the trouble I have with learning - solutions needed

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

the trouble I have with learning - solutions needed

#1  Postby roybatty » Mar 17, 2010 2:47 am

I'm brushing up on my computer programming skills and doing a bunch of reading.

I find I can only get so much reading and understanding done before my brain stops being able to process and keep failing to follow what I'm reading. I feel like I'm wasting my time and give up until tomorrow when I'm refreshed.

However, I'm only able to get a couple hours in before I need to be refreshed. I need to be able to go at least eight.

If this is a barrier you experience, have you figured out a way to get over it? If so, share.
roybatty

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: the trouble I have with learning - solutions needed

#2  Postby King David » Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm the same way. I don't think its as much a "problem" as it is that the human brain was not evolved to engage in the same tedious task for eight hours uninterrupted. Take periodic breaks, go for a walk, think of something else for a while, do something fun. You can't retain information well when you are frustrated. I can't at least.
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby roybatty » Mar 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks.

Thinking of trying adderol.
roybatty

Print view this post

#4  Postby z8000783 » Mar 22, 2010 11:09 pm

You can't learn to ride a bike by reading a book.

Perhaps if you start doing some of it you won't need to do as much reading and what you do will stick better.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 27, 2010 6:21 am

Well, study in short bursts, firstly, secondly use a notetaking method such as mind-mapping or concept mapping, you can cover a lot of material very quickly in that way, and try mixing a bit of a practical element during study.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jaydot » Mar 27, 2010 6:42 am

don't even try. turn everything into a game and be a child again. watch children if necessary to refresh your memory and then flit from flower to flower like a butterfly. you won't notice when you become absorbed to the point where your belly thinks your throat's been cut, or your bladder is shrieking for relief. there's your give-yourself-a-break point when you mosey off for a little light entertainment.

learn by absorption, by far the best way.
jaydot

Print view this post

#7  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 27, 2010 8:29 am

z8000783 wrote:You can't learn to ride a bike by reading a book.

Perhaps if you start doing some of it you won't need to do as much reading and what you do will stick better.

John

I think this is great advice, if you are able to do that. Try playing around with your own program and you may find yourself indulged in trying to make it work and finding solutions that will make it work.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Teshi » Apr 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Why do you "need" to do this for eight hours in a row? It sounds like torture.
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

roybatty wrote:I'm brushing up on my computer programming skills and doing a bunch of reading.

I find I can only get so much reading and understanding done before my brain stops being able to process and keep failing to follow what I'm reading. I feel like I'm wasting my time and give up until tomorrow when I'm refreshed.

However, I'm only able to get a couple hours in before I need to be refreshed. I need to be able to go at least eight.

If this is a barrier you experience, have you figured out a way to get over it? If so, share.

By thinking of it as a problem you are making it so. Instead, consider that you are probably actually being extremely efficient in those 2 hours, and simply need to structure in breaks. I have real difficulty working for extended periods as my brain has a tendency to go off at tangents, and I mentally wander off into connected ideas. To deal with it find something that permits you to 'escape' for a moment. That involves leaving the area you are studying in, leaving the room preferably... perhaps a quick walk down the shops, or a potter round the garden for 20 minutes, or anything that requires little to no thought such as a manual chore like sweeping. If you can find your rhythm, you will increase your productivity.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education