Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately?

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately?

#301  Postby Rumraket » Aug 24, 2015 12:59 pm

pl0bs wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:EDIT: Best not to be guided too much by pl0bs, though. Plants sense light, even though they don't experience it.
We actually dont know if they experience it or not. The idea that they have experiences conflicts with our anthropomorphic intuitions.

Btw dont believe everything the chaps here say about me, theyve been trolling me for years just because im not a physicalist.

We've been trolling pl0bs for years. :lol:

Yep, time to bring another Irony meter home.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#302  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 24, 2015 7:50 pm

pl0bs wrote:So the idea that some organ evolved over time and then actually created something new (C), is inconsistent with how everything else in evolution works. If something ever deserved to be called a miracle, the creation of C by brains would be it.

In that case, you must think that all species (or even all individuals?) must have existed since the big bang, right?
:roll:
C isn't a thing, "created by brains", it's just the way our particular kind of brain works, that's all. It's the brain's way of representing the mass of input data it receives from the senses (mainly the eyes) in an easily understandable format. It is sometimes sad that a picture is worth a thousand words, and there is something in that.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#303  Postby pl0bs » Aug 25, 2015 1:34 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
pl0bs wrote:So the idea that some organ evolved over time and then actually created something new (C), is inconsistent with how everything else in evolution works. If something ever deserved to be called a miracle, the creation of C by brains would be it.

In that case, you must think that all species (or even all individuals?) must have existed since the big bang, right?
:roll:
C isn't a thing, "created by brains", it's just the way our particular kind of brain works, that's all. It's the brain's way of representing the mass of input data it receives from the senses (mainly the eyes) in an easily understandable format. It is sometimes sad that a picture is worth a thousand words, and there is something in that.
Response is here: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2 ... l#p2286278
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
that leprechauns create gold coins. - UndercoverElephant
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#304  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 25, 2015 2:34 pm

So, you think consciousness is just an arrangement of particles and forces, just like brains, cats and trees? Or do you think it is consciousness that arranges particles and forces? :scratch:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#305  Postby tolman » Sep 03, 2015 2:24 pm

pl0bs wrote:Btw dont believe everything the chaps here say about me, theyve been trolling me for years just because im not a physicalist.

So does everyone who's 'not a physicalist' write posts dripping with sad juvenile arrogance and pathetic repeated claims to have 'won' every conversation despite quite clearly having little or no ability to convince anyone of anything?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#306  Postby lucek » Sep 03, 2015 8:44 pm

pl0bs wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:EDIT: Best not to be guided too much by pl0bs, though. Plants sense light, even though they don't experience it.
We actually dont know if they experience it or not. The idea that they have experiences conflicts with our anthropomorphic intuitions.

Btw dont believe everything the chaps here say about me, theyve been trolling me for years just because im not a physicalist.

Yes plobs We explain ourselves in excruciating degree every time you ignore us because we are trolling you. :roll:
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection