Global Warming Shortening Bird Wingspan?

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Global Warming Shortening Bird Wingspan?

#1  Postby Ironclad » Apr 01, 2020 11:10 am

BBC News - Climate change: Warming clips the nightingale's wings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52111309
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Global Warming Shortening Bird Wingspan?

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 01, 2020 2:10 pm

The article's offered reasoning looks a bit sketchy - a sense of post hoc ergo propter hoc - so I went to look at the original submission and it's been taken down?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Spearthrower wrote:The article's offered reasoning looks a bit sketchy - a sense of post hoc ergo propter hoc - so I went to look at the original submission and it's been taken down?

Might have been an April fools joke the publication became aware of. The authors and the the university do exist, though.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Ironclad » Apr 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Hmmm

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2020 4:13 pm

This however appears to be a valid study

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:The article's offered reasoning looks a bit sketchy - a sense of post hoc ergo propter hoc - so I went to look at the original submission and it's been taken down?

Might have been an April fools joke the publication became aware of. The authors and the the university do exist, though.

Might just be a hiccup in the webpage, no idea.

I am sure that any offered reasoning will be clearer than reported in BBC though.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Apr 01, 2020 5:38 pm

If their wings keep getting shorter they'll definitely need a strand of creeper and two swallows.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Ironclad » Apr 02, 2020 10:51 am

Or a train ticket lol

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#9  Postby zoon » Apr 02, 2020 11:51 am

The original article "Climate change and maladaptive wing shortening in a long-distance migratory bird", by Carolina Remacha, César Rodríguez, Javier de la Puente and Javier Pérez-Tris, is here, though it's behind a paywall except for the abstract:
Abstract
Contemporary phenotypic trends associated with global change are widely documented, but whether such trends always denote trait optimization under changed conditions remains obscure. Natural selection has shaped the wings of long-distance migratory birds to minimize the costs of transport, and new optimal wing shapes could be promoted by migration patterns altered due to global change. Alternatively, wing shape could vary as a correlated response to selection on other traits favored in a changing environment, eventually moving away from the optimal shape for migration and increasing transport costs. Data from 20 yr of monitoring 2 Common Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos) populations breeding in central Spain, where environmental conditions for breeding have deteriorated during recent decades due to increased summer drought, show that birds have reduced wing length relative to body size over the period 1995–2014. However, long-winged nightingales survived their first round-trip migration better, and the shorter the average wing length of individuals, the stronger the survival-associated natural selection favoring longer wings. Maladaptive short wings may have arisen because the mortality costs of migration are outweighed by reproductive benefits accrued by short-winged nightingales in these populations. Assuming that the phenotypic integration of morphological and reproductive adaptations of migratory birds has a genetic basis, we hypothesize that the maladaptive trend towards shorter wings may be a correlated response to selection for moderate breeding investment in drying habitat. Our results provide evidence that contemporary phenotypic change may deviate average trait values from their optima, thereby increasing our understanding of the ecological constraints underpinning adaptation to rapid global change.
zoon

Print view this post

#10  Postby Svartalf » Apr 02, 2020 12:20 pm

so, is that something serious or an april fool?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Hermit » Apr 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Svartalf wrote:so, is that something serious or an april fool?

Short of paying up for the full quid it will be difficult to find out, but my guess is it seems to me that it's not a prank. Someone at Auk might have placed the study in the freebie section. As soon as the mistake was discovered, it was moved behind the paywall. Hence the 404.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection