Why I Raise My Children Without God

on CNN ireport

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why I Raise My Children Without God

#1  Postby Aca » Jan 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Apparently caused a bit of commotion on CNN website, and from what i understood, was taken down and then brought back up.

Mother from Texas explains her reasons for bringing up her kids without god

When my son was around 3 years old, he used to ask me a lot of questions about heaven. Where is it? How do people walk without a body? How will I find you? You know the questions that kids ask.

For over a year, I lied to him and made up stories that I didn’t believe about heaven. Like most parents, I love my child so much that I didn’t want him to be scared. I wanted him to feel safe and loved and full of hope. But the trade-off was that I would have to make stuff up, and I would have to brainwash him into believing stories that didn’t make sense, stories that I didn’t believe either.

One day he would know this, and he would not trust my judgment. He would know that I built an elaborate tale—not unlike the one we tell children about Santa—to explain the inconsistent and illogical legend of God.

And so I thought it was only right to be honest with my children. I am a non-believer, and for years I’ve been on the fringe in my community. As a blogger, though, I’ve found that there are many other parents out there like me. We are creating the next generation of kids, and there is a wave of young agnostics, atheists, free thinkers and humanists rising up through the ranks who will, hopefully, lower our nation’s religious fever.

Here are a few of the reasons why I am raising my children without God.

continues http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282?hpt=hp_bn1

her blog is here http://kidswithoutreligion.wordpress.com/
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 16, 2013 1:30 pm

The comments are classic. People telling her she hasn't thought hard enough, she should just believe, she doesn't really love her child. And a few just yelling about their favourite sky master being the best. Oh and a smattering of intelligent comments coming from both sides huddled in between.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Business as usual then. :lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

I saw that on cnn.com last night and was actually stunned that they posted it. And it's still there this morning! It's a really excellent post too.

I love it!

:thumbup:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jamest » Jan 18, 2013 12:17 am

I'm a theist [of sorts], but don't raise my kids with God. As parents, I think that the greatest gift we can give our kids is the opportunity to think about this stuff for themselves, when they're old enough to do so. Brainwashing, from whatever direction, should not be lauded. I actually cringed at the point where she said "We are creating the next generation of kids". We should not be doing that. That's how you end up with generations of adults unable to think for themselves.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » Jan 18, 2013 1:44 am

"..just believe" - yes, just accept what ever happens to be the more popular religion of the age. I mean, you don't want to stand out or stand up for yourself, do ya.
Brave woman though. Must be tough.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 20, 2013 12:09 pm

It's interesting to note the countries where publishing this would cause any form of surprise or consternation - the majority are theocratic states with serious human rights abuses, where a woman's perspective would be irrelevant anyway.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Ruby Rubix » Apr 16, 2013 3:55 am

It is amazing to me the amount of people who think you have to raise kids with a religion. There are many good, rational people who go back to the church they were raised in once they have children because they think if they do not their children will never learn ethics or morals. I must admit, I did not have any definite answers when I started having children, but I was not going to lie to them and tell them to believe in something I don't. My best guess was that teaching by example would be what would have the most impact. I have also taught them that no matter what they think personally, they should respect the beliefs of others. So far so good: my oldest is a pretty awesome teen who feels she can talk with me about almost anything and I completely trust her. My 2 younger ones are very sweet girls, though that middle one has a bit of a wild streak. She is more likely to question what I say and do her own thing, but she would never do anything outside of reasonable.
Ruby Rubix

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ruby! :cheers:

I agree with you. I cringe when I hear people say children must go to church to learn morals. It's baffling.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SicariusSqualo » Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am

There was a similar argument on Greek television about a year ago, but the discussion had to do with a couple that decided not to baptize their kids. The parents were both Orthodox Christians but thought it would be better to leave the choice to the children. Boy did that create a commotion. I think that's the best way to go. If I were a parent I would go through the process of teaching my children about the history and beliefs of various religions but I'd leave the choice to them. Whether they'll lack or have a religion would be their business.
"..instead the poor men think women are bitches for not wanting them as fuckers.they dont understnd that women dont want fuckers.men want women fuckers..."

"i tried to find a site of atheists cat lover nonsmoker "

-RatSkep Peer
SicariusSqualo

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education