What can Texas parents do to help their kids re: school?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

What can Texas parents do to help their kids re: school?

#1  Postby Ronja » Mar 16, 2010 8:59 am

The new curriculum decisions in Texas are appalling: http://galiberal.com/?p=8881 Among other things they erased Thomas Jefferson from the world history standards on Enlightenment thinking, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin" - !!!

Please share any ideas that can be useful for parents in Texas to support / help create a real education for their kids despite of their current Board of Education. Also ideas for future Board of Education elections should be useful.

Here's one idea: if you as a parent have time to read only one book on how your kids learn and how you can help them, please read "Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver. I loved it, and still return to it at times.
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can Image . And then when they come back, they can Image again." - Tigger
Ronja

Female

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What can Texas parents do to help their kids re: school?

#2  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 16, 2010 10:30 am

Pretty much leave, I'd say. There's no real secular private schools and those cost money.

What you haven't realized perhaps though is that due to sheer population, Texas textbooks are used nationwide in America - moving to another state guarantees the same curriculum.

So either find a secular private school or emigrate.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby MoonLit » Mar 16, 2010 10:56 am

NineOneFour wrote:Pretty much leave, I'd say. There's no real secular private schools and those cost money.

What you haven't realized perhaps though is that due to sheer population, Texas textbooks are used nationwide in America - moving to another state guarantees the same curriculum.

Or try homeschooling, if at all possible. There are some secular homeschooling text book suppliers. I wont be surprised if they see an increase in sales.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ronja » Mar 16, 2010 11:38 am

NineOneFour wrote:What you haven't realized perhaps though is that due to sheer population, Texas textbooks are used nationwide in America - moving to another state guarantees the same curriculum.

The reason I care is that I *have* realized that. I have no family in Texas, but a sister in Florida, a cousin in Massachusetts and another cousin in Oregon, and a number of friends and colleagues spread around various US states (most of them in New Jersey and California, though). Many of these people have children, some grandchildren, and I would not wish the kind of "textbooks" :yuk: that can come out of this curriculum decision on even the children of my worst enemy (if I had one).

More selfishly - crazy stuff like this does not stay in the US. It is actively exported and shamelessly promoted abroad, and some of this crap actually gets a hold, as for example the recent proposition in Uganda for that infamous kill-the-gays bill shows. I have experienced first hand how an evangelical teacher can initially react to atheist parents, here in secular Finland, and I am convinced that J.K. Rowling was more correct than she maybe cares to be, when she had Mad-Eye Moody exclaim: "Constant vigilance!"

We need to support the cause of rationality and evidence-based teaching and decision making wherever in the world that support is needed. Because next time it may be in our own region that support is needed.

So, lets not roll over and play dead yet! How can motivated teachers teach well despite of the now looming new "textbooks", how can parents and NGOs support such teachers, if needed all the way through court (it would be Scopes Monkey all over again...)? How can parents compensate for teachers who want to teach the prescribed crap, and most importantly: how do parents and teachers ensure that the same clowns do not make the next curriculum decisions? Does ACLU, American Atheists or American Humanist Association have some applicable howto-guides, for example?
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can Image . And then when they come back, they can Image again." - Tigger
Ronja

Female

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am

Ronja wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:What you haven't realized perhaps though is that due to sheer population, Texas textbooks are used nationwide in America - moving to another state guarantees the same curriculum.

The reason I care is that I *have* realized that. I have no family in Texas, but a sister in Florida, a cousin in Massachusetts and another cousin in Oregon, and a number of friends and colleagues spread around various US states (most of them in New Jersey and California, though). Many of these people have children, some grandchildren, and I would not wish the kind of "textbooks" :yuk: that can come out of this curriculum decision on even the children of my worst enemy (if I had one).

More selfishly - crazy stuff like this does not stay in the US. It is actively exported and shamelessly promoted abroad, and some of this crap actually gets a hold, as for example the recent proposition in Uganda for that infamous kill-the-gays bill shows. I have experienced first hand how an evangelical teacher can initially react to atheist parents, here in secular Finland, and I am convinced that J.K. Rowling was more correct than she maybe cares to be, when she had Mad-Eye Moody exclaim: "Constant vigilance!"

We need to support the cause of rationality and evidence-based teaching and decision making wherever in the world that support is needed. Because next time it may be in our own region that support is needed.

So, lets not roll over and play dead yet! How can motivated teachers teach well despite of the now looming new "textbooks", how can parents and NGOs support such teachers, if needed all the way through court (it would be Scopes Monkey all over again...)? How can parents compensate for teachers who want to teach the prescribed crap, and most importantly: how do parents and teachers ensure that the same clowns do not make the next curriculum decisions? Does ACLU, American Atheists or American Humanist Association have some applicable howto-guides, for example?

All good points - and I like Valden's idea of homeschooling.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ronja » Mar 16, 2010 11:54 am

Valden wrote:Or try homeschooling, if at all possible. There are some secular homeschooling text book suppliers. I wont be surprised if they see an increase in sales.

Wow! I typed "secular homeschooling" into Google some 15 min ago, and now I really, really must stop reading all the wonderful sites that popped up, if I am going to get my own studies advanced today at all. This was really encouraging. :clap:
Ronja

Female

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby MoonLit » Mar 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Ronja wrote:
Valden wrote:Or try homeschooling, if at all possible. There are some secular homeschooling text book suppliers. I wont be surprised if they see an increase in sales.

Wow! I typed "secular homeschooling" into Google some 15 min ago, and now I really, really must stop reading all the wonderful sites that popped up, if I am going to get my own studies advanced today at all. This was really encouraging. :clap:

:thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Move to another state. Preferable much farther north...
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#9  Postby Ronja » Mar 16, 2010 7:02 pm

There seems to be at least one on-line petition against the curriculum change: http://www.tfn.org/site/Survey?SURVEY_I ... R_REQUESTS

And on Facebook there is at least one group, with quite active discussion (the group already has over 2,000 members): http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=402323671205
Ronja

Female

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby purplerat » Mar 16, 2010 7:49 pm

NineOneFour wrote:Pretty much leave, I'd say. There's no real secular private schools and those cost money.

That's not entirely correct and a bit misleading. First off while the text books created based on the Texas curriculum will be used around the country it won't be nationwide as in every school using them. Most schools probably won't even get new books anytime soon with any of the Texas School Board inspired changes. Also there may very well be other books not based on the Texas curriculum especially if there is a demand.

Secondly text books do not determine curriculum. School boards determine curriculum and find the text that best fits. Not everything in the text being used is guaranteed to be in the curriculum and everything in the curriculum may not be in the text book. The text book is not the curriculum; more than one book, only part of a book or no book at all may be used in any given curriculum.

The best thing parents can do; Monitor the text being used, the official curriculum and what's actually being taught. It's not an easy task but at least with the internet and knowing specific areas to target in on it's not impossible.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education