What should a course on critical thinking include?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby Kasper G » Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

I am designing a new course in critical thinking, skepticism, rationality and argumentation. I would like it to have a focus that will enable participants to use their new skills right away, so I want the course to be very practical oriented.

The idea is that the course should give a good foundation for the participants to critically evaluate claims they might encounter in their daily life. The ideal for the course would be to immunize against pseudoscience and the like – naturally without telling the participants what to think, only how to think.

The course will be made available for anyone via a special offer under the Universities in my country, meaning that the participants will be adults from various backgrounds. Experience with these courses reveal that the participants are rarely young.

I am still collecting and researching relevant topics, and I would love to be inspired by your thoughts. What should such a course include?
Kasper G

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What should a course on critical thinking include?

#2  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2014 9:50 am

:wave:

Hello Kasper, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am

Kasper G wrote:

I am still collecting and researching relevant topics, and I would love to be inspired by your thoughts. What should such a course include?

For me skepticism boils down to removing yourself from a situation to think about it from all viewpoints. If you want some kind of framework for this you can look at the "6 thinking hats" http://www.debonoforschools.com/asp/six_hats.asp .

I don't personally use that sort of corporate junk in my day to day life, but if I was attempting to convey the idea of looking at problems from different angles, that is one method I would briefly run over.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Aug 26, 2014 10:14 am

Michael Shermer's 'Baloney detection kit' is worth a watch; http://www.questioneverything.ca/found/ ... ection_kit

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nicko » Aug 26, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Kasper.

I would say the starting point for any course in critical thinking would be explaining what an argument is (a series of premises advanced to support a conclusion). Move from there to the difference between valid/invalid, sound/unsound, true/untrue. This will lead you into explaining deductive logic, it's two valid forms (modus ponens and modus tollens) and the two classic invalid forms (known to one of my lecturers as "modus morons"). From thence into the common logical fallacies, then to inductive logic and the inherent problems with it.

A really good exercise is to have students take a piece of persuasive writing (ie. a newspaper op-ed), break it into its component premises, identify the conclusion (often not as straightforward as it might seem), eliminate rhetorical flourishes and re-organise the piece into a logical structure.

Good luck.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

For me, the starting point always has to be a single question:

'What is your justification for thinking that?'

All else flows from there.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 27, 2014 12:53 am

Rule One:-

Religion is bum-custard.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Nicko » Aug 27, 2014 3:49 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Rule One:-

Religion is bum-custard.

Actually, not a good starting point. It's probably best to use examples that none of the students are emotionally-invested in.

Once they are armed with the tools of critical thought they can work out for themselves that religion is bum-custard. After all, there's little more value in not believing in god(s) just because someone told you not to than there is in believing in god(s) just because someone told you to.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mazille » Aug 27, 2014 7:46 am

Maybe you could incorporate an insight into our inherent limitations of thought and perception, which can bias our understanding of the world. I did the gorilla experiment with a group of my students a couple of years ago and it worked like a charm. They were in their first semester of a social science-y discipline, though and knew next to nothing about anything, so it was rather easy to baffle and surprise them with it.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 27, 2014 8:12 am

Nicko wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:Rule One:-

Religion is bum-custard.

Actually, not a good starting point. It's probably best to use examples that none of the students are emotionally-invested in.

Once they are armed with the tools of critical thought they can work out for themselves that religion is bum-custard. After all, there's little more value in not believing in god(s) just because someone told you not to than there is in believing in god(s) just because someone told you to.

yeah i know! :dopey: :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#11  Postby murshid » Sep 06, 2014 9:24 am

You can check out this lecture course by Ray Hyman:
How To Think About Dubious Claims
Last edited by murshid on Sep 06, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 06, 2014 3:22 pm

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 07, 2014 1:16 am

A priori, EVERYTHING is bollocks until proved otherwise.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#14  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 07, 2014 1:21 am

Fuck the experts-they don't even believe in true Scottish people! :evilgrin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#15  Postby james1v » Sep 07, 2014 1:37 am

Carpet bombing Imams and extremist priests, of any religion? :think: Just a thought, off the top of me ed. :think:

It would certainly make for less victims, worldwide.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Nicko » Sep 07, 2014 2:14 am

I think some people are confusing "critical thinking" with "debunking things I don't agree with".

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Nicko » Sep 07, 2014 2:16 am

james1v wrote:Carpet bombing Imams and extremist priests, of any religion? :think: Just a thought, off the top of me ed. :think:

It would certainly make for less victims, worldwide.

This is certainly a suggestion that would benefit from being subjected to critical scrutiny.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby quas » Sep 11, 2014 11:24 am

One night stay in a locked up haunted premise would do the trick. Whoever loses his/her mind, fails the course.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#19  Postby Zwaarddijk » Sep 11, 2014 11:39 am

quas wrote:One night stay in a locked up haunted premise would do the trick. Whoever loses his/her mind, fails the course.

Doesn't that say more about suggestibility and disposition than about ability for critical thinking?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#20  Postby igorfrankensteen » Sep 11, 2014 11:50 am

I'd recommend a good section on SELLING THINGS. Specifically, you would want to directly address how sales techniques use emotion to overcome rationality, desire to overcome the will to be careful.

Another good element would be a course in Magic. How magic tricks are performed, especially including the fundamental of misdirection, and the way that magicians take advantage of an audience's existing myths and doubts.

One more requirement would be a solid grounding in how to conduct historical research. How to tell the difference between what someone SAYS happened, and what ACTUALLY happened. And, how to STOP a the point where you realize that you CAN'T prove that you know what actually happened.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Parenting & Education