UK: changes to A level philosophy syllabus

in comes compulsory philosophy of religion

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

UK: changes to A level philosophy syllabus

#1  Postby Aca » Jan 29, 2014 8:46 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ?CMP=fb_ot

Philosophy is not religion. It must not be taught that way

A new draft syllabus for A-Level philosophy has been published. Out goes free will and aesthetics – in comes compulsory philosophy of religion

For A-level students in the UK, there is only one exam board that runs a real philosophy course. And that's about to be changed into yet another religious education course.

For the last nine years, I have taught the AQA's A-level philosophy course. It's a good course, and the only one to represent the breadth of philosophy as a discipline in its own right. So I was somewhat surprised to learn that the AQA have this week, without warning or consultation, published a completely new draft syllabus, which is now just waiting to be rubber-stamped by Ofqual.

The new specification completely excludes the previous options to study aesthetics, free will, all European philosophy since Kant, and – most significantly – political philosophy. This will be all replaced with a compulsory philosophy of religion topic, which will make up 50% of the AS course.

The exam board will also reduce the marks given for students' ability to critique and construct arguments, and more marks will be given for simply knowing the theories involved. Essentially, where young philosophers were previously rewarded for being able to think for themselves and question the role of government, the new course can only be passed by students who can regurgitate classic defences of the existence and perfection of God.

It would not be difficult to see, were one looking for such things, a rather sinister agenda in all this. Secular students who consider the question of God to be irrelevant to their lives will simply not have any other option if they wish to be philosophers.

:thumbdown:
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: UK: changes to A level philosophy syllabus

#2  Postby Arnold Layne » Jan 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Where's that thread "Is there any progress in philosophy?" :ask:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Jan 29, 2014 9:36 pm

I wonder who decided this should be so?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Jan 29, 2014 11:18 pm

More state-sanctioned fuckwittery.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HomerJay » Jan 29, 2014 11:41 pm

I imagine this has been driven by trying to convert numbers from the GCSE RE courses.

When I were a lad we couldn't do Philosophy A Level because, back then, there was only one board offering it and our school didn't work with that board.

We did A Level logic instead, which then was thought to be useful for computer studies. That is less relevant now and AFAIK A Level Logic has been replaced now by Critical Thinking.

Nowadays a lot of the RE GCSE courses offer modules in philosophy and a lot of the philosophy in schools is taught by religious fuckwits. The Religious Education nutters have tried to sex up RE by making it 'Philosophy'.

At my son's school I was impressed to see a GCSE in Philosophy and Ethics, upon further investigation it transpired it was RE and it was actually (New Testament) Philosophy and Ethics. I pointed out the irony of misleading children about a course on Ethics to the RE teacher working the stall. We didn't get on.

Compulsory RE, which has been sexed up to include Philosophy, combined with GCSE RE that includes Fauxlosophy means that uptake and success in A Level Philosophy may be higher if it builds on the previous knowledge.

Fuckers the lot of them.

*** The British Human Association and now, to some extent, the National Secular Society have bought into this bullshit by calling for a combined RE and Philosophy syllabus. So the organised atheists can accept some of the blame IMO***
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Of course, teaching children to question assertions is regarded as dangerous by governments the world over, but it's no surprise to see this turning up under Gove's watch.

Without proper provisions protecting the National Curriculum from blatant political interference of this sort, we could be in danger of seeing our education system going down the same S-bend as the American system.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Matthew Shute » Jan 30, 2014 2:53 am

The exam board will also reduce the marks given for students' ability to critique and construct arguments, and more marks will be given for simply knowing the theories involved.

"Let's keep all that philosophising nonsense to a minimum; it's a philosophy course, after all." :picard:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rumraket » Feb 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Holy fuck this is disgusting.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2014 10:34 am

Philosophy is a waste of time and money. Why waste school resources on such a wasteful subject.

The same is true of universities.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby hackenslash » Feb 04, 2014 10:41 am

:nono:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2014 10:51 am

:nod:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Any course at A level should be focusing on students thinking for themselves not regurgitating set texts verbatim. The old course sounds far more intellectually challenging. I suspect political interference here given the emphasis on the inclusion
of religion. That in and of itself would not be a problem as long as critical thinking was required too. But to reduce marks
for actually employing any is a complete mockery of what education is about so I hope this course does not become popular
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#13  Postby ED209 » Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Another fucking vandalism on education.

Of course what I really want to know is will students taking the new god-infused philosophy qualification be better or poorer equipped to post in the philosophy forum, and will they be certified to safely use the 'thumbs up' functionality? :ask:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#14  Postby mindhack » Feb 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Philosophy is a waste of time and money. Why waste school resources on such a wasteful subject.

The same is true of universities.

:ask:
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#15  Postby chairman bill » Feb 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Since when was the Soviet flag a cipher for misinformed fuckwittery? Oh, yes, I see your point.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby mindhack » Feb 06, 2014 3:56 pm

chairman bill wrote:Since when was the Soviet flag a cipher for misinformed fuckwittery? Oh, yes, I see your point.

I would have posted an image of anti-intellectual fucktard Pol Pot but found the image less conveying.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 06, 2014 5:43 pm

mindhack wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Since when was the Soviet flag a cipher for misinformed fuckwittery? Oh, yes, I see your point.

I would have posted an image of anti-intellectual fucktard Pol Pot but found the image less conveying.

That could be interpreted as an insult.

Since when has intellectualism have anything to do with philosophy? Philosophy is a trough filled with public money as is the theology trough. You think it is acceptable for those who do fuck all for society to have their snouts in those troughs.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Shrunk » Feb 06, 2014 6:08 pm

For us non-Brits: Could you explain what "A-level" is? How old are these students? And would this be a compulsory course?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2014 6:10 pm

It stands for ''Advanced Level''. They're 18 when they take their exams after 2 years' work, and no, not compulsory. Pupils can leave school at 16, at which age they take their GCSE's.

Edit: it made more sense in the past, when GCSEs were called O-Levels (Ordinary Levels). So then it was General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level, then General Certificate of Education Advanced Level.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 08, 2014 1:00 am

Meanwhile, on a totally different note ...

Get yer Michael Gove bathroom light switch!

:mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education