommend their various whips, including "a belt or larger tree branch" to hit children.

8) The Pearls recommend pulling a nursing infant's hair (p.7), and describe tripping their non-swimming toddler so she falls into deep water (p.67). They recommend ignoring an infant's bumped head when he falls to the floor, and ignoring skinned knees (p.86). They also say "if your child is roughed-up by peers, rejoice." (p.81) And on p.103 the Pearls say if children lose their shoes, "let them go without until they (the children) can make the money to buy more."

9) The Pearls claim their "training" methods are Godly, yet they have *no religious training or credentials* They never mention Jesus' injunctions to forgive "seventy times seven" and be merciful, and they decry the "extraordinary ingnorance of modern psychology."

The Pearls' methods have resulted in parents being investigated by Child Protective Services, children being taken away from parents, a restraining order against a father, and even a babysitter going to jail on felony charges!

:yuk:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Tbickle » Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

We just keep moving backwards... :nono:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#17  Postby GreyICE » Apr 22, 2010 5:14 pm

What's the goal? Cause sufficient amounts of pain to cause compliance? I hate to break it to them, pain tolerance is pain tolerance, and if you've caused enough pain to break mine, you've cause permanent physical damage or are using electricity. I'd just laugh at that now, and I'd probably consider it a badge of pride at 15. I mean what are they going to do, cause a little bit of temporary pain? I've broken bones and sliced open skin, I've walked on a broken foot and operated for hours with a broken arm, I can live with a bloody paddle.

I'm not boasting here, I'm saying that for a large section of the population, this is utterly ineffectual. Not to mention a small violation of, oh, this little UN treaty we're signatories to:

Article 19

1. States Parties shall take all appropriate legislative, administrative, social and educational measures to protect the child from all forms of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect or negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual abuse, while in the care of parent(s), legal guardian(s) or any other person who has the care of the child.
http://www.crin.org/docs/resources/treaties/uncrc.asp
GreyICE

Name: Kiss my ass

Print view this post

#18  Postby Millefleur » Apr 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Valden wrote:
pennypitstop wrote:Perhaps they've been reading too much of this book...

Sick.

Actually, it starts even younger. Parents are recommended to pull the hair of their nursing infants if it bites. :ill: That's just as disgusting as flicking it's cheek. :nono:

Barnes and Noble no longer sells this book.

Here are some details:

1) The Pearls recommend whipping infants only a few months old on their bare skin. They describe whipping their own 4 month old daughter (p.9). They recommend whipping the bare skin of "every child" (p.2) for "Christians and non-Christians" (p.5) and for "every transgression" (p.1). Parents who don't whip their babies into complete submission are portrayed as indifferent, lazy, careless and neglectful (p.19) and are "creating a Nazi" (p.45).

2) On p.60 they recommend whipping babies who cannot sleep and are crying, and to never allow them "to get up." On p.61 they recommend whipping a 12 month old girl for crying. On p.79 they recommend whipping a 7 month old for screaming.

3) On p.65 co-author Debi Pearl whips the bare leg of a 15 month old she is babysitting, 10 separate times, for not playing with something she tells him to play with. On p.56 Debi Pearl hits a 2 year old so hard "a karate chop like wheeze came from somewhere deep inside."

4) On p.44 they say not to let the child's crying while being hit to "cause you to lighten up on the intensity or duration of the spanking." On p.59 they recommend whipping a 3 year old until he is "totally broken."

5) On p.55 the Pearls say a mother should hit her child if he cries for her.

6) On p.46 the Pearls say that if a child does obey before being whipped, whip them anyway. And "if you have to sit on him to spank him, then do not hesitate. And hold him there until he is surrendered. Prove that you are bigger, tougher." "Defeat him totally." On p.80 they recommend giving a child having a tantrum "a swift *forceful* spanking." On the same page they say to whip small children on their bare skin until they stop screaming. "Don't be bullied. Give him more of the same." They say to continue whipping until their crying turns into a "wounded, submissive whimper."

7) On p.47 they recommend their various whips, including "a belt or larger tree branch" to hit children.

8) The Pearls recommend pulling a nursing infant's hair (p.7), and describe tripping their non-swimming toddler so she falls into deep water (p.67). They recommend ignoring an infant's bumped head when he falls to the floor, and ignoring skinned knees (p.86). They also say "if your child is roughed-up by peers, rejoice." (p.81) And on p.103 the Pearls say if children lose their shoes, "let them go without until they (the children) can make the money to buy more."

9) The Pearls claim their "training" methods are Godly, yet they have *no religious training or credentials* They never mention Jesus' injunctions to forgive "seventy times seven" and be merciful, and they decry the "extraordinary ingnorance of modern psychology."

The Pearls' methods have resulted in parents being investigated by Child Protective Services, children being taken away from parents, a restraining order against a father, and even a babysitter going to jail on felony charges!

:yuk:

That is absolutely shocking :shock: I take it from your location that this is by Americans? In the UK you wouldn't be able to publish and sell such a book, it'd be used as evidence by the police and social services when they place your children in foster care and most likely the parents in prison...
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby NineOneFour » Apr 24, 2010 11:56 am

Valden wrote:
Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

TEMPLE, TEX. -- In an era when students talk back to teachers, skip class and wear ever-more-risque clothing to school, one central Texas city has hit upon a deceptively simple solution: Bring back the paddle.

Most school districts across the country banned paddling of students long ago. Texas sat that trend out. Nearly a quarter of the estimated 225,000 students who received corporal punishment nationwide in 2006, the latest figures available, were from the Lone Star State.

Washington Post - Read more here

I'm highly amused by this.
Not only does paddling cause students to loose any respect for the administrators who does it, but it's still the easier and quicker way out of punishment.

I wish that had paddling in my schools! I'd had taken that over being stuck in a class room, doing nothing but paper work in silence all school day. :lol:

Of course, a student may decide to just punch the teacher back in self-defense of course. ;)

Ever been to Temple?

Yeaaaahhhh......
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Julia » Apr 24, 2010 1:42 pm

re the Pearl book:

Omigod! Unbelievable! This is HOW you turn a kid into a Nazi--who are they kidding???
Julia

Name: Julia
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education